Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Paxo......
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-08-2012, 03:32 PM
One of mine regularly sneaks into the house and helps herself to cat food .
She's not even fussed when she's caught, Daisy found her in the livingroom yesterday and it was Daisy who came running out again, not Lucinda, she was still helping herself to a packet of Digestives
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by celli View Post
One of mine regularly sneaks into the house and helps herself to cat food .
She's not even fussed when she's caught, Daisy found her in the livingroom yesterday and it was Daisy who came running out again, not Lucinda, she was still helping herself to a packet of Digestives
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Mine get mealworms when we have them for the wild birds and that's about it. They are free range though and can often be found in the muck heap looking for bugs.

Helen
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2012, 06:36 PM
I've always thought tomato plants and the leaves were toxic to chickens and shouldn't be fed.
My lot dont get a lot of treats as such, but they do like to wander on the lawn and get their own.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2012, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by girliebiker View Post
I've always thought tomato plants and the leaves were toxic to chickens and shouldn't be fed.
My lot dont get a lot of treats as such, but they do like to wander on the lawn and get their own.
I don't feed mine tomato plants or the leaves either as I was told that by the Hen welfare, but they do get the leaves from fruits trees like plum trees etc., my son fetches them from time to time from his garden and of course they love grass
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2012, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by girliebiker View Post
That's what I was told too, aren't tomato plants a member of the nightshade family ?
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2012, 08:51 AM
I'd like to say its true but their is many speculation about many food items you should and shouldn't give.

Some hens have naturally higher intolorance then others to certain toxins but in small quantities it would not be enough to do them harm.

They say you can find small traces of cyanide in apple cores which is why they should not be fed or thrown out but according to one site the traces are too small to cause any real problems.

People say lots of things I guess it varries from chook to chook.

I have fed items such as brocoli heads, lettuce, cabbege and tommato leaves and have not had any ill birds. I think that people worry too much sometimes.

The latest thing is about bread though I am unsure if thats just scair mongering as wild birds are fed bread all the time and no ones shown any proof that it can sufficate a bird.

Not to mention ducks if it was such a problem their should be signs at ponds saying don't feed the birds.
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Mine regularly sneak into the greenhouse to steal the tomatoes - but they never touch the leaves - why would they when they have juicy tomatoes to eat
They are also often to be found 'bouncing' under the apple tree trying to reach the apples. Looks like they've succeeded this morning as there's have a dozen baby apples being munched under the tree!!

Em x
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >