Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-02-2007, 05:19 PM

Advice please - dog sleeping problems when away from home

Hi
We took our pup on holiday when he was six months old to a holiday cottage. He normally sleeps downstairs in his cage at home and is quite happy there and also if we go out at all through the day.

When we took him on holiday we thought he would be fine sleeping in his cage as normal. We tried him in his cage downstairs, in the bedroom and on the landing in the holiday cottage and he was crying, panting and salivating and seemed quite stressed. We did persevere to see if he would settle but he didn't. We then tried him in the bedroom out of his cage and he was still stressed and pacing about there. We ended up with him sleeping downstairs out of the cage in the living room, with one of us on the sofa as he is a big chewer and they had a nice leather sofa.

He did used to sleep in the bedroom at home in his cage when he first came home and one night he just cried for an hour for no reason and he has been downstairs ever since.

We want him to sleep in his cage wherever we put him as we have always taken our dogs on holiday and we can't be sleeping downstairs all the time.

It can't be seperation anxiety as he would not settle even in the bedroom with us. We have put him in kennels for the day a couple of times to try and get him used to new places and they said he was fine there. It is a mystery to us but we are going away again soon and would like to solve this for then if we can. We have tried putting nice kongs and chews in his cage and he tends to eat them and then start crying. I would think that he was just pushing his luck but he does pant and salivate so it does look like genuine stress.

Thanks for any advice.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Is it just stress at being in a new place, with different smells etc?

When we moved house, Max was very difficult to settle for the first few nights, as everything was differently set out etc.

Do you have a bedtime routine etc? Did you stick to it when you were away? Max always has a gravy bone before bed, and can get quite upset if he doesn't get it (paces around and won't get on his bed).
ramoth
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-02-2007, 02:42 PM
When I take mine away they always sleep in the bedroom with me, at home they have their own beds downstairs. The two oldies are fine and will settle immediately and I think are comforted by the fact that we are close and 'cos we are relaxed they are. Our youngest took longer when we first took her don't forget 6 months is still very young and they don't understand going on holiday. The best thing you can do is either make sure she is safe in her cage and leave him to it without any fuss (even if he does cry) as the more you worry with them the worse they get, or keep him in the bedroom with you. It's difficult on hols because we worry more about what they will get up to and then pass that stress on to them.

Good luck next time
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-02-2007, 01:54 AM
Thanks for the advice. We did follow the same routine and gave him a nice treat to go to bed with. Our last dogs were happy wherever we slept so this is a new one to us. It is possibly just his age? We have booked 2 nights away to give it a go and he will be nine months. We also have herbal calming tablets for anxiety to help.
We did persevere for two hours to see if he would settle but we just couldn't sleep and were worried about him panting so much. We are happy with him in the bedroom with us but it didn't make a difference and he still cried and paced the floor. We do want to take him away as it is his holiday too. Hope it will be better next time.
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Please does anyone have any more ideas on this. I have tried him in his cage in the bedroom and even at the other end of the living room and he cries and scratches to get out, but is happy if the cage is in it's usual position. I don't want him to dislike his cage as he is a big chewer so does need to go in his cage still for his own safety as he pulls plugs out of the walls etc. Thanks.