Our sister sites
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-12-2006, 03:06 AM

Sleeping problems -

As you can see by the time I am posting this....I have sleeping problems

I got up at 8.15am and I'm still wide awake 19hrs later

I will go to sleep at about 5am, and then I'm awake again at about 8-8.30am for the rest of the day. This happens every day and night without fail.

I know some people only survive on little sleep, but 3hrs a night cant be normal

I've been to the docs ages ago, they gave me sleeping pills I don't feel tired at all, and if I go to bed I will toss and turn for ages and then end up getting up again.

Any suggestions as to how I can get more sleep? Apart from knocking myself out with a very large, hard object
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2006, 09:22 AM
If you don't feel tired, then why bother worrying about getting more sleep? My Mum was a severe insomniac, but never felt tired, so always put the time to good use ...... *quietly*
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2006, 10:03 AM
hi

dont know what to suggest as i often dont sleep well for nights and then get so tired that i sleep the clock round. i am like you in the sense i just cant lie in bed awake for hours. night time tv does occainsionaly send me back to sleep for a while

i will join you in for looking for something hard and heavy to knock ourselves out with

sue
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-12-2006, 10:11 AM
Apparently if you stay up for a solid 24hrs - no coffee- just willpower then go to sleep at a respectable hour (eg if you wish to go to bed at 10pm in future go to bed at 10pm)you will adjust your sleep pattern.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2006, 11:38 AM
I too sometimes have problems sleeping..... and yet other times I am falling asleep on the couch downstairs and being told to go to bed!

I've been to the docs, but as it all to do with me not coping after losing Mum at Easter he didn't want to give me sleeping tablets, esp as I'm not a fan.

You could try all the usual tricks...

1. Not watching tv or doing anything mentally taxing before bed (and yes that includes chatting on here! )

2. Perhaps reading in bed for a set time to relax before sleeping.

3. Eating a banana 1hour before going to sleep. They have chemicals in them that help you relax.

4. A warm drink before bedtime to wind down.

5. I have a G & T last thing, or a nip of brandy and that does help.

If you're like me anything is worth a try as I hate tossing and turning.

Strange thing is that when I do get a good sleep I have very weird dreams..... last night I dreamt I was chatting on here with you lot all night! Very vivid too!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Cut out caffine!
If you drink tea or coffee, have de-caffinated!

Don't have electrical items in your room (TV etc).

Hope you manage to sleep soon!
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Lavender is supposed to promote sleep. Try putting a few drops of lavender oil on your pillow, or in a warm bath before bed.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-12-2006, 02:13 PM
If you're not tired after getting 5hrs kip-i shouldnt worry about it.I only need 6hrs and then do a days work with no ill effects.
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2006, 04:18 PM
I have a;lways had sleep problems i usually get about 3-4 hours a night thats with sleeping pills i never used to get that because i spent most of the night tossing + turning can you think of any reason i mean do you tend to think alot at night or do you have bad dreams or very stressful days because sometimes these can keep you awake
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-12-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
If you don't feel tired, then why bother worrying about getting more sleep? My Mum was a severe insomniac, but never felt tired, so always put the time to good use ...... *quietly*
I worry about the amount of sleep I survive on as surely it can't be very good for my health. It often gets to about 3 or 4 pm and I start feeling tired, but then I snap out of it and am awake til early hours again.

Honest, I have tried everything in the books, one of the only things that does help me sleep is having a few beers (!!!) but I wouldn't wanna drink every night...just to put me to sleep!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >