Our sister sites
Our sister sites
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2005, 07:37 PM

Ginger (my Cat)

(Hope this is ok to post here)

As I was reading about Harley (Jaxs Rottie beinig hit by car) we were waiting on a call from the vets.

I let my lads into the garden around 12noon, they heard nextdoors cat winging (nothing new) then Reeno wouldnt come away from the gate sniffing and crying. I didnt look thinking it was just the cats.
Stes dad called us with Ginger in his arms, I ran down to see what was wrong, it looked like he had oil on him He was put on the unit in the kitchen not moving, there was very little movement in his back legs. We called the vets and took him down there, he didnt seem in any pain just couldnt move.

The vet said he might of been run over/hit by car which is what we were thinking, so she gave him pain killer injection and called us 1h later. Ginger had been meowing (hes very vocal at best of times) and went over to food, put only putting very little weight on his back legs, so the vet was hopefull that he hadnt broken anthing.

He was Knocked out at x Rayed. When we were called back the news wasnt as good as we had hoped. Ginger has broken his Pelvise in 3 places the vet was surrprised as he had been walking a bit and not cried at all.

We have him back home with us but hes got to live in a cage (dog cage) only let out for litter tray times. and go back to the vets on Monday morning.

Its so unfair, hes a cat that loves the outside, he lives to go out. Hes asleep in the bedroom with a blanket in his cage with water and the radio on.

How could someone hit a Cat and drive off??? Its not as if he goes near the road, all our Cats stay in the backs where cars dont go.

I am not a Cat lover but Ginger is such a babe. I have never been so annoyed.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2005, 07:39 PM
Poor Ginger...hope he makes a swift recovery
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2005, 07:45 PM
Awww poor Ginger
Hope he gets better soon
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2005, 07:52 PM
Aawww poor Ginger

How long is he to be in his cage for? Can't they operate?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-01-2005, 07:57 PM
Don't be too down, it may not be as bad as it seems if only the pelvis is damaged it has a good chance of healing. My friend at works springer 'Hatty' broke her pelvis when hit by a car and it healed wonderfully And I have known cats make a full recovery too When cats get hit and live it often makes them scared of the road so in the end some good can come of it and they don't get hit again.
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2005, 08:00 PM
We were told that they can operate on him but as they are 3 clean breaks they dont really like to. If they werent clean breaks then they are happier to operate. We dont know how long he has to be in a cage for. We were told it can take 6weeks for the breaks to heal but they were bad breaks so could be longer. I have never had an animal with a broken bone so dont really know what to expect.

It was funny at the vets, Ginger opend his mouth to meown at the vet and she jumped back thinking he would bite Ginger is so laid back he wouldnt know how to bite.
Meg
Supervisor

29-01-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by enerosar
We were told that they can operate on him but as they are 3 clean breaks they dont really like to
Hi again E
.....the ones I am speakin about were not operated on and pinned they were left to heal with restricted movement..this included Hatty the springer who later had hydrotherapy, sorry can't see how old ginger is a younger cat should heal in six weeks I would have thought
Also...plenty of good food and calcium, the soft bones like the ones in tinned fish are good mashed up with the fish eg. pilchards/sardines/salmon (pink is cheap) in oil or tomato (not brine) and of course milk.
Carole
Supervisor

29-01-2005, 08:08 PM
Poor Ginger
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2005, 08:12 PM
We think Ginger is about 4yr old. Ste got him at about 7mth old as a rescue, this 1st owners treated him as a football so we dont know if he already had damage to his bones. I am just about to go see if he wil use is litter tray as we were told there might be some nerve damage but dont know yet.
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2005, 08:15 PM
poor ginger
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >