register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Is CM improving as a TV trainer & offering more apt advice
Yes 45 52.33%
No 41 47.67%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 21 of 84 « First < 11 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 31 71 > Last »
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2009, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
so here are a few experts opinions then...

Dr. Nicholas Dodman, the director of the Animal Behavior Clinic at the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine of Tufts University, has said "Cesar Millan's methods are based on flooding and punishment. The results, though immediate, will be only transitory. His methods are misguided, outmoded, in some cases dangerous, and often inhumane. You would not want to be a dog under his sphere of influence. The sad thing is that the public does not recognize the error of his ways." In a February 23, 2006, New York Times article, Dr. Dodman says of Millan's show, "My college thinks it is a travesty. We've written to National Geographic Channel and told them they have put dog training back 20 years."[3]

Jean Donaldson, the San Francisco SPCA Director of The Academy for Dog Trainers states,
"Practices such as physically confronting aggressive dogs and using of choke collars for fearful dogs are outrageous by even the most diluted dog training standards. A profession that has been making steady gains in its professionalism, technical sophistication and humane standards has been greatly set back. I have long been deeply troubled by the popularity of Mr. Millan as so many will emulate him. To co-opt a word like whispering for arcane, violent and technically unsound practice is unconscionable."[4]

On September 6, 2006, The American Humane Association issued a press release condemning Millan's tactics as "inhumane, outdated, and improper" and called on the National Geographic Channel to cease airing the program immediately.[5]

In October 2006, the International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants wrote a letter to the National Geographic Channel regarding concerns "that the program may lead children to engage in unsafe behaviors." The Association called for a change in the program's rating of TV-G.[6]

Thanks C & D! All very interesting and informative but again, peoples' opinions! Just because they have letters after their name, doesn't make them right It doesn't make them wrong either My point is that we all see what we see and make our own opinions regarding what we observe. It's just that some people on here try to destroy peoples beliefs on what they see regarding CM (this has happened on virtually every CM discussion I've seen on Dogsey). It doesn't offend or annoy me that you, Mahooli......................the list is endless, feel that CM is not right in his approach, yet there seems this overwhelming urge by those who are not in agreement with CM, to make him out to be a devil in a man's body! I just don't get it

To be honest, I've said so many times that I won't get involved in a CM debate, as it always goes round in circles and nobody gets anywhere It's just that when I see "violent" and other such inappropriate wording regarding this man that has helped so many people in understanding their dogs' behaviour and helping to deal with it, it makes me feel like I need to put in a word. However, I do realise it is falling on deaf ears
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2009, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
In your opinion! They look fine to me and millions of others. Everyone has their own views, it's just that you seem to think yours are right. Your views are your opinion. If it were your dogs that were "not overwhelmingly happy" I'd take your opinion as read but you are just observing, same as I, so I don't think your opinion is any more valid than anyone elses that isn't closely involved with the dogs concerned
how about this then?

Several instances of cruel and dangerous treatment that are promoted as acceptable training methods have been recorded by the American Humane Association.

For example, in one episode an unruly dog was held down by its neck after having been hung by a tight collar at the hands of Millan. This would have partially cut off the blood supply to the dog's brain and partially asphyxiated the animal. If a member of the public were to be seen treating their dog in such manner they would be prosecuted for animal abuse.

President of the Animal Protection Services for the Society, Bill Torgerson, DVM, MBA noted that the safety of a woman with a GSD was jeopardised in one episode by the use of an electric shock collar. The tormented dog redirected its aggression to its owner biting her arm. Television audiences never saw Millan attempt to modify the dog's behaviour by causing pain.

In fact a television producer, Floyd Suarez sued Cesar Millan for injuries that his dog allegedly sustained whilst having behavioural training at Millan's facility. Suarez says that his dog was overworked on a treadmill and suffered from the use of a choke collar. Suarez found his dog bleeding from the nose and mouth, gasping for breath in an oxygen tent. The dog also had severe bruising to his rear inner thighs.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
All dogs will present some universally obvious signals when distressed (or happy etc etc) THAT is what I am seeing. If you cannot recognise these signs then I suggest you go and find out about it.It is also well known that in the main the vast majority of the dog owning public are not that well versed on dog behaviour so of course they wont see anything wrong with it because they don't know.
Becky

Again, your opinion that I'm not recognising these signs You must realise that your thoughts are YOUR thoughts just as your OPINIONS are your opinions. We all have those
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-05-2009, 11:28 AM
"violence" - perlease...............think you might be getting a little dramatic now............
Yes, violence. I consider many of his methods to be overtly violent, these include the kicks, finger jabs, forced pins and the hangings he regularly gives dogs. I think he also intentionally puts the dogs into negative situations in order to "dominate" the behavior out of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPRAQXOAMz0&
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Im not saying to people not to use his methods, its up to them,

what I will say though is.................IF this is the first method you use, if your dog is really so bad you have to use these methods, you left it to long to work on the dog, let the behaviour get to far.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
how about this then?

Several instances of cruel and dangerous treatment that are promoted as acceptable training methods have been recorded by the American Humane Association.

For example, in one episode an unruly dog was held down by its neck after having been hung by a tight collar at the hands of Millan. This would have partially cut off the blood supply to the dog's brain and partially asphyxiated the animal. If a member of the public were to be seen treating their dog in such manner they would be prosecuted for animal abuse.

President of the Animal Protection Services for the Society, Bill Torgerson, DVM, MBA noted that the safety of a woman with a GSD was jeopardised in one episode by the use of an electric shock collar. The tormented dog redirected its aggression to its owner biting her arm. Television audiences never saw Millan attempt to modify the dog's behaviour by causing pain.

In fact a television producer, Floyd Suarez sued Cesar Millan for injuries that his dog allegedly sustained whilst having behavioural training at Millan's facility. Suarez says that his dog was overworked on a treadmill and suffered from the use of a choke collar. Suarez found his dog bleeding from the nose and mouth, gasping for breath in an oxygen tent. The dog also had severe bruising to his rear inner thighs.
Is all of that fact C & D, as in brought to Court and so on. You know the old saying "innocent until proven guilty" and all that You say CM was sued, I've not heard of this. So the legal system found him guilty of the above and the TV are still putting him on air It's all news to me
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2009, 11:30 AM
OK so this is the opinion of a vet behaviourist...

From Andrew Luescher, DVM, Veterinary Behaviorist
Animal Behavior Clinic
Purdue University

I reviewed the four preview-videotapes kindly submitted to me by National Geographic. I very much appreciate having gotten the opportunity to see these tapes before the program goes on the air. I will be happy to review any programs that deal with domestic animal behavior and training. I believe this is a responsibility of our profession.I have been involved in continuing education for dog trainers for over 10 years... I must tell you that Millan’s techniques are outdated and unacceptable not only to the veterinary community, but also to dog trainers.
The show repeatedly cautions the viewers not to attempt these techniques at home. What then is the purpose of this show? I think we have to be realistic: people will try these techniques at home, much to the detriment of their pets.

Millan’s techniques are almost exclusively based on two techniques: Flooding and positive punishment. In flooding, an animal is exposed to a fear (or aggression) evoking stimulus and prevented from leaving the situation, until it stops reacting. Flooding has therefore always been considered a risky and cruel method of treatment.

Positive punishment refers to applying an aversive stimulus or correction as a consequence of a behavior. There are many concerns about punishment aside from its unpleasantness. Punishment is entirely inappropriate for most types of aggression and for any behavior that involves anxiety. Punishment can suppress most behavior but does not resolve the underlying problem, i.e., the fear or anxiety. Even in cases where correctly applied punishment might be considered appropriate, many conditions have to be met that most dog owners can’t meet: The punishment has to be applied every time the behavior is displayed, within ½ second of the behavior, and at the correct intensity.

Most of the theoretical explanations that Millan gives regarding causes of the behavior problems are wrong. Not one of these dogs had any issue with dominance. Not one of these dogs wanted to control their owners. What he was right about was that calmness and consistency are extremely important, but they don’t make the presented methods appropriate or justifiable.

The last episode (compulsive disorder) is particularly unsettling because compulsive disorder is related to an imbalance in neurotransmitter levels or receptors, and is therefore unequivocally a medical condition. Would it be appropriate to treat obsessive compulsive disorder in people with punishment? Or have a layperson go around treating such patients?

My colleagues and I and innumerable leaders in the dog training community have worked now for decades to eliminate such cruel, ineffective (in terms of true cure) and inappropriate techniques.
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Again, your opinion that I'm not recognising these signs You must realise that your thoughts are YOUR thoughts just as your OPINIONS are your opinions. We all have those
Mahooli is correct. These signs/postures ect., are well documented. It's not an opinion that you don't recognize them, it is a fact.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by Promethean View Post
Yes, violence. I consider many of his methods to be overtly violent, these include the kicks, finger jabs, forced pins and the hangings he regularly gives dogs. I think he also intentionally puts the dogs into negative situations in order to "dominate" the behavior out of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPRAQXOAMz0&
Oh my word and people claims his dogs are well behaved when they bite the 'customers' (for want of a better word) dogs in order to stress them out to get the behaviour they want on camera
I didn't think much of CM before but he really scrapes the bottom of the barrel now!
Becky
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Your opinion is does not merit consideration because it is not supported by the evidence. We already know that many of Millan's justifications for his actions vis a vis wolves and "mother nature" are patently false; his opinions on how dogs learn are wrong. And his use of metaphysics in regards to training has no place.

Feel free to slap your dog around on the word of a tv dog groomer, I have better methods that don't involve hitting them.
Closed Thread
Page 21 of 84 « First < 11 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 31 71 > Last »