View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Poor Woody. I am sure he will take it all in his stride, though.

As for the other woman, as admirable as it for her to be working with a problem dog, her dog should have been muzzled. Especially as she was contemplating letting it off lead not knowing how it would react. Hopefully she won't make the same mistake again.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks everyo0ne for all your concern, advice and comments.

His ear is healing really well, the only things I am concerned about are a) the amount of hair trapped in it and b) how long we can keep it scabbed over and protected (i.e. perhaps no swimming for a while or mad off lead walks in bushes etc).

We're just back from the park again (returning to the scene of the crime) and he was absolutely fine, full of beans, bounding about and playing happily with other dogs!

I am so proud of my little man. I guess, as someone else said this is the unfortunate thing about dog ownership and living in fear of it happening again will not help either of us, but at least if it does I will be more confident at how I handle it/deal with it.

Thanks again guys, you're great xx
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2009, 07:10 PM
You could always shave the hair around the wound off. If he has long hair on his ears (and being a Springer, he most probably does ) shaving the bit around the wound will let the air get to it and should hopefully speed up the healing process.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
You could always shave the hair around the wound off. If he has long hair on his ears (and being a Springer, he most probably does ) shaving the bit around the wound will let the air get to it and should hopefully speed up the healing process.
This is Woody we're talking about, how the hell do I get him to sit still enough to shave him!!

Have thought about it though.
Merz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Sorry to hear about Woody what an experience for you both-hope your both over it quickly
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Sorry to hear about this mate, hope you and Woody are ok now and it doesn't affect him long term.

I guess it's a bit like when you have a car accident - they always say to get back in the car as soon as possible otherwise you'll never drive again so maybe it's best to get Woody back into playing with other dogs as soon as possible.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

08-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Ears are notorious for bleeding, one small nick and there is blood everywhere.
I agree, once two years ago Bara had a bit of a tiff with Rianna and just nicked her ear, there was snow on the ground and blood everywhere It looked like a scene from a horror movie Ears bleed terribly and the snag is that with dogs the fangs can catch a floppy ear so easily.

As you know I never claim to be an expert but with Bara she'll usually get her mouth around Rianna (or sometimes me) but 'back off' i.e. not really bite, but ears tend to catch in the fangs.

So what am I saying Just that this dog was maybe just making sure she was the dominant dog and not actually attacking Woody.

Even so I would insist she's keept on the lead around you in future and I hope Woody is OK now, dogs do get over such things quickly and who knows he might even know what the other dog was trying to say i.e. "Don't mess with me I'm the leader"

You've provided him with security which is the most important thing, that gives him confidence and IMO will stop him from suffering any psychological effects, they are not like kids in this respect they forget quickly if no injuries are involved. (OK I know he had his ear bitten but as Mini says these do bleed out of all proportion to the size of wound.)

As I say I'm no expert but it has happened with our two before.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Just wanted to send you and Woody a hugxxx
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
We're just back from the park again (returning to the scene of the crime) and he was absolutely fine, full of beans, bounding about and playing happily with other dogs!

I am so proud of my little man. I guess, as someone else said this is the unfortunate thing about dog ownership and living in fear of it happening again will not help either of us, but at least if it does I will be more confident at how I handle it/deal with it.
The dogs forget about it really quickly. As a certain Mexican says: they live in the moment. IMO it's the owners who create the fear in the dog by worrying all the time. That's been my experience anyway.

If you are happy and relaxed then Woody will be too
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post

So what am I saying Just that this dog was maybe just making sure she was the dominant dog and not actually attacking Woody.
That's what Tilly is like - although she has never bitten another dog, she has to show them who is boss. She doesn't do it to obviously submissive dogs, but if the other dog has a very confident posture (i.e. chest out, tail up, head up) she makes a show of strength.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >