Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shirley cameron
New Member!
Female 

18-11-2006, 07:38 PM

pooping puppy/updated 27th November

Hi everyone
I wonder if you may be able to give me some advice. I have a 9 week old bassett hound who has had diorahha for the last 5 days, I have been feeding her chicken and rice and scrambled egg, nat yogurt proactive but she is still pooping. I got her from a breeder in wales who is a vet nurse and she has been great. I live in the north of scotland and wonder if it could be the change in water. Ihave started to give her boiled water. She is a very happy puppy this is not getting her down at all. the vet nurse has given me some antibiotics to give her and we are on day 2 with them. I am just wondering if anyone can recommend anything ealse

The nurse did say to add some wheatabix to her eggs and i thought that would make her more loose.

Thanks

Shirley
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 07:42 PM

aww bless i am sorry to hear your babe is not to well when my two are not well they are given dry porridge oats we also feed it to the lambs as well hope you get your babe sorted
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-11-2006, 07:44 PM
Hiya Shirley, hows Elgin... just up the road fae me

I had same problem with Jake when I first got him home but after a week or so he was fine. The vet gave me same advice as your doing, Rice and chicken, scrambled egg ... A lot of changes for the little one, with the move, new surroundings etc, maybe just all the excitement got too much. Hopefully your little one will settle too just as Jake did.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 07:45 PM
Hi Shirley, welcome to Dogsey. Sometimes chicken can make tummys worse, if I have any that are poorly I give them white fish, it seems to do the trick with mine. Hope your baby is soon much better.
shirley cameron
New Member!
Female 

18-11-2006, 08:03 PM
Hi
Thanks for your advice I will try that.

Shirley
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Hi Shirley, welcome to Dogsey. Sometimes chicken can make tummys worse, if I have any that are poorly I give them white fish, it seems to do the trick with mine. Hope your baby is soon much better.
Hi Shirley welcome to Dogsey
I agree with scorpio, white fish with the rice is better than chicken, you can buy frozen white fish quite cheaply in the supermarket coley /cod/haddock is fine.

Mass produced chicken is 'grown quickly' and contains a lot of fat and you want as little fat as possible while the diarrhoea continues. I can tell you of something that would stop the diarrhoea but won't in case your little one has picked up a bit of an infection which is best out of his tummy.

If the diarrhoea continues you really should see a vet to make sure your puppy isn't getting dehydrated, also it would be a good idea to add the tiniest bit of honey to some water and give him that too.

Ps as bluemerle lover says porridge is a good thing for diarrhoea too, I would make it with water not milk and you could add the honey to this instead of to the water.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 08:56 PM
Welcome to Dogsey!!
Some fantastic advice already.
Is the diarhea bad?
How many episodes a day?
Is it like water or just squidgy (sorry!)?
After 5 days it shouldn't just be 'settling in' tummy, you should be seeing an improvement.(Sorry re read your post, I assumed you'd had him 5 days but he's had the runs that long? How long has he been home with you?)
Has the pup been wormed?
Vaccinated?
The pup seems young to be put straight onto antibiotics. Were you offered probiotics? Did they take a sample?
It could be lots of different things causing this and messing aroud with the diet at this stage, could make matters worse, if the pups tum is settling.
If there is no improvement after 3 to 4 days on the antibiotics (did the pup have a raised temperature when the vet saw him?)then I think it would be wise to return to the vet.

Apologies for all the questions, it's just it could be any number of things and vets now can be reluctant to give antibiotics to such a young pup unless they are convinced it's an infection.
Hope he's feeling better soon.
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 10:33 PM
I would go for porridge over weetabix too, because it is gentler on the stomach, whilst still 'bulking up' the faeces.

from the menu are serving up, there does seem to be little bulk in the diet, and although it may well have been the change in water that was at the root of the problem, you need now to increase the 'bulk' in the diet (gradually).

Presumably the pup has been wormed regularly?

I agree if you are concerned you should speak with your vet, much better to be safe than sorry.

good luck and let us know how you get on.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Persistant 'runs' could be indicating a problem. It could possibly just be a change in the diet, water etc, or it could be a problem due to worms etc.

In an adult dog I would take away all foods for at least 24hrs - to let the stomach settle - but this isnt advisable in a small pup.

Make sure he has plenty of fresh drinking water available at all times. Feed small meals, and preferably dry foods. I wouldnt feed chicken as this can make the situation worse. Small bits of white fish, rice, oats, and even toast crusts are all ok.

Let us know how he gets on.....
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 02:01 AM
I always give my yong pups a probiotic live yoghurt as it seem to replace the good bacteria in the gut. The seem to like it as well
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >