Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2011, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
id throw stones back at the kids in all seriousness (i dont have chickens yet by the way) children can not get in my garden, the only way in is the gate, but the lock is on my side and is never left open as its hardly used. and even if they could i dont think they would as the dogs barking soon puts people off.

id make sure cats couldnt get in as i have two of my own, and wouldnt want them getting my chickens.
birds of prey are a bit different, but im wary of them now without chickens, as we had some taking small dogs out of gardens so im wary anyway.
Reminds me of the locals in Devon warning us about the black backed gulls on Putsborough beach - that they could and would take Gucci given half a chance - Gucci is my daughter's chihuahua.

I'd liked to have seen them try - that dog is like a pirhana when threatened - if one had scooped him up they would soon have dropped him like a red hot potato after the first snap!!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2011, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
Moving onto rats, many people have a phobia about of rats, I don't. I've had pet rats, granted they are different to wild rats, but I don't automatically think eeeeugh when I think about rats! Difficult one because if you don't deal with them, a neighbour will. We once found a couple of droppings in our shed, we turned the whole shed out but never found a nest. I presume one came through, found nothing worth hanging around for (the girls food is well stored) and it left. Again in terms of protection, I would be concerned that if a rat could get to my girls, a stoat could also get through such a small gap and that would pose a real risk to my hens so again, I would up my security.
I have no phobia of rats... I used to have over 30 pet ones The wild ones I see are very pretty, and rather cute.

My problem is that they are coming out in broad daylight and stealing my eggs (plus eating the food and drinking the water). We have a 50mx50m enclosure for the birds, with 2m high fencing around it (with a wobbly top to discourage climbing). Problem is we are next to a stable block, which also attracts them.

We've tried 'over the counter' poisons and traps, and have now had to resort to calling in the professionals.

I've got 16 laying birds (ducks and hens) and have had 3 eggs in 5 days, when I should be getting over 10 a day. I have found the egg shells, and the rat holes, and this morning was confronted with a rat sat by the edge of the duck pond having a wash....

I'm more concerned about Weil's disease than a stoat/weasel attack....
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Yes actually I would! I'd say trap them and set them free. My dad made a trap for them when I was a kid - it worked - they all ended up in this 'cage'.

We suspected we had mice in my first house and the only traps I put down was the ones that catch them humanely. (There never was any in the end).
But if I was to do this, I'd have to drive miles and miles and miles to release them far enough away that they wouldn't come back - and I'd be making them someone else's problem.....

Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I've had a wasps nest (and a birds nest!) in my loft every year for the last 3 years, and as much as I hate wasps I won't kill them. And as much as the birds annoy the hell out of me in the morning I haven't moved them on either (get chicks every year).

I'm no buddah/saint but whenever possible I try NOT to kill anything (apart from things like dust mites!)
Generally I will leave insects to get on with it - as I grow fruit and veg, they are very important to my garden. The only time we've had a wasps nest destroyed was 3 years ago when I got attacked by the wasp swarm, and ended up with over 30 stings on my face and head (eyes, ears, mouth etc) and my OH ended up with a broken foot. As you can imagine, we called out the council sharpish.... I had blood poisoning and OH was off work for 6 weeks..... no more wasps thanks!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
A question for people who would shoot the fox for attacking their girls. What if it wasn't a fox? What if it was a cat, dog or human or a magnificent bird of prey. Obviously, you can't go out with a shotgun and shoot a small child for killing your hens (and yes that does happen, in fact we had a case not far from me where a group of kids let someone's chicken out and stoned the poor bird). If you can't kill a 'pest problem', how would you best go about protecting your birds?
If I couldnt keep my pets safe I wouldnt have them, period.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Go, went, will go, don't go, who cares? The fact remains is that you did go lamping
Pleased you realise I went and dont "go." At last. I also went to the opera....................................once!:002 :
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Pleased you realise I went and dont "go." At last. I also went to the opera....................................once!:002 :
O Lord!!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
O Lord!!
i think the point she is trying to make is she has been. once. maybe wouldnt go again, maybe would. her point is she went to try it, just like she did the opera
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2011, 09:28 AM
i think the point she is trying to make is she has been. once. maybe wouldnt go again, maybe would. her point is she went to try it, just like she did the opera
Do you know, I can't remember now the point of all!! I've lost the will to live here!!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2011, 12:01 PM
id throw stones back at the kids in all seriousness (i dont have chickens yet by the way) children can not get in my garden, the only way in is the gate, but the lock is on my side and is never left open as its hardly used. and even if they could i dont think they would as the dogs barking soon puts people off.

id make sure cats couldnt get in as i have two of my own, and wouldnt want them getting my chickens.
birds of prey are a bit different, but im wary of them now without chickens, as we had some taking small dogs out of gardens so im wary anyway.
you and me both!

Re the cats, this is what I am trying to understand, you would make the garden cat proof to protect your hens but you would shoot a fox if it got your hens. If you could stop cats getting in (which would be pretty hard) wouldn't that also stop the fox? What I am trying to get at is why would you shoot the fox if you could just stop it getting in in the first place?
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
I have no phobia of rats... I used to have over 30 pet ones The wild ones I see are very pretty, and rather cute.

My problem is that they are coming out in broad daylight and stealing my eggs (plus eating the food and drinking the water). We have a 50mx50m enclosure for the birds, with 2m high fencing around it (with a wobbly top to discourage climbing). Problem is we are next to a stable block, which also attracts them.

We've tried 'over the counter' poisons and traps, and have now had to resort to calling in the professionals.

I've got 16 laying birds (ducks and hens) and have had 3 eggs in 5 days, when I should be getting over 10 a day. I have found the egg shells, and the rat holes, and this morning was confronted with a rat sat by the edge of the duck pond having a wash....

I'm more concerned about Weil's disease than a stoat/weasel attack....
I have heard that rats are notoriously difficult to deal with, I don't envy you that task I have to say.
Page 9 of 12 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >