Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tucsonland
New Member!
Male 

04-01-2010, 04:02 PM

Puppy Eats dog poo !

my new puppy seems to have a taste for her or others dog poo, and i am lookin for some advice on how to end this practice. She is not trained much in any fields yet, does not come when called, is just learning NO, mostly from this dog poo activity.

When on a leash, i can direct her well, and show her the NO when she goes beyond sniffing it, but when she is on her own off leash, she loves to play chase with it in her mouth ! ugh, got a finger full out of the back of her little 9 lb throat this morn, she heard my stearnest voice and NO to date. Trying to still make her feel comfy in her new home of 1 week now, and want her to feel loved and have confidence, and she is doing really well with potty training and i plan to work the next training next, coming when called etc.

Any advice is welcom on the poo debacle ! Thanks so much JERRY (and Lucy, our little Labradoodle in training)
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Actually - heaving poo put of your pup`s mouth wil only serve to convince them that Poo is a very valuable resource - after all, Dad wants it too!
This is something they should grow out of. If it really bothers you, you can try distraction (play with a ball when you spot poo coming up) - or avoidance (walk somewhere less dirty)
The more you take notice of it, the more likely the pup is to continue.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-01-2010, 06:26 PM
The best solution to stool eating, coprophagy, is cleaning them up before the dog has a chance. You can try food additives, the home remedies pineapple juice or canned pumpkin or the commercial products Forbid or Deter.

Why dogs do it is poorly understood. It may be diet related, but changing the dog's diet might cause worse problems. Whatever problems it causes for the owner, it doesn't seem to hurt the dog unless you are trying to clear up a worm infestation.

For more information see http://home.gci.net/~divs/behavior/coprophagia.html