Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bellasmom
New Member!
Female 

26-01-2012, 10:40 PM

Help epilepsy!!

Ok I really need help I have a yorkie and she has epilepsy so the doctor says. She has been on the phenobarbital for about 2 years or so and has been doing good but lately she has started having what my doctor thinks is status seizures, when she has these (status) seizures if I call her name and get her attention she stops. All my doctor did was up her dosage which we are still in the safe range to do so. I feel like he isnt really trying to figure out the real problem. My question is what is causing these so called seizure all of a sudden or could they be tremors? is she gettin immune to her medicine? Or do you think there could be anything else causing these? Plus I forgot to say she has been having excessive licking not licking herself just licking her chops. Does this have anything to do with it?
sjenks66
New Member!
Male 

28-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Hi, i have a 7 year old dalmatian called George. he was diagnosed with epilepsy when he was 2 1/2. the vets put him on Phenobarbitone and Potassium Bromide. we tried this for over 2 years, but to be honest, there was no relief from epilepsy. his fits were totally random, 2 or 3 over a couple of months or a couple every other week, there was no set pattern. he was suffering with cluster seizures from 3 or 4 upto 9 the last time in less than an hour. i have researched different remedies and cures, but nothing made a difference, e.g. giving vitamins c, a, and b complex. then one day i read about addatives in dog food that has an effect on dogs susceptible to canine epilepsy, ethoxyguin, BHA, and BHT. BHT is the worst. manufacturers are not required to list these on the tin. i stopped giving George any dog food and now feed him on freshly cooked hearts, liver, kidneys, fresh beefburgers and even tuna and kippers. he sometimes has fresh vegetables mixed in as well. we are now over 13 months seizure free. he sometimes has a twitch (like somebody making a loud noise, making him jump)
but no fits. i am not saying this is a cure, but it is currently working for us.
hope this may help
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Are you aware of this site?

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Bellasmom View Post
Plus I forgot to say she has been having excessive licking not licking herself just licking her chops. Does this have anything to do with it?
Have you mentioned this to the vet? My vet said constant licking of the lips is a sign the dog is feeling sick.

Also, what does this "status seizure" involve? I dunno about dogs but status epilepticus in humans is a medical emergency and simply calling the persons name would NOT interrupt it.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2012, 10:18 PM
but lately she has started having what my doctor thinks is status seizures, when she has these (status) seizures if I call her name and get her attention she stops.
Don't know about dogs, but in humans they won't respond once a seizure has started whether they are grand mal or absence type seizures.

What exactly happens with your dog?

It may be worth getting another opinion??
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Ok I really need help I have a yorkie and she has epilepsy so the doctor says. She has been on the phenobarbital for about 2 years or so and has been doing good but lately she has started having what my doctor thinks is status seizures, when she has these (status) seizures if I call her name and get her attention she stops. All my doctor did was up her dosage which we are still in the safe range to do so. I feel like he isnt really trying to figure out the real problem. My question is what is causing these so called seizure all of a sudden or could they be tremors? is she gettin immune to her medicine? Or do you think there could be anything else causing these? Plus I forgot to say she has been having excessive licking not licking herself just licking her chops. Does this have anything to do with it?
Hi bellasmom - I'm sorry to hear that your dog has seizures. If by status seizure you are referring to status epilepticus, this is where the dog goes into a continual seizure, or a series of seizures, lasting over around 30 minutes (without becoming conscious) and it is quite likely that the dog may die. You can't get through to them by calling them and they need emergency help.

What exactly does your dog do when she gets these seizures?
Bellasmom
New Member!
Female 

29-01-2012, 04:12 AM
Thank you so much everyone for your input I am starting to think she my not be seizing but don't get me wrong she has had a seizure befor but maybe tremors? This is what my doctor say is a "status seizure".When she plays with her toy it's like she will be in full play mood and all of a sudden stop and just shake she Doesent tip over and I don't think she looses consciousness but when I call her name she stops and continues playing this is why I am confused because when I call her she does stop. And I have mentioned the licking to my vet an he says it should go away with the increase in medicine. And thank you so much for the food advice right now I have her on the blue buffalo food is that a bad food u think? Again thank u so much everyone I am having the hardest time with this and the advice is much appreciated!!!!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-01-2012, 06:33 AM
Thank you so much everyone for your input I am starting to think she my not be seizing but don't get me wrong she has had a seizure befor but maybe tremors? This is what my doctor say is a "status seizure".When she plays with her toy it's like she will be in full play mood and all of a sudden stop and just shake she Doesent tip over and I don't think she looses consciousness but when I call her name she stops and continues playing this is why I am confused because when I call her she does stop. And I have mentioned the licking to my vet an he says it should go away with the increase in medicine. And thank you so much for the food advice right now I have her on the blue buffalo food is that a bad food u think? Again thank u so much everyone I am having the hardest time with this and the advice is much appreciated!!!!
Those are not seizures, and if your doctor calls them a "status seizure" then I would advise changing to one who knows about canine epilepsy.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 06:36 AM
Does it always happen during play and not at other times (or perhaps only at times of high excitement)? If so, did you tell your vet that?

My thoughts are that she's a terrier so it could possibly be that she is just getting herself over-excited???? Obviously, I'm not a vet and even if I were, I can't see your dog so this is, and I stress, only a suggestion.

Unfortunately, the food you mention is one that isn't readily available in the UK so it's impossible to advise on that one. Perhaps if you post an ingredients list, one of our food savvy posters will be able to advise.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 09:29 AM
Could it be a partial (focal) seizure? Have a read of this and see what you think:

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-...tial_focal.htm

I'm not sure about the licking though. My dog does this when he is about to be sick so it's not related to his seizures. He does sometimes go into a trembling mode occasionally when he's finished the seizures though.

If it's not a seizure, perhaps it is just excitement, as Brierley said? I hope so.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >