Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 07:28 AM

Don't you just hate...

Go on, rant away..

I will HAPPILY start.

Out walking my three yesterday and kevin deaf ears (oh by that i mean the teenage yob ripley) runs over to a man that has a dog with him. This has long been a problem but is getting better...albeit slowly. Her now well practised arrival at said persons feet leaves her on her back with legs in the air I call and start walking the opposite way..but what does the guy do? STROKE her!! I shouted 'please dont stroke her im trying to get her back'
He stops stroking and she comes halfway back then runs back to him..he then strokes her again. I shout the same again, he stops stroking and she comes almost all the way back then returns to him and he strokes her again!!

How hard is it to not stroke a dog when asked! Her recall has actually not been that bad she usually runs over realises shes not getting fussed so comes straight back, but wont even go over if i spot them coming and distract her.
But now she is going to thing every person on the planet wants some kevin(err, ripley) love.

Anyway rant over!

(oh and her recall training is being worked on!!)
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 08:21 AM
TBH if a big soft dog presented itself asking for a fuss...... that`s exactly what I`d do. You might have been a horrible owner or a control freak for all I knew, after all. And I`d be checking them over for signs of ill-treatment as well if you shouted at me to leave the dog alone.
But I would have been quite happy to stand not making eye contact while you trained your recall if asked.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 08:35 AM
hee hee
I am kinda with Claire on this one, if a big soft muck of a dog was presenting itself for a stroke I would find it very difficult not to !!!!

BUt I can see why it would be irritating, but maybe a long line might be a better idea for a while...
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
TBH if a big soft dog presented itself asking for a fuss...... that`s exactly what I`d do. You might have been a horrible owner or a control freak for all I knew, after all. And I`d be checking them over for signs of ill-treatment as well if you shouted at me to leave the dog alone.
But I would have been quite happy to stand not making eye contact while you trained your recall if asked.
I agree, sorry!!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 09:15 AM
When we are in places where ours are off leads, I am busy doing re-call with the pup, rewarding etc., and I often get people walking over with ...awwwwwwwwwwww ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh awwwwwwwwwwww she's lovely....and everything goes out the window
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 09:45 AM
when i say 'shouted' i meant because i was a distance away- i was very polite and didnt show my irritation at all.

I dont mind people stroking her if she goes over, but after asking them to not stroke her while i train recall twice, i expect people to have the courtesy to not stroke her.

Anyway, it was a light hearted rant- i thought that was obvious.
My dog, my lack of recall, my problem not the guy that stroked her..it just didnt help!

This was just one of her naughty days..shes not usually this bad...honest! I dont like to use long line with her as the way the dogs play makes it just too dangerous.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 09:57 AM
I must have missed something (and admit I haven't been on as much as usual) - but you now have three??? Who is the third? Any pics!

I realise it was a lighthearted rant, but I would find a soft dog wanting a fuss hard to resist too Sorry
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Oh, i need to introduce him, he is a JRT rehome- he wasnt planned as such but i saw him and thought 'oh i'll just enquire'...i'll just go and meet him....i'll just bring him home lol!!
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Oh I love meeting a big soft hearted lump of a pup. I wouldn't be able to resist it. Giggling like mad at the disobedience though She clearly thought the nice man stroking her was much more fun than having to do as she's told
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
Oh, i need to introduce him, he is a JRT rehome- he wasnt planned as such but i saw him and thought 'oh i'll just enquire'...i'll just go and meet him....i'll just bring him home lol!!
Aww bless him
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >