Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
I've learned plenty. May not be what you want but so what lol.

Adam
and your thoughts on the first half of my post?!
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Seeing as she was trying to run off and brocing around when he tried before hand she has made good progress!

Yes she is still uncomfortable but the fact that she can be there calmly is great progress.

Yeah he could praise/treat, at this stage it would be meaningless maybe.

Taking her away as a reward is ligit imo, horse trainers do it all the time with fear issues.

Adam
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Then chuck some sheep/rabbits/cats in, what happens then?

Adam

Still got the recall.i train a leave it, & proof the recall within the timescale, easy. & im nothing special, its just the basics, done properally & thoroughly. & i bet its faster/quicker/sharper than any you train!
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2011, 10:40 PM
yes taking her away IS a legit reward, every time she feels that relief of being away from the bins, she thinks... "ah, yep being away from the bins IS better!"
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 10:42 PM
I don't know who actually said 'you can't argue with ignorance'----but boy were they right!

rune
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I don't know who actually said 'you can't argue with ignorance'----but boy were they right!

rune
lol well said
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post

Suggestion for you Adam. Find out where your nearest Deaf Club is and go along to the next get together. They all welcome hearing people going along.

Go in there and see how much you understand of what is going on. Then try playing a game of bingo with them. Something you already know how to do, but see how much more difficult it is to play the game without number calling in the way you know. Once you've done this, you might just have a tiny idea of the difficulty dogs have in understanding what we want from them. Then reflect a while and see if you still think it fair to punish dogs for not understanding our requests for them to do things that they truly find incomprehensible until they are guided and taught 'how to play our game'.
VERY well said, Brierley

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 09:16 AM
...If needed we can run the sessions together and get a reliable recall around high distractions within 3 or 4 hours.
You work a dog continuously for this amount of time?

What about rest for the dog?

Any animal would find it exhausting to be training solidly for that amount of time, if it is learning anew how to avoid/escape....

Perhaps you don't mean you literally train for that amount of time all at once?

What about latent learning? I find it useful to think about this when training a dog, it makes it easier for the dog to get things right.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
Ok guys how about we stop feeding Adam. I'm sorry I got sucked into it. He knows nothing and he, along with his stupid collars, should be banned from this site.
I know what you mean. He pops up so regularly he must spend all his time on here

I think we'd have to all decide what to do.

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 09:23 AM
E collars don't cause pain.

Adam
Not that old chesnut.

Put ya Dogtra on (the one that goes up to over 100 on the dial) and show us via video that it's not painful.

Put it round your own neck and get someone else to shock you on highest level when you are not expecting it.

Or if you have a wife/girlfriend or significant other, have them show us it's fine at highest level when they are not expecting it

Make sure continual stim is used too, until you work out what to do - let's have it real.

Wys
x
Page 24 of 38 « First < 14 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 34 > Last »