View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 09:26 PM

Where are you allowed to let dogs off-lead?

Is it ok to let dogs off lead in farmers fields if there are no animals/crops? There was a sign said "keep dogs under close control" - does this mean on the lead? Are there any laws regarding where you can/can't release dogs?
siberianed
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-12-2009, 10:33 PM
Usually when a sign states "keep dogs under close control" this can mean that dogs are allowed off the lead - but stating the obvious, it must be under close control. For instance, I wouldn't be able to let my two off the lead because I know for sure that they wouldn't be under close control!

I have seen places where the signs specify that "dogs are to be kept on leads at all times".

As for laws covering where you can/can't release dogs - there are, believe it or not, laws in place.

It is an offence under the Control of Dogs Order 1992 for an owner to allow their dog to be in a highway or in a place of public resort not wearing a collar (so in other words, off the lead)

Although this is vague, it comes down to a case of common sense. If a sign says to keep your dogs under close control, then I would hazard a guess that you can let your dog of the lead (if it's controllable).
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2009, 11:27 PM
A little off thread but is it also against the law not to have a name tag on your dog?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by tabsmagic View Post
A little off thread but is it also against the law not to have a name tag on your dog?
It is, but if it's got to the point where we have to employ people to patrol the streets to keep them free from crime because the Police haven't got time, then I doubt they've got the time to check a dogs collar for a tag!
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-12-2009, 12:33 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
It is, but if it's got to the point where we have to employ people to patrol the streets to keep them free from crime because the Police haven't got time, then I doubt they've got the time to check a dogs collar for a tag!
i dunno- they seem to have plenty of time to sit in cars outside remote country locals pulling people over and breathalysing them,.........
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 01:27 AM
not that this is more than likely relevant as I am talking about Australia, but we are not even allowed on private property ie peoples farms, fields etc, we have a few dog designated beaches and parks where they are leash free areas as long as your dog is under control, some beaches have hours that dogs are allowed on it, thats about it.
To be allowed on others property sounds like such a priviledge as no way is it allowed here.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

02-12-2009, 02:05 AM
Originally Posted by wallaroo View Post
Is it ok to let dogs off lead in farmers fields if there are no animals/crops? There was a sign said "keep dogs under close control" - does this mean on the lead? Are there any laws regarding where you can/can't release dogs?
At the risk of sounding dramatic - If you see a sign on a farmers land stating "keep dogs under close control" - I would keep the dogs on the lead.

We have dogs shot up here quite often and there's no point discussing laws or the the rights and wrongs of it after the event.

Arable land is perhaps a bit different but often livestock is moved from field to field so what you think is an empty field can often be a livestock field on another day.

If I'm ever in an area I don't know - it's better to not risk it.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
At the risk of sounding dramatic - If you see a sign on a farmers land stating "keep dogs under close control" - I would keep the dogs on the lead.

We have dogs shot up here quite often and there's no point discussing laws or the the rights and wrongs of it after the event.

Arable land is perhaps a bit different but often livestock is moved from field to field so what you think is an empty field can often be a livestock field on another day.

If I'm ever in an area I don't know - it's better to not risk it.
Good post!! Better safe than sorry
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 08:22 AM
There are woods a little way from me, where I was walking last year (had an incident in there, so haven't been back for a while..) and the signs clearly said 'Dogs On Lead At All Times' fine I thought, as my two were on long leads, so we went in and then we were pounced on by offlead dogs So although I wouldn't risk my dogs when the signs clearly state the obvious, some people do.... If it is farmland and says 'under close control' I would keep onlead, especially in some places, as I would rather my dog be safe, than me being very sorry!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 09:20 AM
Hi,

Dogs wearing collars and being on lead are 2 seaprate things. If you use a slip lead at any time it makes no difference whether the dog is wearing a collar or not. But yes - if a dog is out in public it must have an ID tag with the owner's contact details.

Additionally, as already stated, dogs are not allowed out onthe public highway without being on lead. It's for the best I think if you're road walking but if I saw a sign like that, I woudl only allow Zane and Yiannis off lead. Teh other 2 are hopeless at recall compared to the 2 boys sand unless you know your dogs have 100% recall, it's better not to risk having them hurt or lost.

If you have woods, a park etc it may be better to walk you dogs there than entering into a farmer's field, unless you have permision to do so.

Laura xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >