View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 11:07 AM
i think behaviour of the dogs can make a difference too. For example, if I still have Moon then I'd probably have a 2nd dog by now as he was such an easy dog. However with Cain, I couldn't even contemplate managing him and a second dog right now I hope to get a second dog once Cain settles down a bit, maybe in a couple of years, but if he doesn't settle then I won't get a second dog because I don't think I could cope.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 11:08 AM
I have three atm, Im waiting for the right time to add the fourth. (trying to decide whether I should have another baby first, or have a pup first?)
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Your replys are so interesting! Thank-you.
We arent considering another dog yet, but in the future we surely will!

For me money isnt really an issue, luckily [OH has a VERY good job].

Time isnt a big problem because I work from home managing the email end of OHs business..so I can have as much time as I want with them

Space at the moment is limited, although I know alot of people have more dogs as us in a smaller house, we have a 3 bed terrace, but its nt overly big!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 11:14 AM
**awaits tupac **
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Has to be expense for us, we used to have 3 and would love to still have 3 but have scaled back to 2 - in the future it will be just 1 as food and vet bills increase and our earning ability shrinks.
Space isn't so much of a problem even though we are in a small flat as they tend to fit in even when we looked after a friends 4 we seemed to be able to make room for them all.
Time again not a problem as I work nights and husband works days so we have some one here all the time.
We don't have a garden so that doesn't enter the decision making process.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Time is a big factor, money is also an issue when it comes to things like insurance.
I also look at how well I can physically manage the dogs I currently have and whether they have any training issues which could be a problem by adding another dog. In other words, would I be biting off more than I could chew? No point in taking on another dog if you cant control the one(s) you already have cos it will only make things worse.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Time, space and practicality, mainly. We don't have a big house or garden. Perfectly fine for a couple of dogs though. I also work FT and find two is enough for me.

Of course, I'd love loads of dogs, but that would just be irresponsible and impractical, so it's not going to happen.

Oh, also my current dogs - it's what is best for them as well, don't forget, not just myself.

Molly was already here when got Roxy and both get on extremely well. Roxy would NOT be happy if I were to bring in another dog, especially a puppy, she would be most unimpressed! I want a Basenji puppy, but it won't happen until after Roxy. Plus Molly can only tolerate so much of tiny puppies! So, it wouldn't be fair on my dogs or the new puppy.

Plus Molly and Roxy get on extremely well - they really are best friends - and I don't want anything to risk that at all. I'm not one for getting a dog/s and giving it/them away if things didn't work out or I wasn't 100% sure it was the right thing to do. If I get a dog, it's with me for life and that's it. I have two fantastic back up homes SHOULD (touch wood!) anything happen to me which would happily accomodate my two dogs. They may well not take on three or more dogs!

They are under no circumstances to get put in to rescue or be passed about from pillar to post.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3