Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 08:51 PM

How many is too many?

When it comes to dogs as pets?
What are factors you consider when deciding wether or not to have another dog?
House size? Garden size? Financial stability? Would you cut back yourself to accomodate another dog if you wanted one?

What decides it for you?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 08:59 PM
time

Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Time, financial stability, space, this is why we are stopping at two, and not four which we would have with a different lifestyle and enough money and a bit more space.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Time first and foremost, then space, then money.

I think two dogs are a lot more manageable than 3+ dogs.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 09:33 PM
2-3 was a big jump, 3-4 was fairly painless!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Yes i found the same...going from 2-3 was a major shock to the system, suddenly you dont have enough hands. 3-4 was a doddle.
I have a limit of 5, i dont think space is that much of a contributing factor, so long as the dogs get the exercise they require, a big garden or house isnt necessary (all mine lay more or less on top of each other anyway!!)

Obviously expense and time are the main things, can you afford insurance for another dog and the cost of food/worming etc.

So if you have the time and money then i dont think there is such a thing as 'too many' (though dont tell the bf i said that! )
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 09:48 PM
I think it depends on the time you have and what your expectations are of the dogs needs and how you can fulfill them.

When I had several dogs doing agility it was fine, all had individual attention and training. I worked full time and they were walked before and after work and all holidays were with them (I taught).

Now it is different, the dogs I have are diverse and have different needs and it is harder---or maybe I have changed in what I think they are due and I want to give them more. Older dogs are harder in a way.

I have a small dilemma at the moment regarding a dog that will be needing a home soon. He will be here for a while and then hopefully I will find him a better place to be. Keeping him would not be fair on my dogs or on him----but many people would think that he would get a great life staying here---I just think he deserves something different.

It is very hard.

At the moment it is also VERY expensive in vets bills as four are on medication.
rune
2Greys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-06-2011, 11:42 PM
I've 2 currently and in future may expand the pack with more greyhounds, my friend has 4 and finds them easy compared with the 4 terriers she also owns.

Our house & garden while average sized 2 bed could easily fit more dogs and i think i'd have the time as greys aren't that demanding, for me finances are most important its not just dog food & vet care, going past 2 would probably require us to change car and require us to use kennels/petsitter more frequently as most hotels only take 2 dogs and can't really expect to visit people as we do now with more big dogs in tow. I don't mind making sacrifices to my own spending for something i want, but i'd prefer not to alter my current choices on decent dog food & other purchases for my current dogs to be able to afford another dog.

At the moment i like the freedom that having just 2 dogs allows so probably wouldn't look to expand until we settle down more.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 12:22 AM
For me, it would be a mixture of money, financial stability and time. I was really hoping to get my 2nd dog this year but due to an unforeseen operation, I now don't have the time or money for a 2nd dog. I think it'd be unfair to bring a dog into a situation where you weren't necessarily financially secure enough to care for it (At least not in the immediate future, no one knows what will happen in the long term) and couldn't provide it with the one to one time it needs.

Whenever I get the urge to start looking for a 2nd dog, I always think 'What if the 2nd dog became DA or had training issues?' or 'What if they both needed operations at the same time?' and if I can't answer those questions satisfactorily then I know in my heart of hearts that it isn't the right time for a 2nd dog.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 01:25 AM
4 small, 3 big - what ive ever had at (permanent) any one time.

After losing Rosie last year - have not considered another so for now & probably foreseeable future / 2 dogs

We also have 2 cats now. I may get another cat.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >