View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2009, 10:55 PM
this will be jakes first bonfire night, so im not sure how he will react. im planning on just acting completely normal around him, and not fuss over him if he freaks. i dont know what to expect with him... i dont think he will be bothered by them coz not much does but i might be wrong...
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

14-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Completely OT but on the sonic boom thing...

On a large aircraft like the shuttle, a boom is produced by the nose of the aircraft causing a very sudden area of high pressure and then the tail of the aircraft suddenly releasing the pressure again. On a smaller aircraft like a military fast jet, the booms would overlap as they're that much closer due to the shorter length of the fuselage.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2009, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by rich c View Post

On a large aircraft like the shuttle, a boom is produced by the nose of the aircraft causing a very sudden area of high pressure and then the tail of the aircraft suddenly releasing the pressure again. On a smaller aircraft like a military fast jet, the booms would overlap as they're that much closer due to the shorter length of the fuselage.
OT again but thank you very much for the explanation! My late dad was an avionics engineer [Westlands] but there were a few things even he couldn't explain so well
hazel pritchard
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-10-2009, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
How about trying the Dorwest plus Zylkene? I've no experience of Zylkene but it is said to calm dogs - maybe someone on here has tried it?

PS: You are lucky it's only 2-3 weeks - it can go on for over a month here
Hi have been trying Zylkene and so far its not helped dog at all,i am going to try it over a longer period and hope that helps him
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2009, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by hazel pritchard View Post
Hi have been trying Zylkene and so far its not helped dog at all,i am going to try it over a longer period and hope that helps him
Please do report back especially if you have tried that + the Dorwest
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

16-10-2009, 10:37 AM
As a spur of the moment experiment that I wouldn't necessarily recommend anyone repeat unless they were fairly confident of not getting bitten etc. I did the following:

On our walk this morning, while Jake was deeply engrossed in some smell or other, I walked quietly up behind him and clapped my hands as hard as I could. I certainly got his attention for all of 5 seconds before he went back to sniffing. I might well repeat that on regular occasions to further desensitise him to loud sudden noises.

As I said to start, don't be doing this to the extent I did if your dog is likely to react badly. I was really close to him and it was a pretty loud clap! Maybe start off further away with softer claps! YMMV.
John Bull
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-10-2009, 11:56 AM

Hi Rich,
Nothing to do with sonic booms. There is no sonic boom when the Shuttle blasts off, THAT occurs well up and far away over the sea. In fact the take off is quite slow.

Sorry chum, but your aerodynamic explanation is not relevent.

My comment was in fact a JOKE, an anomoly and simply referred to the gargantuan roar of the main rocket engines at blast off.

Not really the right place to discuss the intricacies of Mach One.

John Bull
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

16-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by John Bull View Post
There is no sonic boom when the Shuttle blasts off, THAT occurs well up and far away over the sea.

MerlinsMum and me were having an OT chat about the landing phase. The shuttle's often compared to a gliding brick. i.e. it comes in FAST and STEEP!

Anyway, for those interested:
http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/...f/sts_mes.html
John Bull
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-10-2009, 01:20 PM
MerlinsMum and me were having an OT chat about the landing phase. The shuttle's often compared to a gliding brick. i.e. it comes in FAST and STEEP!

Anyway, for those interested:
http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/...f/sts_mes.html
Rich,
I don`t want this thread to become a discussion on the Space Shuttle - it is a DOGS Forum.

A 5 year old knows about the "gliding brick" when coming into land AND the sonic boom - please I made a JOKE regarding fireworks, give it a rest. I know just as much about the Shuttle and aerodynamics as most people since I worked on guided weapons for 6 years.

AND I was taliking about blast off NOT th[s lump of inert hardware coming back to Earth.

John Bull
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

16-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Anyone care to comment on my on-topic post at #36? Please ignore the random noise in between.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >