Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Who.....???
a while ago in a bash people who rescue thread someone had a go at me because my dogs were pretty
Interesting insult
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
a while ago in a bash people who rescue thread someone had a go at me because my dogs were pretty
Interesting insult

Weridos ..lol
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
So I should get a mongrel/rottie/dobe etc because they are in rescue & only buy my "preferred breeds ??

What a load of tosh. BCs are one of three breeds that "suit me"I've 40 years experience of BCs so would be better placed than a first time owner to rehome a BC especially if it is deaf or needing training etc because i have some"inside"knowledge of the breed-the same would apply to GSDs, one dog that I helped rehome recently would have been welcome here if she had liked cats & small dogs-sadly she doesn't, but now has a super experienced home. My last GSD was a rescue BTW
No---you do what you like----I will do what I like and guess what? Many Tears will do what they like----and long may they go on doing it.

rune
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-09-2011, 10:24 PM
After my experience with them ,if i rescue again many tears will be my first choice...
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Of course their policies aren't foolproof... I think it would be naive for anyone to think that. But they can still do the best they can, at the time the dog is being rehomed. If that's the way you want to look at it, then the same can be said for anyone who gives someone an animal...

You believe what you want, but I think that is an awful comment to make, given that these are people who do their very best to save the lives of many dogs, many of them dedicate their lives to doing it... I don't for one minute think they are 'just' being prejudice. I think it is ALL for the sake of the dogs, and not just the dogs they are rehoming but to the wider population of dogs. If you think it is prejudice then that is your opinion, but I don't think it is fair to say that they don't have those prejudices for the benefit of the dogs.

I have said before that I think some rescues have the neuter policy in an attempt to get people to neuter their existing animals, and that it is (in their opinion) the best thing for all involved.

Where did I say forums are not for discussion??? Must have missed me typing that bit.

You don't want or expect anything from them... hrm, so how do you suppose they would decide if you are responsible?... I guess you don't since you don't want anything from them.

I'm sure they have had many people expressing their opinions on the neuter policy but they are a successful rescue, so I am sure they are happy with the things they are doing, and the policies they have in place. If they didn't, I am sure they would change them.

So, you want them to take the time to do a home check AND spend some quality time with the potential owner to see how responsible they are I don't think spending that amount of time would give a rescue an idea of how responsible someone is...

You might see it as small mindedness, but I am sure they, and many others, do not.
By having such strict blanket policies they aren't doing "their best" though, that's my point. They're doing a great job, obviously, but by being less discriminatory they could help so many more dogs. Just because they do a good job doesn't mean they shouldn't try to do better.

Getting to know someone doesn't take forever, the vast majority of time instinct will tell you if someone is genuine, along with vet checks etc. I wouldn't add up to a great amount of time, but putting in the effort could benefit the dogs ten fold. After all how much does a home check really tell you, there's so much more to owning a dog than what house they live in.

Oh and it's not their neuter policy I have issues with, more their discrminatory attitude towards those of us who don't wish to lop off our dogs reproductive organs just to prove we're responsible.

Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I will be honest and say I am shocked to hear that... I easily rehomed a dog with young children in the house, and I know of single people who rehomed from the same, and other rescues... I wouldn't have thought it would have been a 'blanket policy' for many rescues.

The neuter one does seem to be more common.
Regardless, it's a true story.

Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
What may seem ridiculous, could have very valid reasons behind them, for example:
I'm not going to go into the whole of your post because the main issue I have is their prejudiced attitude which prevents dog owners who don't neuter their current animals from rehoming one of their animals. The examples I gave were just in response to rune's post and although I do think they are ridiculous, I can understand the reason behind them. Basing rehoming policies on their own personal prejudice it wrong however. Plain and simple.
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
I really don't see why many tears cant adapt their rehoming policy...if they KNOW the dog they are rehoming is neutered, why should it matter if potential homes have entire dogs in the house? It shouldn't. I can understand with the rehoming of puppies that are too young to neuter but then again they wont even rehome males to households that are all male.
EXACTLY! It's simply about prejudice on their part, nothing to do with the welfare of the dog being rehomed.

Originally Posted by rune View Post
I would be very surprised if you had---for the majority of people the problems become obvious once they have seen them at first hand----however I suppose there are always exceptions.

rune
And I'm not surprised that your prejudiced has lead you to be incorrect.

Of all my dogs through life that have been rescues only one came from a rescue organisation! Not counting a couple of oldies and a few fosters.

All the rest have come through various other channels. It isn't rocket science to find a dog needing a home! Of course it gets more difficult if you want a particular kind of dog. It also gets more difficult if you have a child because the onus is on YOU to decide if that dog will be good with your child and it is YOU that are landed with the dog if it goes wrong. If you go through a rescue you can hand the dog back and wash your hands of it.

That is the only reson I can think of for not rehoming privately and rescueing a dog that way..

rune
If rescues turn people away time and time again it's inevitable people will become down hearted and find better ways to get a dog, more fool the rescues that's all I can say. Like I've said numerous times, it's the dogs sat in the pounds waiting to be PTS that will miss out.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Interesting insult
I think the point there was (if I'm thinking of the same thread) you were bashing show people for breeding dogs who were clone like, yet you have rescued two dogs in essence because they look the same.

Now that is pretty ironic you have to admit!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
By having such strict blanket policies they aren't doing "their best" though, that's my point. They're doing a great job, obviously, but by being less discriminatory they could help so many more dogs. Just because they do a good job doesn't mean they shouldn't try to do better.

Getting to know someone doesn't take forever, the vast majority of time instinct will tell you if someone is genuine, along with vet checks etc. I wouldn't add up to a great amount of time, but putting in the effort could benefit the dogs ten fold. After all how much does a home check really tell you, there's so much more to owning a dog than what house they live in.

Oh and it's not their neuter policy I have issues with, more their discrminatory attitude towards those of us who don't wish to lop off our dogs reproductive organs just to prove we're responsible.

Regardless, it's a true story.

I'm not going to go into the whole of your post because the main issue I have is their prejudiced attitude which prevents dog owners who don't neuter their current animals from rehoming one of their animals. The examples I gave were just in response to rune's post and although I do think they are ridiculous, I can understand the reason behind them. Basing rehoming policies on their own personal prejudice it wrong however. Plain and simple.

EXACTLY! It's simply about prejudice on their part, nothing to do with the welfare of the dog being rehomed.

And I'm not surprised that your prejudiced has lead you to be incorrect.

If rescues turn people away time and time again it's inevitable people will become down hearted and find better ways to get a dog, more fool the rescues that's all I can say. Like I've said numerous times, it's the dogs sat in the pounds waiting to be PTS that will miss out.
LOL---you sound like the harsh trainers who say that unless their methods are used hundreds of dogs will be pts----just as daft!

rune
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2011, 09:10 PM
LOL---you sound like the harsh trainers who say that unless their methods are used hundreds of dogs will be pts----just as daft!

rune

The less restrictive they are with rehoming policies the more dogs will be rehomed and the less there will be waiting for homes and at risk of being PTS. Quite simple really.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2011, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I think the point there was (if I'm thinking of the same thread) you were bashing show people for breeding dogs who were clone like, yet you have rescued two dogs in essence because they look the same.

Now that is pretty ironic you have to admit!
actually no it had nothing to do with that
it was saying that by taking the 'pretty' dogs that are more rehomable then an ugly dog would be pts
You just stalking threads to see if there might be a chance that I might bash show people?
fyi it was someone else who pointed out that Mia looked a little like Ben when her foto came up as the dog in the pound, I simply didnt see any similarity till it was pointed out
I didnt see her as pretty or anything, I only saw her expressive scared eyes and for some reason out of the many I had (and continue to) see she was the one I couldnt get out of my head

although you seem to have deliberatly set this up to attempt to get me to comment on show dogs this thread has nothing to do with that so I am sorry but your troll fun for the evening wll just have to go unsatisfied
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2011, 09:44 PM
actually no it had nothing to do with that
it was saying that by taking the 'pretty' dogs that are more rehomable then an ugly dog would be pts
You just stalking threads to see if there might be a chance that I might bash show people?
fyi it was someone else who pointed out that Mia looked a little like Ben when her foto came up as the dog in the pound, I simply didnt see any similarity till it was pointed out
I didnt see her as pretty or anything, I only saw her expressive scared eyes and for some reason out of the many I had (and continue to) see she was the one I couldnt get out of my head

although you seem to have deliberatly set this up to attempt to get me to comment on show dogs this thread has nothing to do with that so I am sorry but your troll fun for the evening wll just have to go unsatisfied
Sorry but those comments are borderline paranoia! Every time someone mentions showing on a thread you're commenting on you immediately assume they're having a go at you! I genuinely couldn't give two hoots what you think about showing! I just thought I could remember the thread, it's that simple.

Blimey, I think you just need to chill out a bit luv!
Page 9 of 10 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 >