Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 11:10 AM

I Hate my MIL....

Had a upsetting evening yesterday, and to be honest probably not in favour at the moment but I don't give a F***.
I haven't been to Pat's mom's for a long time now, because (told this story before) she has a SBTxTerrier which I felt she should not have, due to her age (72) and the fact that he is definately the wrong dog for her.
Well yesterday I relented.....and was horrified, to find that now he is completed confined to outside, chained to a kennel, albeit a long chain...but worse he is so agressive towards people.

I was advise not to touch, but after sitting on the back doorstep for a great length of time, I managed to ''talk'' him round enough to get him near me and finally let me stroke him.
He has issues about having the chain being touched, his collar touched etc., finally allowing me to unchain him (that took some time) as each time I went to do it he turned on me, but I persuaded him in the end that my arm wasn't a biting stick
I had a major problem when I tried putting a lead on....obviously being on a chain has done nothing to help in that department, but with some treats etc., I finally got there, and took him for a walk over Small Heath park....my he was so thrilled out being out he went wild....all this mind took 3 1/2 hours just to get him out..
Brought him back 1 hours later and REFUSED to re-chain him up.....so me a MIL have had serious words.
Now I hear what she is saying too old to walk him etc etc., but she really needs to LISTEN to me......she shouldn't have a dog full stop then. I told her that all this ''he's afraid of woman'' is a load of codswobble, as he wasn't before she got him, now he has turn aggressive and i can forsee disaster because one day he will turn on her and do her alot of harm, what with her age and such......
How long can you argue with a stupid woman who will not listen to a word your saying, does not feeding the dog in a dish to throwing food to him...show you something. or am I going mad.
My SIL has reported her to the RSPCA and because he is so well fed and housed they are powerless to do anything, but they have advised her about his aggression towards HER and the dangers...........NERNERNERNER not listening.......

So thats my rant over, I will go and walk him, but unfortunately it can not be every day, but at least I can relieve some of his bordom...........

How many years do you get for murdering a old lady.....
I have spoken to the family this morning and whilst I try to get him back to how he used to be.....they are all going to try and get her to allow us to try and rehome him.....if I can not turn him around well......... no pressure there then
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 11:16 AM
So sorry to hear this, poor dog and how upsetting for you. Also a difficult situation between you and Pat I imagine? Don't know what to suggest, walking him will bring him so much joy but how do you take him back there after you've finished?

Why are the RSPCA doing nothing - they have campaigned for so long for the animal welfare act and now it is in force they are doing nothing - not exactly allowing the dog to express normal behaviour is she - so why isn't she being charged?
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 11:16 AM
What a horrible situation but well done you for tackling it. I would have to ask if she would even notice the difference of not having him, if he is chained outside all the time and she never walks him or plays with him. It is no life for a dog and hopefully she will see sense and let you rehome the wee guy before he becomes a serious problem.
Good luck x
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 11:17 AM
I would hate to be in your shoes, shes being cruel end of, but I dont see what you can do to make her give the dog up, except poss play to the fact the dog is of no use to her, its not a companion, its not in the house to act as a deterent, its only costing her money to feed,
MartinL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-05-2009, 11:20 AM
steal him? i would..
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I would hate to be in your shoes, shes being cruel end of, but I dont see what you can do to make her give the dog up, except poss play to the fact the dog is of no use to her, its not a companion, its not in the house to act as a deterent, its only costing her money to feed,
I agree , what is the point of having a dog and treating it like this, dogs don't have very long lives its such a shame this one is having his life wasted like this. Is there no-one in the family or outside she would listen to, does she go to church or anything it might seem underhand but who cares if there was someone who could talk sense into her, I would make use of them.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Oh dear. What a horrid position to be in. Shame the chain couldn't be put on incorrectly and the back gate left open really....

Seriously though,w ell done you for trying to help this dog and it's boredom. Poor thing.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 11:37 AM
See i have been over and over this in my head....

I) steal him...thats good to a point, but then what do I do with him.
These are serious agression behaviours now, so no-one will want him until he is rehab'd, I can not bring him here, unless 1) I removed my dogs out of the place and 2) give up fostering.

2) I can now get near to him, with loads of persuation and when I said he went for me I mean he went for me, it was only my sitting still and not reacting, that detered him, as i feel personally with the experience i have, if a reaction took place he'd be hanging off my arm....felt the teeth scrap on me

3) My relieving his bordom will only last for a while, soon he will be fed up on the days I can not go there to take him out, that has a chance of making him worse.....or maybe he sill settle for 3 days out.

4) Persuading a stupid woman that the ''old ways'' are not the idea's of today ie rubbing dogs nose in poo, hitting with newpaper, screaming and shouting at him, ...and worse throwing food out to him instead of serving it in a dish because your frightened of said dog.

5) She is a VERY CRUEL WOMAN keeping him chained up, there is ample garden for him to roam in

6) RSPCA acknowledge that his aggression is ''not good'' towards her in particular, but he is chunky, well fed, has a good coat, has a warm well weather proof kennel etc., so realistically they can only advise about his aggression...

7) Telling VERY CRUEL WOMAN, that she should allow him to be turned around (whilst there is a chance) and rehomed, but if this carries on he will have to be PTS.......and I for one feel very emotional about that prospect at the moment.

He's neutered, and is about 6 years old, she had him neutered last year when she first took him on, but that in her eyes, should make him calm and soft....I'm saying...you constantly chaining him up with no interaction to mental stimulate him, is driving him to dispair, she's saying ''well he'll learn'' that he has to stay out there.

By the way Pat agrees with me.........he's trying hard to make her see what I am saying
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Poor dog, you do wonder why she keeps him. What possible satisfaction can she get from still having him around?
I think I would do what I could for him while keeping up the pressure for her to let him go to another home.
Good luck with that one though.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by Mum To Many View Post
I agree , what is the point of having a dog and treating it like this, dogs don't have very long lives its such a shame this one is having his life wasted like this. Is there no-one in the family or outside she would listen to, does she go to church or anything it might seem underhand but who cares if there was someone who could talk sense into her, I would make use of them.
You wonderful person you....yes she is a very ''church'' goer....I amy have a word with the priest...Thank you hun
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »