Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-09-2008, 11:35 AM

Boys being left behind

I've just been looking on a well known puppy advertising website and am both saddened but at the same time worried by the amount of ads where the bitches have already been sold/spoken for and the dogs are still available. Some of the dog pups are as old as 6 months and still not found new homes.

This saddens me because I think every pup deserves a good, loving home from 8 - 10 weeks of age so they are young enough to settle in their new home. But on the other hand it worries me that so many bitches are being snapped up.

I know that my preference was a bitch, this was because as a child/teenager all our dogs were bitches and I was used to them. But I have to say that I worry that some bitches are being snapped but by people that want to breed from them to make a fast buck I do so hope that I'm wrong and that the bitches are being snapped up for similar reasons to mine for favouring bitches.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Sadly I think many are sold purely because they can be bred from. its a owrry.

Mo
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2008, 11:54 AM
I would have boys every time
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2008, 11:58 AM
I have noticed this as well, it is always the bitches that go first, I also notice that some breeders ask more for the bitches, I wonder are they catching on to it so are making more money this way.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2008, 12:15 PM
I know it was Bitches left in Kismet's litter and Selkie my other bitch was also a left behind puppy, she failed the sled pulling test and was left behind to be sold as a pet. Pharaoh's litter was a good mix of both and no more for bitches, so this is something I have only come across recently....

It seems to be more prolific among the border line KC registers. People who have KC dogs, but do not show them, breed them occasionally and register the puppies. None of my dogs have ever been KC registered (except Jackjack). I suppose this is the BYB thing...

Excuse the questions, I genuinely don't know much about the KC and showing. Is there any point KC registering a purely pet dog litter? Do you have to register the whole litter? Could you register later in life when you are going to show, or must everything be registered from puppies. There seem to be an awful lot of 'championship lines' and 'KC registered' puppies in my local paper every week. More than there could possibly be on the showing circuit.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2008, 01:37 PM
I have always had bitches and since I like them so much I saw no reason to change when I bought my latest pup .
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Slightly off the subject, but does anyone keep boys and girls? Poppy has been spayed and I have seen a boy Cavalier I've fallen in love with but mum's worried about him trying to "hump" Poppy.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Well, we have had girls and boys and i have to admit i prefer the boys!!

Originally Posted by Harry25 View Post
Slightly off the subject, but does anyone keep boys and girls? Poppy has been spayed and I have seen a boy Cavalier I've fallen in love with but mum's worried about him trying to "hump" Poppy.
We had a boy and girl at the same time, the only time D wanted to hump Ruby was when she was in season, other than that, they had a great bond
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2008, 04:08 PM
I've always had males as thats what was in my family when i was growing up. Sasha is my first bitch - i did originally want a male leo but the breeder recommended a bitch to start with. I wasn't quite sure but when i met her, WOW, she was coming home.

To be fair, any dog i have now will be a male though as Sasha has pride of place in the house
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2008, 04:16 PM
I`ve had varied mixes of males and females over the years and they`ve all got on. I neuter mine so there`s no problem with breeding. Sadly the silly prices paid now for pedigree pups or designer crosses does tempt people to make money out of their dogs. I`ll be interested to see if this changes after the rect TV documentary.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >