Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 08:50 AM

Favourite horse books?

Following on from fave dog books what are your fave horse books?

I love the Silver bridal by Carolinr Akrill (cant remember the correct spelling) and must have read it loads of times also flying changes by the same author. Black Beauty of course, the horse Whisperer (NOT the film though they just butchered it) and i enjoyed the first few Jinny books by Patricia Leitch but never read all of them for some reason. Oh And i have a lovely old book called Doodlebug with wonderful drawings.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
Following on from fave dog books what are your fave horse books?

I love the Silver bridal by Carolinr Akrill (cant remember the correct spelling) and must have read it loads of times also flying changes by the same author. Black Beauty of course, the horse Whisperer (NOT the film though they just butchered it) and i enjoyed the first few Jinny books by Patricia Leitch but never read all of them for some reason. Oh And i have a lovely old book called Doodlebug with wonderful drawings.
I know what you mean about the Horse Whisperer. I nearly cried when I watched the film as they'd altered so much. When I was a kid, I had a really old book called Little Black, the pony. I have no idea who the author was but I LOVED that book!
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 09:22 AM
I found a book called Little Black, a pony by Walter Farley This is the cover:

Is that the one?

Dont get me started on the The horse Whisperer its a huge pet hate of mine. I was so looking forward to seeing the film and it was a load of tosh. Doomed from the start really as robert redford was much too old for the part . .
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 09:27 AM
I found a book called Little Black, a pony by Walter Farley This is the cover:

Is that the one?

Dont get me started on the The horse Whisperer its a huge pet hate of mine. I was so looking forward to seeing the film and it was a load of tosh. Doomed from the start really as robert redford was much too old for the part . .
Oh wow! That could be it. I dont recognise the cover but they often change them. Would love to flick through it to see if its the same story. Thank you!
I loved the book of Horse Whisperer and dragged my friend to the cinema to see it the day it was was released. It was so not what I wanted. They changed to much. It could have been a brilliant film. I felt really let down. How sad is that!
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 09:30 AM
LOL i share your pain! I was looking forward to seeing the grit and struggle of the family, the dramatic end but all we got was some pretty scenary and a horse . . . Total let down! Have you read 'the loop' by him?
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 09:33 AM
LOL i share your pain! I was looking forward to seeing the grit and struggle of the family, the dramatic end but all we got was some pretty scenary and a horse . . . Total let down! Have you read 'the loop' by him?
I couldnt believe the end. I was like ''no Mr Redford, you're supposed to die!!'' I did read The Loop. So sad though. Made me cry. Glad they didnt make it into a film. I wouldnt have been able to watch that!
Just googled that book and it is the same one, all about how Little Black gets pushed aside when his owner starts riding Big Red. Oh I've gone all mushy now!
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 09:37 AM
LOL, i was screaming at the screen (we rented it i missed it at the cinema) 'no you die and you misses get knocked up!'

I love re-reading books i read as a child, makes me get all chocked up
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 09:59 AM
LOL, i was screaming at the screen (we rented it i missed it at the cinema) 'no you die and you misses get knocked up!'

I love re-reading books i read as a child, makes me get all chocked up

Lol. When he was stood at the top of the cliff as they drove away, I wanted to knock him off!!
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2010, 11:02 AM
When i was younger i loved the books about a chestnut arab and the young girl who owned her (called Ginny I think), but cant remember what the books were called. Im pretty sure there were 3 or 4 of them though.

Black Beauty is a classic of course.

Mostly I used to read my mums horse annuals from the 1960's that had some really sweet short stories in them. I still have them
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2010, 11:11 AM
The Jinny ones are the ones with an Arab in, the first was 'for love of a horse'. I quite liked those too
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >