View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-02-2010, 09:48 AM

Is there a safe natural anti-inflammatory?

As the title says, I'm looking for a natural anti-inflammatory that is safe for my dog. Can anyone help please?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by bint View Post
As the title says, I'm looking for a natural anti-inflammatory that is safe for my dog. Can anyone help please?
Green lipped mussel extract.

Particularly effective for arthritis-related pain/inflamation. Seems to be really helping my bitch who has arthritic knees.

Devil's Claw
not used this myself, but have heard good results from others.
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks for that Hali, will give it a try
I wonder how long it takes to start helping? If it's like Glucosamine that can takes weeks to show any effect.
I've got a dog with some inflammation left around a wound site, vet has prescribed Rimadyl but not too happy about giving it.
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Meant to say there's no infection, just a bit of tenderness
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Ollie gets stiff and his breeder recommended forever freedom aloe vera gel. It has natural msm in it which is an anti inflammatory. It is good for humans too.

If you google forever freedom aloe vera gel there are suppliers and some write up it does take about 6 weeks to take effect though.

Ollie was started on 30 ml a day then down to 20 ml he is a large breed he is back on 30 ml due to the cold damp weather.
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks Lynn I will certainly look into that too
My OH takes MSM in tablet form for a dogdy knee, will tell him it's in that gel as well
Dog has had 2 doses of Rimadyl so far and I don't think it suits him, though it is helping with his discomfort.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by bint View Post
Thanks for that Hali, will give it a try
I wonder how long it takes to start helping? If it's like Glucosamine that can takes weeks to show any effect.
I've got a dog with some inflammation left around a wound site, vet has prescribed Rimadyl but not too happy about giving it.
I know that green lipped mussel is recommended more for long term use, so as you say, for your dog's particular problem, it may not be appropriate.

I'm not sure about devils' claw - that may have a more immdiate affect?

Personally I prefer metacam to rimadyl though I believe some dogs do do better on one rather than the other.

Hope you can find something to help.
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks Hali.
He's actually walking better this afternoon, not lifting his leg up much so fingers crossed things are settling down. Still going to look into the supplements/gels might help speed things up. He's on very restricted exercise at the moment as well.

More of a worry is a swelling under his eye which came up a short while ago. Vet said it could be a reaction to the drugs (so Rimadyl has been discontinued anyway) and to give him 8mg of Piriton which he's had. No improvement or any worsening & he needs to go for an injection. I'm watching him like a hawk in case it spreads!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 04:06 PM
arnica. You get it from the homeopathy section in Boots. Use 6c for acute pain and 30c for chronic. Other than that I can't recommend acupuncture highly enough. The combination of the two really improved Loki's lameness to the point that we could go for normal walks again.
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Thank you Loki's mum
Update:
I'm going to hold off on anything for a few days. Just had him back at the vets, he's had a steroid injection and has got prednisolone for next 2 days after his face started to swell! We don't know if it was reaction to Rimadyl but most likely to the penicillin he's just finished.
Poor dog, only started with a cut on his leg!