Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
VV that is exactly what happened to me. I had to do the pregnancy test prior to starting the drug.It cam back negative but something made me do another a week later it was positive.......
I went home and did 2 more tests myself, it was only at the first scan it really sunk in that it had really happened. If they hadnt done the pregnancy test and had gone ahead with the op I would have lost her.

Would be lovely to have a baby Pidge join us
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 06:54 PM
27... and still only have the one so does that still make me 27
carleyaves
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-08-2009, 08:14 PM
ok, so i had Jesse when i was 30. never ever wanted kids, met hubby and said to him don't spend every day trying to talk me into having kids, i didn't want them. however it hit me that i wasn't going to get any younger and i may not be able to get pregnant and then what if i really really wanted a child, what then? i didn't want a future that meant my whole life would be focused completely on getting pregnant and the ups and downs of fertility treatment if i left it too late.... and the heartache.
decision was made. when i did the test i was devastated because it all became real. to this day i still cannot believe i was pregnant and had a baby, it makes me laugh as my son, Jesse is nearly five now. and he is a little superstar.

i don't think the time is ever right and you always find a way to cope financially. i think the "decision" to have a baby is harder than the actual outcome. once pregnant you just plan for the future....
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I think Neil and I have got some talking to do, but wouldn't it be lovely if it happened during our first wedding anniversary week away in the lakes
It is amazing how many women seem to get preggers while on holiday (me included!)
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by carleyaves View Post
ok, so i had Jesse when i was 30. never ever wanted kids, met hubby and said to him don't spend every day trying to talk me into having kids, i didn't want them. however it hit me that i wasn't going to get any younger and i may not be able to get pregnant and then what if i really really wanted a child, what then? i didn't want a future that meant my whole life would be focused completely on getting pregnant and the ups and downs of fertility treatment if i left it too late.... and the heartache.
decision was made. when i did the test i was devastated because it all became real. to this day i still cannot believe i was pregnant and had a baby, it makes me laugh as my son, Jesse is nearly five now. and he is a little superstar.

i don't think the time is ever right and you always find a way to cope financially. i think the "decision" to have a baby is harder than the actual outcome. once pregnant you just plan for the future....
Once again we have the same taste. I love the name Jesse for a boy!! Neil wont let me have it though so we're going with Hugo (Harriet for a girl, but she'll be known as Harrie), unless you have any other suggestions? ;op

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
It is amazing how many women seem to get preggers while on holiday (me included!)
I'm not sure if I come off the pill now I'll be ready to conceive in 4 weeks though!! ;o) Lovely as it would be. In which case I better stay on until after the holiday because I will be one kick **** hormonal bitch for the first few months of coming off, he wont want to go anywhere near me ;o)))))
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Please remember that it is not the end of the world not to have kids.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 09:57 PM
hiya
I had luca at 29 after having 3 miscarriages one after the other.

He was planned whereas the first pregnancy hadnt been, so I actually didnt know I was pregnant until I lost the baby horribly. It then became very very much what i wanted and on the 3rd attempt baby finally stayed and we have the lovely Luca.

You are never ready emotionally and financially when you think about it- you just have to do it and then cope.

we are hoping to have another soon
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
It makes me very cross, and upset TBH.

If I stop work to have a baby, I would only be able to stay off for 18 weeks (amount of time I get full pay). I'd then have to come back to work full time, and find about £600-700 a month extra for full time child care. It would cost me £183 a week to put my child in the nursery/pre-school at work (and that's discounted), that's approx £8700 a year (excluding my work hols) for child care.

If I'm not working full time, then the mortgage doesn't get paid. OH's wages pay for every other expense we incur (bills, car, food, doogs, insurance etc). My wage only pays the mortgage (and OH earns nearly 3x what I do).

At the moment, I can't see a way to do it. I don't really want to have a baby and then put them in full-time child-care - what's the point of having a baby? Plus there's the fact that I'd have to find an extra £200 a week for the child care. Or I have a baby, and get into more debt etc as we can't afford the bills...

We're economising as it is, as money is short. We're budgeting for absolutely everything, and selling as much stuff as we can to make money, and we can't cut down any more. I just don't see how we can get out of it.

I appreciate that you don't need to spend £££'s to have a child, and I wouldn't anyway! I'm happy with hand-me-downs and second hand stuff, and I'm happy to use reuseable nappies etc as well. There is always loads of baby stuff in the free-ads at work, so I know I could pick up the essentials easily.

The only little bit of hope I've got is that there is a very slim chance of a promotion in the next 18-24 months, which would mean an ease in the financial pressure and the ability to save up a bit of money.

OH has also had the idea that rather than going properly part time, we can both compress our hours so that we both work 4 days a week (but still the same number of hours), and that my mum could have the baby once a week, meaning we only have to find the money for 2 days childcare a week... which sounds OK, until I think of fitting in 7 extra hours of work into 4 days (and a baby!!)

Phew, OK, rant over. I hate thinking about it TBH, but it has to be done eventually!
I have to say though, the sheer fact you're thinking about the costs and practicalities makes you a better Mum than many people these days. Having children seems to have become a right rather than a privilege these days (no offence intended, not referring to anyone one on here etc etc)

My best friend was diagnosed with endometriosis (I think) and her Husband with a low sperm count. As a result they can't have children naturally, they were both devastated at the time, but have just adopted 3 children and now couldn't be happier. It's so lovely to see!

I'm definitely in the "what will be will be" camp, but then I have no desire whatsoever to have children so that could have something to do with it!
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-08-2009, 04:16 AM
I had my kids young. I got married at 18, had Sharnah my eldest daughter at 19 and Bethany my youngest at 20.
We didnt have a lot of money, as we bought a house as soon as I found out I was pregnant,(we were renting upto then) so we had a largish mortgage, all the normal household expenses and only Pete's wage to keep everything ticking over.

I had planned to go back to work when the girls went to school, but unfortunately my eldest daughter was diagnosed as severe epileptic when she was 3 years old, she was so bad with her seizures when she was little, the only way I could get her into a mainstream school was by promising I'd always be at home for the school to call me when sharnah went into her seizures.

Over the years, things have been tight at times, but my kids never went without.

I dont regret for one minute having my kids, but if I could go back and do it all again, I think i'd have waited a few more years, and had some time just with Pete before having the girls.
One of my sisters got married, had 5-ish years of just her and her hubby enjoying being married, holidays together, building up their lovely house, and then had a little boy.

I regret not having more time as hubby and wife before our life was taken over by being mum and dad. But whats done is done.. I love my girls, i'm very proud of the way they have grown up and I wouldnt swap them for the world... and on the plus side, in about 3 and a half years time when the youngest is 18 i'll have ready made dog sitters available to care for the dogs in their own home, whilst Pete and I finally get to spend some time on our own, preferably on a nice hot tropical beach somewhere
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 05:54 AM
My daughter was born 8 days prior to my 18th birthday.

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »