register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Do you 'do' dominance?
Yes I believe in the dominance/heirachy/pack theory 51 43.22%
No I don't 'do' dominance 42 35.59%
Have absolutely no idea 1 0.85%
Sitting on the fence 24 20.34%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 9 of 30 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »
Skyespirit86
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Yes, 'manners,' is a good substitue word for dominance, I think. Dogs are pack members and they have to know how to behave.
Skyespirit86
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-10-2007, 01:07 PM
He is being forceful. How else is he going to be the leader? By asking? By being nervous and apologetic? His forcefulness is calm, unquestionable, and very wise. It's not in an aggresive or losing your temper kind of way. the dogs are not hurt, or even frightened. They are just quickly and gently being knocked off the top spot and being shown, using their own language, the correct way to behave, so they can live a better life.
Lara'sYorkies
Dogsey Junior
Female 

Skyespirit86
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Oh for heavens sake. He did not hurt those dogs. See how slow and calm he was. yes, a part of me, like every person wants to go, oh, poor dog, don't do that.....But that kind of attitude isn't helpful. We has humans are far too emotional and weak in a lot of ways. We're nurture the sick and weak among our society, something no other animal species does including dogs. Those dogs were hurting each other more than Cesar hurt them, and they were a danger, an embarrassment and source of stress for the owner.Those dogs being picked up by the scruff of the neck, were perfectly fine- like Cesar said, its what mother dogs do, what a lot of mammals do. He also said its only applicable to small dogs. He explained the whole process,and was merely calming the aggression in them, not abusing them.
You obviously feel very spiteful against Cesar for very emotional and petty reasons. Stop searching through all his videos for things you can blow out of proportion and try and make him look like a fraud. It won't work, because you're weak and nit picking, and he's strong, intelligent and confident. And so am I.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 01:23 PM
my dogs rush through doors,climb all over me,eat whenever,jump all over the furniture generally have a jolly good time.........yet havent YET taken over the world & i have NO dominance behaviour,we are friends,mates, buddies, they want to please me. i can do ANYTHING with them,100% recall,100% handling, can take anything away, get them up or off of anything.I used to train with someone who was very into being the pack leader & found her dogs very edgy & worried & unable to think for themselves
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Well I have watched those videos twice now and cannot for the life of me see how anyone can say it is shocking. He had results and none of the dogs were hurt. So what is the problem?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by Skyespirit86 View Post
Oh for heavens sake. He did not hurt those dogs. See how slow and calm he was. yes, a part of me, like every person wants to go, oh, poor dog, don't do that.....But that kind of attitude isn't helpful. We has humans are far too emotional and weak in a lot of ways. We're nurture the sick and weak among our society, something no other animal species does including dogs. Those dogs were hurting each other more than Cesar hurt them, and they were a danger, an embarrassment and source of stress for the owner.Those dogs being picked up by the scruff of the neck, were perfectly fine- like Cesar said, its what mother dogs do, what a lot of mammals do. He also said its only applicable to small dogs. He explained the whole process,and was merely calming the aggression in them, not abusing them.
You obviously feel very spiteful against Cesar for very emotional and petty reasons. Stop searching through all his videos for things you can blow out of proportion and try and make him look like a fraud. It won't work, because you're weak and nit picking, and he's strong, intelligent and confident. And so am I.
Mother dogs do it to puppies not fully grown dogs. Whilst he may be behaving in what appears to be a calm manner he is pushing and prodding those dogs as well as picking them by the scruff. I have no issues in grabbing a dog by the scruff in an emergency, although I think the fact that he was doing it to terriers who have a very high pain threshold, thicker and more loose skin around the neck is significant. If he'd tried to do that to my poodles there is no way he could have shown it on the telly!
Not everyone agrees with his methods and you only have to look at the poll at the beginning to realise that a significant proportion do not subscribe to his methods. Get over it
Becky
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Ive watched the past 3 episodes of Cesar's show.Trying to keep an open mind here but what I saw was ( for the most part) dogs that were exhausted and looked like they had "given up".
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-10-2007, 02:28 PM
On the very occasion all hell breaks out in garden (normally over a bone) and if either two of the boys or girls decide to have a fight (they have never had a mixed sex fight) I just pile in between them, grab their collars, separate them and get them to sit at opposite ends of the garden with me in the middle.

Yes I do shout at them because they know better. I have even been known to throw the instigator of the fight (if I know who started it) into the garden pond when they refuse to stop, but none of this hurts them, it just redirects their attention back on me. Five minutes after they have had to sit on their own they are the best of friends again, save that one could be wetter than the other.

As I said in my first post on this thread, I am the boss in this house, and fighting amongst themselves is defiantly not permitted.

I personally think that the way Cesar handled them two wasn’t heavy handed or over the top. All dogs have got to learn discipline and some dogs just respond to different methods, so as long as the dog doesn’t get hurt mentally or physically in the process then whatever works is fine.

As Mahooli said she couldn’t treat her poodles the same way as those terriers, as I cannot deal with my dobes in the same way as her poodles. It’s horses for courses when it comes down to stopping two equally sizes dogs from fighting.

Attention diversion works best in this house.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Zetacharlie View Post
Ive watched the past 3 episodes of Cesar's show.Trying to keep an open mind here but what I saw was ( for the most part) dogs that were exhausted and looked like they had "given up".
...and that's a problem why ???

I realy don't understand.

I have to say I am shocked at how many people think CM is hurtful, vicious, whatever, when it seems to me that if these people hadnt of molly coddled their dogs in the first place and treated them like animals, they wouldn't have the behavioural issus in the first place.

This is what I think is shocking.

How many times do I hear about a terrier type biting, growling, snarling, and the owners condoning it, because that's "what terriers do !!!"

Boxers bounding all over people and misbehaving and owners condoning it because "Boxers are excitable, it's what they do"

NO IT'S NOT, be the boss and teach your dog some manners.

To all those who have impeccably behaved dogs, guess what, your dogs are submissive.

Get over it !
Page 9 of 30 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »