Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2007, 01:50 PM

Bitch pups costing more than dog pups

Just wondered after reading a post somewhere a few days ago which mentioned the price of a bitch and a dog, the bitch I think cost £100 more than the male,
With my litter I priced them all the same, I did not see why a bitch should be of more value than a dog, I just wondered if anyone else prices them higher, also would like to hear others thoughts on the subject,
thanks
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm of exactly the same opinion. The dog puppies cost the same to rear as the bitch puppies and I don't believe they are less worthy than bitches. This again reinforces the view that breeding is monetary motivated!
Becky
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Maybe some breeders put a higher price on bitches because they can then go on to 'produce' offspring of their own even though the males can be used for stud purposes and also bitches tend to be more highly desirable than dogs for some reason so that too could be an added factor, I'm like you though, all our puppies were priced the same regardless of sex/quality ie show or pet home
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Puppies from Max's litter were all the same price, but I've seen adverts in local papers and a well-known puppy website etc where bitches are often more than dogs.

Not sure why really....
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2007, 02:03 PM
With most pups being sold now with endorsments on the registrations I find it hard to believe they are getting away with it, If I now bought a pup with endorsments I would think ok its not for breeding with so would be a bit miffed if they charged more for a bitch, I just dont get it?
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2007, 02:07 PM
Dogs/Bitches all the same price with my litters.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2007, 02:48 PM
The dogs and bitches in Max's litter were all the same price. But I did notice when I was looking for a Dally (I decided against another in the end) in quite a few litters the bitches were priced £50 - £100 more than the dogs which I didn't really understand, I think dogs and bitches should be priced the same personally
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2007, 03:06 PM
I dont charge any more for my bitches, than dog pups - and they are all sold with endorsements on the registration papers.
However, I do worry particularly about placing bitch pups in 'safe' homes, where the endorsements will be respected (dont forget that they can still be bred from, just not registered with the KC), so the charitable side of me wonders whether these breeders are just trying to put off someone who may be thinking of breeding indiscriminately, by charging more for their bitches.

OTOH the cynic in me says it is more likely to be getting the best return on a potential breeding machine
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-05-2007, 03:08 PM
All the litters I have bought from were the same price, however when we got Storm his breeder did say they were tempted to sell the bitches for higher due to the amount of calls they got asking for bitches.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2007, 03:16 PM
I would run fast from anyone charging more for a bitch. Any respectable breeder charges the same for dogs or bitch and puts endorsements on them all anyway. To use the excuse the bitch could be bred from so therefore charge more is that of a greedy irresponsible breeder. Noone can say if a dog is good enough to breed from at the age of 8 weeks whether it is from good stock or not.
It's simple greed and unfortunately the unsuspecting newbie to dogs would perhaps fall for.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »