View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2006, 04:24 PM

Introduced Binka and Rosie today.............(rabbits)

..................it didn't go well

We put them in a pen on neutral ground but Binka kept flying at Rosie and pulling her hair out and was going for her face and he attacked her everytime she tried to move We tried them together for 5 mins but I couldn't stand to watch him bullying her any longer so we pulled her out and put her back in her own pen.

I am just wondering now whether Rosie might be a Jim or not cos she seems to be spraying in her hutch a bit and I wasn't aware that female rabbits did this? She was sold as a female and the man I got her off said she definitely was.
murphydog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2006, 07:34 PM
hi yes female rabbits can spray like males! i would get her sexed by your vet asap! is your boy neutered? if she is a she ! getting her spayed will help to make her more sociable ,pairing up rabbits can take some time,some bond straight away others can take months,have them in runs next too each other for a while so they get used to the other one being around
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Aww, that's a shame I thought things were looking good for their introduction.

I hope they get on eventually. I was thinking of getting louie a friend but maybe I won't !
murphydog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2006, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by BrandieSnap
Aww, that's a shame I thought things were looking good for their introduction.

I hope they get on eventually. I was thinking of getting louie a friend but maybe I won't !
please dont let this experience put you off, rabbits should not be on their own they should live in pairs or groups! go to a rescue center for another bunny they are experience at pairing up bunnies! i foster and do the pairing up for my local rescue center and i have a group of 6 buns which is 3males and females who live in an enclosure they are all rescued and get on fine and they are all neutered!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by murphydog
hi yes female rabbits can spray like males! i would get her sexed by your vet asap! is your boy neutered? if she is a she ! getting her spayed will help to make her more sociable ,pairing up rabbits can take some time,some bond straight away others can take months,have them in runs next too each other for a while so they get used to the other one being around
Hiya Murphy,

Yes Binka was neutered about 3 or 4 months ago now and then I got Rosie as a 10 week old rabbit the weekend after we had Binka neutered (although it was still cold outside so I put her in an inside cage whilst she got a bit bigger) I then got her a big two storey cage and run attached hoping that her and Binka would be able to live together. I have had their cages and runs next to each other for about 2 months or more now and they are fine sniffing at each other through the bars.

Here are a few piccys of the set up.

murphydog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2006, 07:55 PM
hi lovely rabbits! its a nice set up you have! i would get her sexed asap and neutered either way,then when she has recovered from her op try again, when they were fighting (i know this can look bad) did you notice who started it? how long were they at it b4 you seperated them?
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2006, 09:42 PM
hi lovely rabbits! its a nice set up you have! i would get her sexed asap and neutered either way,then when she has recovered from her op try again, when they were fighting (i know this can look bad) did you notice who started it? how long were they at it b4 you seperated them?
Well personally I don't think neutering would make any difference to how they get on because it was Binka (the brown rabbit) who has been neutered who was being nasty -Rosie wasn't a bit nasty and was quite prepared to let him be the boss but he just kept going for her all the time and every time she moved he went for her again - I don't think she did anything to him - he pulled a few bits of her fur out but what concerned me most was he was going for her face all the time and I wasn't happy that he wasn't going to hurt her. I don't really want to put her through neutering to be honest - I had him done so we wouldnt have little rabbits but I don't really want to put her through an operation that isn't really needed. I have heard about it protecting against cancer and everything but I had a female rabbit before and she was 8 when she died (she was put to sleep cos of an eye problem) and she was healthy all her life. They were together about 5 mins before we separated them because Rosie looked really scared
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2006, 09:50 PM
aww foxy your bunnies are so cute
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-07-2006, 09:57 PM
Aww cute wabbits
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2006, 11:54 PM
please dont let this experience put you off, rabbits should not be on their own they should live in pairs or groups! go to a rescue center for another bunny they are experience at pairing up bunnies! i foster and do the pairing up for my local rescue center and i have a group of 6 buns which is 3males and females who live in an enclosure they are all rescued and get on fine and they are all neutered!

Oh ok thanks for the advice He needs to be neutered first though

Sorry for invading your thread foxy.

Good luck with your bunnies
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >