Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 05:30 PM

Bingo at the butchers!

Well, I now have a butcher who will order me in a pigs head for a fiver (no idea if that price is good or not?) and also pig pluck, don't know the price by weight yet but reckons I can get a bag for about £6. Hoping he'll chuck in trotters too!

This means at least my dog can eat something more than chicken and a can of fish in a week as far as meat is concerned anyway, so I'm happy.

Now a question for you all, is it really weird to be so happy about bringing a pigs head home?
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Lol, nope! I was really excited about bringing home a pigs head and seeing how my dogs tackled it!
tattoogirl73
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Nope, I'd say it was perfectly normal. My non dog friends did think i was strange posting a photo of him waiting to eat it on fb though
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Lol, nope! I was really excited about bringing home a pigs head and seeing how my dogs tackled it!
Originally Posted by tattoogirl73 View Post
Nope, I'd say it was perfectly normal. My non dog friends did think i was strange posting a photo of him waiting to eat it on fb though
I got the butcher to cut the head in half and he had the first half and loved it. He was busy for about 4-5 hours in total

I thought he'd leave the eye but he ate it!!

The butcher says I can order weekly for him. Havent had the Pigs Pluck off them yet so I'll see what I get/how much/cost on Monday.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Brilliant. I still haven't managed to get my hands on one yet, lucky Loui! Does that mean he's ok with pork now? You'll have to post pictures of him enjoying it
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Brilliant. I still haven't managed to get my hands on one yet, lucky Loui! Does that mean he's ok with pork now? You'll have to post pictures of him enjoying it
Yep, so far he is fine with pork, chicken, eggs and fish, so I feel a bit better that he is getting some variety from natural sources at least. His coat and skin are what people would say is fine but they are not as good as they used to be and I'm hoping a bit more variety (especially a more "fatty" meat) will help. It also means he can eat pig pluck, so I'm really pleased he can eat pork. The only thing is I'm having to go 50/50 dry/raw soon, but at least I have identified foods he cant have, so all should go fine there (still a little nervous though! will just need to be careful and keep notes again...go easy on amounts..)

I have half a head in the freezer (that so doesn't sound right! lol) so I will try feeding it frozen and see if he does anything differently (and get photos) The first half he wasnt keen on what looked like the brain. There was me thinking a bit of grey matter might do him good! I think its cos he stuck his paw in it and didnt realise it was soft, pulled it out like eeeewww! Didnt put him off enough to stop him eating though! AND he really did NOT want to give it up even when he was knackered, he was grabbing it and running off.. Its actually good to see him enjoy food again, rather than just eat the same stuff over and over..
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 08:27 PM
Eeeewwww at the paw in brain story So great to hear that you've found him some variety and some offal he can eat.

Are you putting him on a pork and potato kibble?

Have you tried him on rabbit?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Eeeewwww at the paw in brain story So great to hear that you've found him some variety and some offal he can eat.

Are you putting him on a pork and potato kibble?

Have you tried him on rabbit?
well DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE OF A SENSITIVE DISPOSITION (hoping thats the right word lol)

I thought he'd leave the eye..he didnt. He just smashed it down under the skin with his paw then ate it with the skin (of the cheek area) I dunno how he'd even think of that! but there you go, problem solved ( I know it sounds so disgusting but he really amazes me sometimes, you can see him pause, look, think, plan, do. pushing it sideways..flip it over, push it...)

I'm putting him on a fish and rice diet as he has been doing good with fish and rice (not so good with potato) so hoping that goes ok. I will be looking for any changes in temperament as well as physical changes though. (back to the notepad!) I actually dont believe dogs need grains but with Loui it has become a sort of, avoiding what is ACTUALLY bad for him, rather than undesirable...if you know what I mean.

He is OK with a small amount of rabbit in his diet but his tum doesnt tolerate a lot of rabbit. He doesnt get cysts or any chest problems with it, though I havent wanted to push it cos of his belly anyway.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 08:44 PM
I got 4 pig heads for £3 once I thought that was brilliant Jake won't eat the blooming things though, so I have them and some pigs trotters in the freezer that I need to get rid off! I'm going to try to get him some lamb heads instead, I think they will go down better with him
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I got 4 pig heads for £3 once I thought that was brilliant Jake won't eat the blooming things though, so I have them and some pigs trotters in the freezer that I need to get rid off! I'm going to try to get him some lamb heads instead, I think they will go down better with him
WOW that is good!! Oh yeah, I remember your photos lol this one came with skin!! only thing is it looked kinda cute I thought Loui would go for the muscle part in the snout as one of his firsts too, but he didnt...saved that for almost last. Maybe Jake will like the smell of the red meat animals better.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >