Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 05:50 PM
They add yeast to Orijen?

Just looked at my bag and it is not mentioned anywhere on the label?

It is the 6 fish variety
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
They add yeast to Orijen?

Just looked at my bag and it is not mentioned anywhere on the label?

It is the 6 fish variety
Hmmm I just looked but I can't find it on their website now :/ I remember starting a thread about it and it was one of the reasons I stopped giving Rocky it (gave him runny poos which led to me look). Unless I am confusing it for something else :/

Either way if a food gives your dog runny poos I would not feed it, as diarrhoea is the body's natural reaction to food that it really doesn't want.

I would also get the dog tested for H.Pylori infection as they can pick that up from (and transfer it to) humans - that can also cause diarrhoea and sickness.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 07:13 PM
I would agree with Smokeybear. Orijen should be fed in very small amounts because it's higher in nutrition than most kibbles. I sometimes feed mine Acana, which is made by the same manufacturer as Orijen (Champion petfoods) and I only have to feed them a very small amount, about half of what they had when I gave them Burns and other grain based foods. Runny poos are almost always caused by over feeding - unless the poos are particularly smelly or watery or accompanied by other symptoms such as lethargy or vomiting it's not great cause for concern, just reduce the amount you are feeding.
John sb
New Member!
Male 

11-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Cheers Azz i wanted to raw feed but after talking to the nurse at the vets he said that hills dry food was better weather tey get commission for selling it i don't know. I looked into it and come to conclusion that origin was better. A friend feeds raw food from a pet wholesale place that is minced chicken, turkey, tripe and chicken, tripe and beef. He also mixes this with a mix of blended frozen veg from the same wholesale place and sometimes boiled eggs and bit of yogurt i mentioned this to the nurse but he said it was not good for her., Im a bit skeptical though coz his dog is in great shape, not a bit of fat on him and very well built, what do you think of the type of raw diet that I've mentioned Im confused i want to do what ever is the best for her. Thanks everyone.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by John sb View Post
Cheers Azz i wanted to raw feed but after talking to the nurse at the vets he said that hills dry food was better weather tey get commission for selling it i don't know. I looked into it and come to conclusion that origin was better. A friend feeds raw food from a pet wholesale place that is minced chicken, turkey, tripe and chicken, tripe and beef. He also mixes this with a mix of blended frozen veg from the same wholesale place and sometimes boiled eggs and bit of yogurt i mentioned this to the nurse but he said it was not good for her., Im a bit skeptical though coz his dog is in great shape, not a bit of fat on him and very well built, what do you think of the type of raw diet that I've mentioned Im confused i want to do what ever is the best for her. Thanks everyone.
Yep... they make a profit from selling Hills - so yes, unfortunately, you have to take that advice with a pinch of salt.

The best diet for anyone, whether human or animal is a species appropriate diet - because that's what we have evolved to make the most of. It is also the diet that will give us the least problems.

We have a RAW feeding section here on Dogsey - definitely worth a look, especially if other foods are not working out. (If so be sure to get the dog checked for H.Pylori too - as that could be a problem.)
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Also check

Salmonella
E Coli
Giardia
Campylobacter

As any of the above could be the origen of the diarrhoea.
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Most people advise that when you are switching from grain inclusive to grain free, to NOT transition slowly but do it all at once. I know why, I just can't remember at the moment lol. Orijen is an awesome food, but I agree with the other posters who said you have to be careful not to over feed it. This is a highly dense food, it CAN be too rich for some dogs, no doubt about it, however it can take up to six weeks for some dogs to get back to normal hard stools when switching foods. Loose stool does not always indicate that the food is a bad choice. People just tend to panic, and keep switching over and over, which does a lot more damage in the long run if you have a sensitive dog than sticking to one kibble and letting the body have a chance to settle. I would also keep the treats away for a bit. People tend to forget all about what they're giving as treats, which can have an impact on digestion just as much if not more than the kibble.
You were right to do your research and not just buy into whatever the vet told you. Trust me, when it comes to large/giant breeds especially, the vast majority of vets don't have a clue on the proper nutrition for our dogs. And Hills, Medical, Iams and foods that you will often find vets touting as the best, are actually VERY low quality, crap kibble not suitable for a rat. Good for you!
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-02-2012, 05:57 PM
hello jenn , a fellow canadian here.my name is phil, im in hrm... nova scotia ,iv got pits and dogos...i rescue and share your opinion. dogs that are nevious have soft poo also.changing slowly?why?,get it over with,is what i say...there may be allergys to ingredience found in the kibble new kibbles that were not in old bag....iv got i dog who who is alergetic to lots and i can tell if she was feed something her body rejects...she will thow up or get the runns.ears turn red and feet get itchy....
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by 3dognight View Post
hello jenn , a fellow canadian here.my name is phil, im in hrm... nova scotia ,iv got pits and dogos...i rescue and share your opinion. dogs that are nevious have soft poo also.changing slowly?why?,get it over with,is what i say...there may be allergys to ingredience found in the kibble new kibbles that were not in old bag....iv got i dog who who is alergetic to lots and i can tell if she was feed something her body rejects...she will thow up or get the runns.ears turn red and feet get itchy....
Hey! Nice to see a fellow Canadian here I got lucky with Luke ((many of my GD friends have not I'm afraid)) in that he can eat pretty much anything and be fine. I tell him he's got a cast iron stomach lol. I'm glad, because it's so hard for people who have truly sensitive dogs, you're always on edge worrying about treats, watching stool,etc. There are some dogs, just like some people as gross as it may sound, that will never have a firm stool, no matter what they eat. There are so many reasons it's hard to pinpoint the exact one all the time. And remember, there's a big difference between soft serve and diarrhea. If your dog is shooting what amounts to water out the back end, THAT is a different story.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-02-2012, 08:49 PM
bingo!sounds like you know your stuff.hey...do you want .........a pit?im not that far!id deliver...lol.phil
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >