01-11-2011, 07:45 PM

What does everyone think of this....

http://www.directline.com/pet/how-to...ack-leader.htm

(sorry if theres already a thread!! )
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 07:50 PM

Some are alright such as always be consistent and walk regularly - but just WHY?!
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Well what a load of nonsence some/most of that is
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Since when does an insurance company have the slightest idea about dog training??? Cesar Milan has a lot to answer for!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 08:01 PM
I agree with most of it ... notable exceptions are not allowing your dog on the furniture (if it is under your terms and is acceptable to you, then why should the dog not be allowed on the furniture). I don't agree with the walking in through the door first (I much prefer the dogs to go in front of me down the stairs, down steps, through gateways simply because I can see what they are doing and I am less likely to be knocked from behind).

The calm behaviour surrounding food/meal times is spot on, as is the talking to dogs in silly squeaky excitable voices (unless your aim is to excite the dog, for instance to particularly emphasise some good behaviour [my hubby hates it when I do this!]).

Most of it is commonsense.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 08:10 PM
I don't see anything objectionable about it tbh, although not all of it I follow myself, for example allowing dogs on the bed. Then again, my boy's a delinquent anyway
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 08:12 PM
'Training your dog: how to be a pack leader

If you own a dog it’s important to get the balance of power right from the start – here’s how.

A dog is instinctively a pack animal and will see you, its owner, and anyone else in the household as its pack, so it is important to make sure it understands its position at the bottom of the pack hierarchy.

This does not mean bullying the dog, but simply being assertive. Famed ‘Dog Whisperer’ Cesar Millan says: ‘In the absence of a clear leader, a dog, even a submissive one, will seek to fill what they see as the vacant leadership role. The dog will ignore the owner, act out, and this can lead to serious behaviour issues.’

Its this bit that concerns me more than the bullet points....
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 08:17 PM
OMG ... According to that I've got two dominant dogs and a dominant cat

How come then .... DESPITE ... allowing them to go through doors before me ... my choice .... always feeding them before I eat ..... more convenient to me ..... allowing them to sleep on my bed ..... makes me feel secure knowing they're sleeping next to me .... (won't bother to go on) .... I have two well behaved, obedient dogs
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
OMG ... According to that I've got two dominant dogs and a dominant cat

How come then .... DESPITE ... allowing them to go through doors before me ... my choice .... always feeding them before I eat ..... more convenient to me ..... allowing them to sleep on my bed ..... makes me feel secure knowing they're sleeping next to me .... (won't bother to go on) .... I have two well behaved, obedient dogs
It's a miracle, plain and simple!