View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
xionax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2013, 04:41 PM

No sign of fleas but both my dogs are itching?

hi,

i have two bitches, overall there healthy dogs but recently theyve both been itching and scratching, not so much that there going bald or marks but they do seem comfortable with all the itching, theres no signs of fleas (vets have checked aswell).

they are both wormed reguarly, bathed fed walked looked after correctl, it's just past few weeks they scratch and nibble at their paws. i though it could of been an allergic reaction but then they both started it. any help or supplements reccomened?

thanks
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2013, 05:03 PM
Do you treat them regularly with something like Frontline? If so you should be able to discount fleas.

Re allergies - have you changed their diet or anything else in their environment recently?
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Another Tibeten owner .... I have two.

One of mine has allergies and the signs are itching. Unlikely to be fleas at this time of year, nor harvest mites. So most likely a contact allergy or their food.

* Have you changed their food in the last 2 months?
* Have you changed your washing powder or whatever you clean their beds with?
* Do you use a carpet cleaner?
* Have you been walking them on salt-gritted roads or pavements? (If so wash their feet when you get home)

Good luck trying to eliminate what is causing their discomfort.
wizze
New Member!
Female 

25-03-2013, 11:29 PM
Do you use frontline all the time? I have had sevrel clients with the same prob .i'm sure fleas build up amunaty (sorry spelt wrong) to the
same product try something different for a couple of months
justineportia21
New Member!
Female 

27-03-2013, 04:12 PM
I had this problem before and took my dog to two vets.
The second vet explained this huge scientific thing to me but basically she has something in her hair thats making her itch so he gave me pills and told me to use a product called "Uba vet" Which is omega-3 fatty acids for dogs (or cats) and you squirt it on their food. I would buy that first , Im not sure what pet stores carry it but I got mine at the pets store located inside my vets practice, it cost about $24.99 (canadian) for a small bottle but you don't use a lot and it WORKS.
with that and the pills my vet prescribed my portia was feeling much better and has stopped itching
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2013, 12:00 AM
Allergies have started early this year. Our oldest Boxer is reacting. It does sound like a contact allergy of some sort. Ask your vet about antihistamines
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2013, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by xionax View Post
hi,

i have two bitches, overall there healthy dogs but recently theyve both been itching and scratching, not so much that there going bald or marks but they do seem comfortable with all the itching, theres no signs of fleas (vets have checked aswell).

they are both wormed reguarly, bathed fed walked looked after correctl, it's just past few weeks they scratch and nibble at their paws. i though it could of been an allergic reaction but then they both started it. any help or supplements reccomened?

thanks
Hi MyAfghan Crystal started itching,thought it was the grass,left it as the vet had said in the summer there are little bugs,so she may be itchie,but it steadly got worse,took heragain to the vet,this time did scrapings,she had caught the mange from the fox,from then on in the summer months I put a tee on all dogs when they walked in the fields,some dogs just love the grass when it is high,but it took months to get rid of the mange. crystalgirl
wormole
New Member!
Female 

28-03-2013, 09:45 PM
Could your girls be walking in stinging nettles? I noticed my boys licking and nibbling at their feet after a walk in a new place where the nettles were just starting to come up.
lindaisy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-03-2013, 11:55 PM
One thing that can make a dog itch / scratch is anal gland is blocked, but if both dogs are itching it sounds like a pest.

One pest that can affect dogs with general itching is the ear mite, it can cause problem around the back end, the ears (brown ear wax a good indicator also) and feet can also itch.

Thornit is an old canker remedy that uses the smallest amount of powder but is very effective for this.

If you want an alternative pest control than frontline, as it doesn't cover mites, a good new one is Advocate.....covers most pests in a one monthly application.....it has to be perscribed by the vet in 3 month doses.....bit more expensive than frontline but is an excellent all round pest treatment.