Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-03-2008, 12:19 PM

Has agility become too competitive?

As a relative outsider looking into the world of dog agility I cannot help but wonder at the changes that have appeared in the 'sport'.

My OH does agility and has had some success in the past even though she uses a Dobermann and not the 'weapon of choice' otherwise known as the Collie.

With the new regs senior handlers are now running what appears to be a never ending stream of young Collies in grade 3, no-one else seems to ever get a lookin now and I cannot help wondering whether these handlers actually need all these dogs or if they are training them up and selling them on for profit.

Agility has always been a fun event but with a competitive twist, but now it seems as a must win at all costs event which has taken some of the appeal away for those who have patiently progressed with their dog only to now get completely blown away by some upstart. I am refering to times where 25 second clear round for a course was considered a fair effort, even a winner, whereas now we have a blur of Collie disappearing round in 20.

Has it all gone a bit Pete Tong?

Even owners that have long since had non Collies seem to be appearing with new collie pups, fair enough you have ABC events, but they are not really of any use if you want to progress further. Personally I blame the rules and it all seems to be leaning towards the Collie as being the only dog to have if you ever want to do well. Its a shame really.

Btw we have an old Collie (ex agility), but if the OH even hints at getting another when he pops his clogs, I am leaving home.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Has agility become too competitive?

Well I don't do agility but if it is a competition it is bound to be competitive and people will wish their dogs to be winners.

Guess those with dogs other than border collies can try for a clear in a good time for them but that is not the same as winning.

Do they not have classes for Border Collies and classes for dog other than BC?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2008, 01:51 PM
do the ABC classes! dont try to "dumb down" the collies!
Lets lower the standards so the non collies can get a look in?

Its like doing the grandnational on a welsh cob! horses for courses.
There are TONS of crap collies that will never win anything.

It is a sport afterall, if you cant compete at the level, just "enjoy" the dog for the enjoyment it can give you at the level it can do. If it cant win out then its not good enough is it?

Colies ARENT for people that dont like them, not everyone can live & train one. They arent a easy option!!!!!!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Think that is what I was trying to convey Mishflynn, try to enjoy and improve your own dogs performance.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Being a sport I think you will always get people who are more competative than others, I don't necessarily think they spoil it, we certainly havn't come across anyone who is 'win at all cost' yes most BCs are fast, but there are non BC who are equally as fast, and some BCs who are slow, it just depends on the dog, and yes there were quite a few BC pups at the show we went to at the weekend, but I thinks about 50% of the dogs at the show were non BCs

I have never thought of Jack as a 'weapon of choice', with us Jack came first, the agility second, if he didn't enjoy it, we wouldn't do it, but he absolutly loves it, and whether he wins a class, gets a clear round, or gets eliminated everytime, we would still do it.

This was briefly discussed at the show, a friend has Belgium Shepherds, and she gets clear rounds everytime, but has no hope of getting placed, I don't know what else can be done, maybe more classes along the line of ABC, or classes just for BC, but I'm sorry you are so peeved at Collie owners, but please don't tar us all with the same brush.
Cayley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2008, 02:56 PM
When I was competing we won a starters class by 7 secs and another by 4 secs, we don't compete anymore as my collie doesn't enjoy it but in the short time we were in grade 3 classes we barely got placed which came as a bit of a shock .
melzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
do the ABC classes! dont try to "dumb down" the collies!
Lets lower the standards so the non collies can get a look in?

Its like doing the grandnational on a welsh cob! horses for courses.
There are TONS of crap collies that will never win anything.

It is a sport afterall, if you cant compete at the level, just "enjoy" the dog for the enjoyment it can give you at the level it can do. If it cant win out then its not good enough is it?

Colies ARENT for people that dont like them, not everyone can live & train one. They arent a easy option!!!!!!
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Think you misunderstood mishflynn, comes from not reading the thread properly as it was worded.

Not trying to dumb down Collies, just questioning the ethics of many owners having 8+ dogs each at an event, all Collies of similar ages, plus if you had taken the time to actually read the thread instead of skimming through you would have seen we have had Collies in the past in agility, plus I mentioned ABC events too.

Typical reaction from SOME agility Collie owners tbh, get the same at events from SOME owners, if you don't like it get a Collie attitude.

Thank you Pita and CLMG for actually reading and replying, and its interesting that similar things have been discussed at other events. Btw our Dobe has won out twice, and competes in grade 3, she often goes clear but we don't expect so much from her as she is 6 now and had pups a couple of years ago.

What I have noticed is apparent dominance of Collies in all large dog grades with hardly any non collies competing anymore but so long as the attitude is if you want to win get a Collie, then thats all we shall pretty much see in the future. Plus there are many that had other breeds that now have a Collie pup in tow.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2008, 04:13 PM
If they have the time and energy to train and compete with numerous dogs good luck to them.

Ok it is hard to feel that you have little chance of a place but does make the ones you do get that bit more special
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by fluffybunnyfeet View Post
Not trying to dumb down Collies, just questioning the ethics of many owners having 8+ dogs each at an event, all Collies of similar ages, plus if you had taken the time to actually read the thread instead of skimming through you would have seen we have had Collies in the past in agility, plus I mentioned ABC events too.
reminds me somewhat of when i was younger and went in local shows with my pony.. some children (often with pushy parents) would ride three ponies in each class, often making up more than 50% of the entrants.. they'd probably get placed above me, but i didn't mind.. i was just doing it for fun and they were taking it very seriously indeed; often ending up in floods of tears at the end of the day..

i suppose, in the cheesiest way, its not the winning that counts.. set your own goals and be proud of what you've achieved.. maybe it would be nice if there were non-collie classes (not sure if there already are), but would that make you feel any better - effectively competing in a B class? might be good for getting some more places, but surely it's more rewarding watching your dobe compete alongside the collies and still do well? if you and your dog still enjoy it then i'd carry on as you are..
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »