Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
melzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2008, 09:32 PM

walking yor dogs in the dark

now that the clocks have went back and its darker earlyer now,does anyone change there routien? wrong spelling i know mooblie had a fright last nite and i was scared tonight walking through the park after work and i wonderd if anyone walk there dogs at different places at different times in the winter months?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 09:34 PM
I dont really mind, but I have rotties which makes me feel better, Im used to being out and about at late o'clock, so the dogs are just an added bonus for me in the dark
melzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2008, 09:38 PM
its been a long time since ive had to walk a dog in the dark an it was just tonight that i thought omg im scared but i forgot its different with a dog with you
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2008, 09:48 PM
My friend and I have been walking the dogs about 6pm but by the time we had an hours walk round the park, it was pitch black. Sometimes we couldn't see the dogs and more worrying we couldn't see other people and their dogs coming, so we are now trying to walk them around 4pm.
I've also invested in one of the little flashing lights that attaches to a dog collar which might help.
I do think having quite a large dog makes you feel a bit safer in the dark
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2008, 09:51 PM
As i live in a flat we have to go out at night. Sometimes it is 10sometime midnight. I walk around the town and althoi dont see a soul i feel safe.
zuhzoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-10-2008, 10:21 PM
Bigger dogs definitely make you feeler safer! (Or a dog in general, walking in the dark alone isn't fun!) I have friends who don't have a set routine, just say morning and evening, and walk the dog when it is best- so if it's too dark they'll go later... Don't think the dogs would mind
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2008, 11:28 PM
We walk ours at various hours. I have noticed that many people seem to change their walk times, around here anyhow.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2008, 05:40 AM
I don't feel unsafe during the 5pm walk, even though it's starting to get dark. However, the 9pm one is pitch black. I have Baz with me for part of it, which helps. It's only literally round the block, so at least it's quick. My dogs don't make me feel safe at all. One's too old and the other is terrified of her own shadow. The one Baz walks is the same.....
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Yes, I've decided to make the afternoon country walk for Cox earlier now that the clocks have gone back - although will still need to go round the block twice in the dark - but that is lit so at least I can see the dog, and anyone else for that matter.

I got caught out yesterday and was stumbling around country lanes not being able to see Cox or anything else for the last 20mins of the walk, and I didn't like that!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2008, 12:48 PM
When I had a full time job I had no choice but to walk the dogs in winter before work in the dark, at lunchtime in the light and again in the dark after work. I had a couple of scary encounters, but on the whole it didn't bother me.

Now I don't have to do a 9-5 job, I can pretty much walk the dogs as and when I want to. I still like taking them out after tea when it is dark and again last thing at night before bed. As we have acres of land around the house, then my walks in the dark tend to be straight from home. I feel completely safe around here, as no-one walks up here in the dark except me and the odd gamekeeper - and I know then all in any event.

After my unnerving incident in the forest on Sunday night, it might make me twice about walking up there alone again as it is getting dark. I will still do it, but might encourage hubby to come with me next time
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >