Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

29-06-2016, 06:55 PM

Three ways to control your dangerous dog

10 minute video on the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/item/1...0-991b26045e0f

It's a dog's life, especially if your pet pooch is known to bite, bark and display bad behaviour.

Don't worry, help is at hand. If you have a 'dangerous' dog, animal behaviourist, Dr Kendal Shepherd, believes that with three simple rules you can gain control of your four-legged friend...
Astonished a woman with 3 (or was it 4!?) children decides to get not one but two dogs!!
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2016, 03:47 PM
Interesting video! Thanks for sharing!

I wish the narrator had explained the reasoning behind her rewarding a different dog when the one in the kennel wouldn't do as she asked. My trainer has us do that too...a bit of "jealousy"..."you didn't do your job so now I'm going to reward this dog for doing it!" It always made my dog really sit up and take notice!
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2016, 03:49 PM
Though I'm not sure any of those dogs were really AGGRESSIVE. They seemed more like they had never been taught any impulse control. My younger dog was like that...mouthy, jumping up on me, NO impulse control (I have a few scars from him!). He's learned to control himself much better over time but it was clear he had never been taught ANYTHING before he came to us.
perriejinnie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-07-2016, 06:11 AM
Mind if your dog is dangerous. You must impose some restrictions on your dog when in public. The aggressive dog cannot be trusted because he has so fickle minded that nobody can guess his mood so to avoid his biting.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-07-2016, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
Interesting video! Thanks for sharing!

I wish the narrator had explained the reasoning behind her rewarding a different dog when the one in the kennel wouldn't do as she asked. My trainer has us do that too...a bit of "jealousy"..."you didn't do your job so now I'm going to reward this dog for doing it!" It always made my dog really sit up and take notice!
I sometimes do that with my two.

My Schnauzer boy has a brilliant recall but my Pei's can sometimes be "iffy". However, she hates missing out on anything he and I are doing, so if she doesn't come when called, I'll ignore her and reward and praise my Schnauzer instead.

Works like a charm!
Ms. M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-07-2016, 03:57 AM
Thanks for sharing this! Very useful video.