Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by fluffybunnyfeet View Post
Is just me that thinks the menace of out-of-control Staffys should be sorted?

I know its a very touchy subject and contraversal and there are many owners of lovely Staffys, but are they losing their place in society?

If there is one dog that stands the hairs up on my neck its a staffy that is heading my way when I have either of my dogs with me.
No -you aren't the only one! I have had quite a few bad experiences with out-of-control Staffys. People think it is acceptable to let their Staffys come charging at Cherry from the other side of the field/park when she is on-lead. She is blind in one eye and poor eyesight in the other and can't read their body language so finds this very scarey. She has been attacked like this before too. I use my pet corrector spray to get them to back off-the last time it happened it took 6 sprays to stop the dog charging at her. The owner then mouthed off at me and say I shouldn't bring my dog out if she is frightened of other dogs but it is them who shouldn't bring their dogs out to annoy and frighten other people's dogs. Cherry is on a flexi-lead and has 2 obedience trophies so she is well-behaved.

We have also had a few Staffy attacks here recently-the last one being on a small puppy who went to our training class. It was bitten around the neck and very traumatised as a result.
If I had a small dog like my Sister who has a Bichon Frise I would be concerned where I walked my dog but at least she can pick her dog up. My dogs weigh a total of 30KG so that is not really an option!

I am grateful for the repsonsible dog owners who walk their dog-aggressive Staffies on leads (there are a few of them we see in our morning walk) but they are not all this repsonsible unfortunately!
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-05-2010, 06:46 PM
That article was incredibly confusing

As for offlead Staffies, It shouldn't be the breed that matters but the act itself. Any out of control dog is dangerous, be it a staffie, a collie, a mutt, a terrier or any other breed. We should be tackling owners who allow their dogs to get dangerously out of control, not their choice of breed.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2010, 09:51 PM
I found that confusing!

I agree that the weims owner wasnt to blame but the SBTs owner was and is an idiot!
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2010, 10:13 PM
after reading the report again it seems to me that
the guide dog was being walked by a friend of the blind man when the Weimeraner allegedly attacked it, while this was all happening the blind man/owner of guide dog was out with another friend when her dog was attacked somewhere else??
maybe
I've left a comment anyway to say I'm confused.
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-05-2010, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
Yeah, its probably just you.

As the rest of us, would rather see the menace of their idiot owners sorted. As they're the ones who create the problem.
Yeah I agree entirely Not like a dog has a brain and has a mindset of its own Its got to be the owners fault of course as the owner does all the thinking and actions for the dog and is guided entirely by its owner and his/her thought process.

With a little bit of focus and concentration I actually managed to get my Dobe to put a pizza in the oven tonight and serve it up.

Strip away the fine veil and you find below a fighting dog. No matter how much you dig and probe you will find a fighting dog, team this up with your average retard and you will have a fighting dog with a retard, its simples yeah?
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2010, 01:04 AM
Originally Posted by ruthshaw9 View Post
I agree that it is a confusing report. I've read it through a couple of times and it seems to me that there was a guide dog with the blind boyfriend of the daxie owner. The daxie was attacked by a staffie and the guide dog tried to run but wasn't attacked by the staffie and was unhurt. The other guide dog is the one that was bitten by the weim on the lead who's owner has offered to pay the vet bills.
Thanks for that. I was totally in the dark when I read this article. I had NO idea what had really happened. Very confusing. Poor journalism all around. Adding the dog bite statistics was poor form. No humans were harmed in these attacks. That much I could glean from the article.
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2010, 01:34 AM
Originally Posted by ruthshaw9 View Post
I agree that it is a confusing report. I've read it through a couple of times and it seems to me that there was a guide dog with the blind boyfriend of the daxie owner. The daxie was attacked by a staffie and the guide dog tried to run but wasn't attacked by the staffie and was unhurt. The other guide dog is the one that was bitten by the weim on the lead who's owner has offered to pay the vet bills.
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
Thanks for that. I was totally in the dark when I read this article. I had NO idea what had really happened. Very confusing. Poor journalism all around. Adding the dog bite statistics was poor form. No humans were harmed in these attacks. That much I could glean from the article.
sorry to confuse even more but there were 2 attacks in two differant places on the wirral.
I think my other post nearly explains the situation although I am still not 100% sure

Originally Posted by liverbird View Post
after reading the report again it seems to me that
the guide dog was being walked by a friend of the blind man when the Weimeraner allegedly attacked it, while this was all happening the blind man/owner of guide dog was out with another friend when her dog was attacked somewhere else??
maybe
I've left a comment anyway to say I'm confused.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2010, 08:57 AM
as far as I can make out there was one incident, where a woman and her blind boyfriend were walking their two dogs a daxie and a lab, the offlead staffy owned by a numpty attacked the dash but left the lab alone - who then attempted to pull its owner into the road to get away.

The second attack was a guide dog being exercised in a local park( OFFLEAD) and 20 feet away from its walker, when it approached an onlead weim who then attacked it.
With that in mind the blame lands with the walker of the guide dog who let it approach an onlead dog with no questions asked.

As for the inevitable staffy comments, then it stands to reason that the breed of choice for numpties and irresponsible dog owners is the staffy, thus there are going to be attacks by staffies on other dogs.

Yes they have a fighting history - a very long time ago, that does not dictate that every staffie will at some point decide to attack another dog. As the owner of a sometimes dog aggressive staffie who is walked onlead, all the reports of staffy attacks on other dogs upsets me but 9/10 if you look up the non existent lead you will spot the problem.

Any responsible dog owner of ANY breed would do their upmost to avoid confrontation if they own a DA dog, and apportioning all the blame at "fighting breeds" will never solve the problem.

Our local park has a problem with a dog aggressive dog - it aint mine, its the Black lab who has so far attacked a male staffie, a bichon, and another lab.....

Last time I checked the Labrador had no "fighting history"
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Have to agree with Brundog on this one-there is a pensioner who walks a very large black Lab on the heath. I was lulled into the false assumption that all Labs are sweet and friendly till I met this one. It tried to have a pop at Cherry who is on-lead and only kept away because I was shouting at it extra loud "NO" continously!

I told the owner he should keep it under control if it wasn't friendly and he said it was my fault for having my dog on a lead and I shouldn't have her on a lead(!)

Talking to other dog owners I found out this dog had bitten at least 2 other dogs and had knocked an older lady over just when she had come out of hospital after falling down an escalator. I looked up the terms of the dangerous fdogs act and told his friend (who runs the pitch and putt course on the heath) to tell the owner if I saw this dog off-leash and umnmuzzled again I would report it to the dog warden.

Result of this was he walks it on a leash/muzzled now-good! He even changed direction when he saw me coming with Cherry!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Have to agree with Brundog on this one-there is a pensioner who walks a very large black Lab on the heath. I was lulled into the false assumption that all Labs are sweet and friendly till I met this one. It tried to have a pop at Cherry who is on-lead and only kept away because I was shouting at it extra loud "NO" continously!

I told the owner he should keep it under control if it wasn't friendly and he said it was my fault for having my dog on a lead and I shouldn't have her on a lead(!)

Talking to other dog owners I found out this dog had bitten at least 2 other dogs and had knocked an older lady over just when she had come out of hospital after falling down an escalator. I looked up the terms of the dangerous dogs act and told his friend (who runs the pitch and putt course on the heath) to tell the owner if I saw this dog off-leash and umnmuzzled again I would report it to the dog warden.

Result of this was he walks it on a leash/muzzled now-good! He even changed direction when he saw me coming with Cherry!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >