View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2009, 08:31 AM
As far as Staffies go, I think Rescues really are caught between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
So many coming in, so many pts, not so many rehomed. So I guess you try everything to make people notice these poor loves who need a home. Including no fee. Everyone asking for one will still be given a home check.
Desperate times, desperate measures - and if it makes someone who was thinking about a dog think about a staffy, why not?
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2009, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Hmmm. That would be a no from me.

Me and OH were walking round our local RSPCA once when we saw a man with a spaniel on a lead walking towards a kennel (he worked there). We said 'awwwwww' as you do, to which he replied 'do you want it?' We said 'no thanks...we can't right now' to which we got the response' if you take it now, you can just take it, no paperwork, just go' We declined and left.
TBH I got a cat like that. This was not in england but Canada, I was there to get a cat and there was a guy put down a box of kittens plus mum we went aww and he said do you want one.
We took one and eventually came back to England the cat came as well and died of old age in 2000.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
TBH I got a cat like that. This was not in england but Canada, I was there to get a cat and there was a guy put down a box of kittens plus mum we went aww and he said do you want one.
We took one and eventually came back to England the cat came as well and died of old age in 2000.
Awwwwwww.

Still naughty though.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2009, 09:04 AM
In all honesty...I do understand it...but I think it devalues the breed.
It turns it into a bargain bucket dog...they would be better charging more so people know there is something special about them.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-12-2009, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Well it will make their euthanasia figures look slightly better I suppose.

Do you think people getting a free staffie will be be able to pay vets bills, training class bills etc?

Very bad idea IMO.

rune
I agree, think its a terrible idea, are they going to relax the rules on vetting homes too, just so they can find homes for these poor dogs.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2009, 09:21 AM
I have mixed feelings.

What I did with the cat was naughty, I agree.

You can buy a pup no home checks no questions asked easily enough for around £50.

If someone passes all the home checks and they don't drop standards to to get shut, then I can't see the harm especially if they are speyed.

No one is going to want a speyed " status" dog can't have pups and it is going to be difficult to look hard with a dog with no balls.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Nicci_L View Post
Providing proper home checks are carried out and the dogs are spayed/neutered, I can't really see what the problem is - surely it's better than being dead or having to be in kennels for a long, long time

Whats the alternative with the rescue crisis as bad as it is?
I agree and don't really have an issue as long as the dogs are neutered and homechecks etc in place.

As for money,money guarentees absolutely nothing,no home for life,no guarentee of vets bills been paid etc....

As long as the dog gets a home and is loved and cared for does it realy matter if it cost £1000 or was free ?
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-12-2009, 09:34 AM
I think as long as home checks are in places then its fine who cares how much you pay for it.
All the people that would want one to breed from are still going to buy a pup or one from free ads anyway.

We got a dog for free from a rescue centre. He was having a really hard time in the kennels we had his brother from the same litter we went to have a look at him and came home with him no home check no money paid.
He is 13 years old now and lives the high life. We took him on when he was 10 months old he was taken to the vets to be PTS buy his owner who had enough of him weeing on the floor and running away all the time. He had scars on his nose which they thought were ciggerette burn marks.

I really don't think it matters how much you pay.
I couldn't afford to pay £150 at the moment to buy a dog form a rescue but if someone gave me a dog I could afford another sack of food and £15 a month to insure it.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
In all honesty...I do understand it...but I think it devalues the breed.
It turns it into a bargain bucket dog...they would be better charging more so people know there is something special about them.
Its not the rescue that have devalued the breed - its all the unthinking people who have been churning them out.

Admitedly I'd rather a dog was pts than end up in the hands of someone who was going to try and use it for fighting etc. But I'd also rather a dog was in a less than perfect home (e.g. maybe they don't get long walks regularly or maybe left alone longer than normal 'rules' would recommend) than languishing in kennels for most of their lives. on Dogsey we all have very high standards of how we expect a dog to live, but many, many dogs live a completely happy life with less.

I've seen what long term kennel stays can do to this breed and it is heartbreaking.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-12-2009, 10:31 AM
I think as long as the home checks are carried out and potential new homes vetted as thoroughly as possible then I think it's a wonderful idea. Staffies are lovely dogs and don't deserve the cr@p they get in life. Taking on a free dog has no bearing on whether or not you can afford vet bills etc. surely that's part of the vetting process anyway.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >