Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 10:55 PM

Bradley Is A Superstar

Bradley has been to his first obedience training lesson and was absolutely brilliant. Considering he has only been taught to sit, and I've only done that over the last couple of days, he did really well.

The class contained just 10 puppies of various ages, he was the youngest and the newest but we were made to feel very welcome. There were a couple of ladies that obviously take their training very seriously and their pups already knew so many of the commands, I did feel a bit awkward being inbetween them, especially when Bradley got a bit bouncy at one point and distracted their dogs. It is my aim that we will be as good as them one day, so long as Bradley continues to enjoy it.

What really amazed me was when we had to get them to lay down and we stepped to one side, having let go of the leads, and we had to tell them to stay. He didn't move a muscle, he just lay there, looking around, I could hear the others talking to their dogs telling them to stay but I was worried that he would move if I spoke to him. I always speak to mine when I'm show training them but thought he would jump up to see me if I said anything. They stayed there for what seemed an age but I think it was probably only about a minute. If he is staying put should I leave well alone or is it vital to keep repeating the command?

I am a bit confused so I will have to ask next week. I wanted him to do the KC Good Citizen Puppy Foundation and I have been given the paperwork for it, its just that the trainer mentioned that the next course will be in February. I didn't think that this was a course but based on attendance and that each week he would be assessed on certain things. Maybe she was talking about the bronze award as I did ask if you can go straight onto that once you've done the puppy bit.

I think the overall opinion is that he thoroughly enjoyed himself, he particularly liked a sweet little westie girl who had the most beautiful pink sparkly diamante collar on. She wasn't too impressed with him though, I think she preferred the chinese crested pup.

He slept all the way home, and has been tucked up in bed with Leonie for about an hour. Mind you, he had eaten about 1/2 a pound of sausages so is probably too stuffed to do anything other than sleep
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 10:56 PM
Well Done Bradley xx
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by Trixy View Post
Well Done Bradley xx
Thanks very much Trixy x
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 11:46 PM
Well done to you both. it's such a good feeling when they do well.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by skjerstad View Post
Well done to you both. it's such a good feeling when they do well.
Thanks skjerstad, I was so pleased with him, bless his little heart.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-12-2006, 11:54 PM
Well done to ya both
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
Well done to ya both
Thanks Ian.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 11:00 AM
well done to you both. i have just completed my puppy foundation level and we passed and we are starting bronze in january.

hope you both enjoy it and good luck let us now how you are doing.

sam
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 11:13 AM
Well done Bradley and Sheree - woo hoo for your first class.

Re: the down stay - just make sure you don't say his name - if you do want to talk to him use a soft quiet - i say good down stay.

Not sure if you have been shown this but another good tip would be to have a release command - to signal that they can get up from the sit/down etc. The release I used to use would be a pat on their side and ok - then I would show them they can get up with a treat! Does that make sense.

RE: course in Feb - is this the test? We used to do a six week training session followed by a test - just a thought?

good luck and keep enjoying it - don't worry about those serious ones - you'll show them soon enough!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by sjpurt View Post
well done to you both. i have just completed my puppy foundation level and we passed and we are starting bronze in january.

hope you both enjoy it and good luck let us now how you are doing.

sam
Thank Sam, will keep you posted and I know who to get tips off now!, lol.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >