Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 02:31 PM

Is this true?

On one of our walks today, I was adjusting Jamie's lead, so took it off my hand and as I did, a man came near us and I am sure he thought I was gonna swat J with said lead (as if!) because he said "Its illegal to hit a dog with their lead y'know?!"
Now I wouldn't dream of doing that to any of my baubee babes, especially not my darling boy, but can it be true that its illegal to hit with a lead, but legal to use an e-collar?!!!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 02:32 PM
No there are no laws against hitting a dog with a lead (thank god) or anything else.

Of course there ARE laws about cruelty, he was either deranged, a busybody or a tree hugger"
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 03:13 PM
I (am a tree hugger )was upset when saw a woman hitting a dog with the end of a flexi lead recently n thought was cruel/uncalled for
eta you were doing nothing like that n think he was just being a busybody x
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 04:23 PM
The end of a flexi lead is a lot different from the end of a normal lead!!

I walloped mav today with his soft lead....he was drowning ripley as she came out of the water by pulling on her neck hair forcing her head under water...poor girl!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Ignore him, nosy old busy body!

I was once shouted at by a man who bellowed "YOU SHOULD NEVER KICK A DOG" followed by some choice expletives and "stupid woman" comments from the lovely gentleman. My crime was sticking my foot out to stop my rather strong (he was young at the time and not particularly great on the lead) Labrador lunging after a bread crust on the road. Needless to say, the lovely man received some much worse expletives back in his direction.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Ignore him. I once got yelled at by someone because Shadow jumped out at a motorbike that was passing and ended up falling and landing on his side because the lead pulled him up short. I hadn't yanked him or anything but I got a ton of abuse of this woman who threatened to put a chain around my neck and strangle me with it till I passed out so that I knew how my dog felt o.O
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 06:57 PM
I'd ignore him too - I got an old woman having a go at me the other day for allowing Louie to run the full length of the 30ft long line, then not letting it go when he reached the end of it causing him to ya'know where they end up turning back on themselves. Well I did shout stop to him - and he isn't used to a long line yet but he wasn't hurt...I just walked past her going Oh I know silly me, I should just let him chases after the breeding ducks and geese and swans instead..
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 07:39 PM
I was threatened with the RSPCA by a woman who was upset by me batting at my huge GSD Lucy with a Guardian newspaper.. I was desperately trying to stop her going for a cornered cat. When I did haul her away (with cat unhurt, still spitting), I enquired of the furious woman: `Not a cat lover then?`.
footsieG
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-03-2011, 07:41 PM
Hi Clair, I say ignore it aswell, just being, a busybody, who probably has never owned a dog, but thinks he knows everything. One of mine in the past, jump out of the back of the car, without my say so, straight onto the main prom. Rd, I was so shocked at what could of happened, that I shouted and hit him with the end of his lead soft end. This women accussed me of abuse, when I said to her still shaking, would it have been alright if he had caused a car to swerve and hit them. I have to say, I wasn't happy with my reaction, but her words upset me because we ES owners love our dogs, as everyone on here does. But for someone to think I was abusing my beautiful Reiva, never in a million years. Gayle, Kyesh and Jasper. Xx