Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sandrine75
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2010, 10:34 AM

Today's big adventure!

Since the weather has been nice over the past few days I decided to see if El Vez would like to try his paws at swimming, so off to Hampstead Heath on a train we went.
I had to carry him into the carriage as the gap was a bit frightenning, only 2 stops but he ended up on my knees as he was freaked out by someone snoring.
We got to the Heath and he took off after 2 spaniels he spotted from afar, the owner was really nice and they played for a while. I had to get him back on lead to get him away and released him again when they were out of sight. We carried on off lead for a while, he was really good, saying hello to other dogs and catching up with me until we started to see dog after dog and off he went again not listenning when I recalled, I finally managed to get him back on lead and we got to the swimming pond. A few dogs were jumping in and out of the water, El Vez got close to the edge put his nose in and his paws but he was not going to go in because chasing wet doggies near the pond is much nicer! I tried to move him along, managed to do so until he spotted a golden retriever and decided to go and play, and then encountered a jack russell who was not happy to meet him,no amount of recall would make him come back, I finally managed to get him back to me when he followed a westie walking my way. I really had enough and put him back on lead and decided to leave the park. On our way home, we cut through another park, I was really worried about letting him off lead but thought I have to trust him.
Would you believe it, he was perfect, passed a couple of dogs, had a sniff and walked on, waited for me at every intersection, his recall was perfect when I distracted him from the dogs we spotted afar. Seriously, what happened between the 2 parks in 20 minutes?
I got home and I am elated. Now I need to hang on to that feeling the next time he decides to follow other dogs and ignores me. i now know do it!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Hi,

i think El Vez was having such a nice time that firstly he didn't want to stop playing. Secdondly, maybe he picked up on you feeling alittel frustrated when he didn't go in the water but wanted to play on dry land adn then as he doesn't do as you command, you get even more frustrated - hence going rouns in circles trying to get him to do as he should and him ignoring you.

Once you decided in the second park that you'd had enough but you just had to trust him, your frustration would have gone. You would ahve been more relaxed generally and so when you recalled him he came, as youwould usually expect.

I don't think it was anything you did or didn't do and I do't think there was any difference between the 2 parks. You were just more relaxed and easy going in the second park.

I would recommend though more practice on his recall, just to make sure he does as he is told each and every time you want to recall him.

Laura xx
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Dogs eh? Bless him he obviously had a good time and proved eventually that he can be a good boy.
sandrine75
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
Hi,

Secdondly, maybe he picked up on you feeling alittel frustrated when he didn't go in the water but wanted to play on dry land adn then as he doesn't do as you command, you get even more frustrated - hence going rouns in circles trying to get him to do as he should and him ignoring you.
I was not really expecting him to go in the water as it was his first encounter, so that did not really frustrate me, the part where he recalled form the water dogs walked a hundred yards with me and then spotted the retriever at the other side of the hill and went for it was the frustrating bit
(I had an Irish setter who was scared of water, so whe someone suggested this morning that I just threw El Vez in
was a big no no for me, he'll go in when he is ready )
sandrine75
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Dogs eh? Bless him he obviously had a good time and proved eventually that he can be a good boy.
I know, he can do no wrong for the rest of the weekend