View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 12:20 PM
I always rummaged to the back of the shelves (when I shop in there, which is not very often) thanks for the heads up though x
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
my mum was in my local asda today, and was buying some baby food. the woman who served her told her to always check dates of the products in asda. she told my mum that her friend bought tins of cat food from there that was 2 years out of date! her cat got very sick very fast, and was on deaths door. lucky she managed to take her cat home, back to health with a £250 vet bill.

she said they are bad with dates, this might just be my local asda im not sure. just wanted to let everyone know if they are getting dog or cat food from asda, check the dates.
I woul;dn't have thought petfood out of date in tins would make any difference if they ate it. After all my dogs and cats eat an out of date tine of fgood is the least of their worried. Not only that but she may have got it wrong like my lady who told me she had been sent home from hospital with out of date paracetamols. I told her Best Before June 10 is June 2010 not the 10th of June!

Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I haven't shopped in Asda for years because I once pointed out to the produce manager the cheese on display was actually mouldy. He took it off me and shouted to someone out the back to cut the mouldy bits off and repackage it
I have my diploma in cheese and that's exactly what you do with cheese. In the very high class deli I worked in Monday morning's job was to go round and check for mould and cut it off and repackage it. Cheese rind is often made of old.... and genuine stilton is often covered with cheese mites in it's rind.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Agree with Wishbone re cheese.. Cheese is already mouldy... and the sell by date is more a guideline than a rule. I regularly keep and eat cheese well past it's sell by and will just cut the mould off and carry on eating cheese...

In most cases I would always say sell by and best before are guidelines and you should always use your own judgement... We are losing the ability to judge the freshness of food.

But with canned pet food, I can see it would be hard to judge when it was off as it always smells rancid :P ... A good idea then to check the dates...
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Agree with Wishbone re cheese.. Cheese is already mouldy... and the sell by date is more a guideline than a rule. I regularly keep and eat cheese well past it's sell by and will just cut the mould off and carry on eating cheese...

In most cases I would always say sell by and best before are guidelines and you should always use your own judgement... We are losing the ability to judge the freshness of food.

But with canned pet food, I can see it would be hard to judge when it was off as it always smells rancid :P ... A good idea then to check the dates...
cats dont generaly eat off food,unlike dogs!!! mmmm
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 01:09 PM
If the half a dead slimy rabbit Kismet and Selkie polished off yesterday is anything to go by... Dogs seriously don't notice off food :P
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Clearly a damn good reason why I can't stand stilton and cutting mould off cheddar at home is one thing having a vacuum sealed pack opened and trimmed and repacked, not if you want my custom. Yeah you're right though it should be the shops job to check their mouldy merchandise not the shoppers.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I haven't shopped in Asda for years because I once pointed out to the produce manager the cheese on display was actually mouldy. He took it off me and shouted to someone out the back to cut the mouldy bits off and repackage it
eww, that sounds disgusting. i know cheese gets like that but still, opening it up, cutting bits off and sealing it again is just wrong...

Originally Posted by hectorsmum View Post
its not just on the pet foods

i've often found out of date stuff on the dairy isles. i took some yogurts to customer service which were 5 days out of date, and when i went back to check they were taking it off the shelves it was found the whole batch were just as bad.

so now i always check dates and will complain if necessary.
thats shocking , i used to work in farmfoods and they made us go round and check dates of dairy stuff everyday, the rest of the products get checked everytime more is going on the shelf. and every so often we would check the whole shop lol
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-10-2009, 08:59 PM
I always thought tinned foods , be them pet or human, have a very long life span, (yrs) as they should be air tight.

After all thats what people stock up on (or did in the war) in case of hard times.

I cant see how tinned food would make a dog that sick.

Yet, these stores still need to be more careful in leaving out of date perishable foods out..

Mind nothing seems to last more than a few days now
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 11:22 PM
thru cats protection i no a cat who ate cat food that was up2 5 yrs out of date she also had 3 kittens, apart from an upset stomach she was fine. there was poss an underlyin problem with the cat??
ATD x
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
thru cats protection i no a cat who ate cat food that was up2 5 yrs out of date she also had 3 kittens, apart from an upset stomach she was fine. there was poss an underlyin problem with the cat??
ATD x
why was she given food 5yrs out of date?

i dont know all the details, just what my mum told me. the woman said she the food was definitely out of date and had been bought from asda recently! i dont know about the cat, she could have been old or anything, but that isnt the point. out of date food should not be getting sold!!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >