Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2006, 09:10 AM

what to ask when getting a puppy

after some long chats and family descussions we have decied we will get a new staffy pup but ella is 7 now so i dont want to forget any thing important i should ask , or look out a refresh would be great there is a few we might consider but were not in a rush
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2006, 09:22 AM
This Dogweb article contains a list of questions that you should ask the breeder, and a list of questions you should expect a good breeder to ask you: http://www.dogweb.co.uk/dog-articles.php?t=8975
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2006, 09:26 AM
thank you shadow boxer
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2006, 12:02 PM
That article is very good

Also think about what you like in staffies. They seem to vary quite a lot physically, so if you have a particular "type" in mind, the breed club may be able to point you towards breeders that go for the same things.
Molly2606
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2006, 05:31 PM
good luck in your search
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2006, 05:35 PM
How exciting for you. Hope it all goes well
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2006, 05:51 PM
What a great thread! Shadowboxers tips are brilliant!:smt023 I'd like to make all prospective puppy-owners read this before buying This will be of real help to lots of other people I am sure.

Ohh Ella's mum you must be so excited! Hope you find the pup you are looking for soon.

One thing I always check out is things like Hip Scores and if their Eyes have been tested, stuff like that. I don't know a lot about Staffies but usually pedigrees are predisposed to certain health probs, ie: in Rotts and GSDs they need to have good hip scores as hip displaysia is prevelent.

Perhaps someone else on here could advise you which health probs staffies suffer from and what to look out for?

I think you cannot go wrong from good word of mouth in finding a reputable breeder, good luck!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-06-2006, 07:03 PM
Good luck in your search.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-06-2006, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by Ozzysmom

Perhaps someone else on here could advise you which health probs staffies suffer from and what to look out for?
I'm not a breed expert but I do know that the breeder should have his/her breeding stock tested for L2-HGA (L-2-Hydroxyglutaric aciduria). Hereditary cataracts and Persistent hyperplastic primary vitreous (PHPV) also affect the breed. Hip dysplasia and Demodicosis may also occur.
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2006, 07:22 AM
i read all through it yesterday and found it really helpfull but now i have another issue we are ment to go view a pup tom and i spent ages chatting to the ladie yesterday on msn , i asked alot of the questions but one thing she said is the pups will be ready begging of july she said there be 7 weeks then when i asked why not 8 weeks she said they are moving 8 july now there not kc reg so i will have no insurance or address if any thing happens . the pic she sent me they were 3 weeks when i worked it out they will only just be 7 weeks and im not sure i dont want to be responsilble for taking a pup to soon from her mum i haven slept a wink hence why im on here so early any advice would be very appreciated
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >