Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jess_the_pup
New Member!
Female 

03-01-2015, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
thays fabulous news Jess!!! I think the No's have it dont you ? After all the proof of the pudding is always in the eating
'No' has seemed to work for Jess over the last week, however i assume its the way im saying it rather than what the word actually means. But to be honest, regardless im just glas shes starting to understand that im asking her to stop whatever it is that she shouldnt be doing when im saying it.

Overtime i know she will hear the word (sound) and understand that she should stop whatever it it shes doing. But overall i am so pleased with her progress this week, and im going to enrol her in some puppy classes to get her used to be around other pups/dogs and learn as much as she can
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2015, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by Jess_the_pup View Post
'No' has seemed to work for Jess over the last week, however i assume its the way im saying it rather than what the word actually means. But to be honest, regardless im just glas shes starting to understand that im asking her to stop whatever it is that she shouldnt be doing when im saying it.

Overtime i know she will hear the word (sound) and understand that she should stop whatever it it shes doing. But overall i am so pleased with her progress this week, and im going to enrol her in some puppy classes to get her used to be around other pups/dogs and learn as much as she can
exactly!! Youve got it!! It is the way, the sound, the tone of the word that is important! After all words are just expellations of air, the same as any noise. What the dog understands is not the language - not the literal meaning of the word - but the implication of that noise / sound.

I am so pleased to hear you are making progress ... go for it girl!!
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2015, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by Jess_the_pup View Post

Overtime i know she will hear the word (sound) and understand that she should stop whatever it it shes doing.
As Gnasher has already said, you are right to assume its the sound and also tone of voice rather than the word .
I believe we have been saying the same thing but it goes further than what Gnasher has said in her last post.

Short clipped words work well and the tone makes a difference. The tone of voice and also your body language (dogs are very aware of body language , it is their main form of communication ) give your pup clues that all is not well . We normally talk to our dogs in a nice way , so changing our voice to a sterner or louder tone will at least make her take notice , and depending on the dog it might make her a bit anxious or even scare her .

The word No and tone of voice are connected or entwined together.
If the tone consistantly stops her from biting then I think its safe to assume she understands what the tone means . If she understands what the tone means, it will give meaning to the word No. she will make the connection between the word No itself and the stop biting part . It is paired with it .
After that it isnt necessary to use that harder tone or body language, the word No said in any tone has meaning , she knows that No in this case means dont bite.

I hope that makes sense, its quite a lot to get your head round and even harder to explain .

This is part of The learning theory , I'm sure you've heard of Postive reinforcement , it works with all mammal including us humans. if you want to more theres loads of explanations on google or in dog training books.

But overall i am so pleased with her progress this week, and im going to enrol her in some puppy classes to get her used to be around other pups/dogs and learn as much as she can
Thats a good idea. i'm sure she'll enjoy it .
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2015, 02:40 AM
I'm so pleased you're making progress there!!! Like everyone has said tone is the important thing, don't waste words. For my house it's "Hey". I stretch it out and make my voice low. And even the cats stop and look. When Mom says "Hey" like that, someone has seriously screwed up. Best of luck, you can do it!!!!
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2015, 09:33 AM
F orgot to add :

Dont consider No as a command like Sit or down . Its not considered to be one.

It is something added (unpleasant) to decrease a behaviour.

Technically a positive punisher.

http://www.wagntrain.com/OC/index.htm

i dont have strict rules my house such as dogs never allowed on the sofa. I have taught and an teaching my dogs good manners , Like most people, I dont want my dogs to bite , or jump up or pull or bark too much .
I dont expect them to be perfect , they get tired or over excited or prefer to do some thing else. I also take into account that i have made mistakes in training or used the wrong instruction , saying down instead of off when i want them off the sofa. (Down means lie down)
They need to be reminded at times and I would rather remind them with a treat or a stroke then in a withdrawal or reprimand .
Positive reinforcement can be very quick and effective , i also like to direct to a dog to do something else , rather then say knee a dog in the chest if it jumps up you , i would rather get it to sit and then reward it .
But in real life, there are times when withdrawal , a time out or raising a voice is necessary and I do that.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2015, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by Dibbythedog View Post
As Gnasher has already said, you are right to assume its the sound and also tone of voice rather than the word .
I believe we have been saying the same thing but it goes further than what Gnasher has said in her last post.

Short clipped words work well and the tone makes a difference. The tone of voice and also your body language (dogs are very aware of body language , it is their main form of communication ) give your pup clues that all is not well . We normally talk to our dogs in a nice way , so changing our voice to a sterner or louder tone will at least make her take notice , and depending on the dog it might make her a bit anxious or even scare her .

The word No and tone of voice are connected or entwined together.
If the tone consistantly stops her from biting then I think its safe to assume she understands what the tone means . If she understands what the tone means, it will give meaning to the word No. she will make the connection between the word No itself and the stop biting part . It is paired with it .
After that it isnt necessary to use that harder tone or body language, the word No said in any tone has meaning , she knows that No in this case means dont bite.

I hope that makes sense, its quite a lot to get your head round and even harder to explain .

This is part of The learning theory , I'm sure you've heard of Postive reinforcement , it works with all mammal including us humans. if you want to more theres loads of explanations on google or in dog training books.

Thats a good idea. i'm sure she'll enjoy it .
Dibby, with the greatest respect I have been saying this all along:- here is an example:-

As far as training using words is concerned, it is the consistency of the sound that it is important, not the word that you use. I personally like the word "No!!" because it is short, sweet and sharp and some assertion and emphasis can be put onto the first letter, the consonant "N". You could just as easily say "Boo!" or "******" or any other short sound. Or indeed, do a Cesar Millan "oi!" or "tsssk". But I like the word No! said with emphasis and assertion, and I will continue to use my No simply because it works for me, and more importantly it works on my dogs! Coupled with a pointed finger, it is very effective at instantly stopping unwanted behaviour.

I have stated quite clearly there that is SOUND not WORD ... I actually like the NO word, because it is a short, sharp, assertive SOUND.

I am just as likely to use "AH" ... as I did this morning on the bed when Ben started to hypergroom his leg.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2015, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by Dibbythedog View Post
F orgot to add :

Dont consider No as a command like Sit or down . Its not considered to be one.

It is something added (unpleasant) to decrease a behaviour.

Technically a positive punisher.

http://www.wagntrain.com/OC/index.htm

i dont have strict rules my house such as dogs never allowed on the sofa. I have taught and an teaching my dogs good manners , Like most people, I dont want my dogs to bite , or jump up or pull or bark too much .
I dont expect them to be perfect , they get tired or over excited or prefer to do some thing else. I also take into account that i have made mistakes in training or used the wrong instruction , saying down instead of off when i want them off the sofa. (Down means lie down)
They need to be reminded at times and I would rather remind them with a treat or a stroke then in a withdrawal or reprimand .
Positive reinforcement can be very quick and effective , i also like to direct to a dog to do something else , rather then say knee a dog in the chest if it jumps up you , i would rather get it to sit and then reward it .
But in real life, there are times when withdrawal , a time out or raising a voice is necessary and I do that.
Time out does not work with any "northern breed" type that I have ever had ... but with that exception, I agree with most of what you say.

Actually, with a very large dog like Ben weighing in at 45 kilos, a knee in the chest when he jumps up at me ... and he does, he is an exuberant happy chappy and we would never want that to change ... is an instant and safe solution for me. I am no spring chicken, and have completely knackered knees and now arthritis all over my body. I am very stiff, and having lost a lot of weight, bony and cannot afford to be felled! A raised knee enables me to keep my balance and stop him jumping up on me and bringing me down.

Also, clearly, you use words ... DOWN, SIT etc. You don't cough at your dog to get him to sit or lie down, neither do you "ignore" him to make him sit or lie down. You use a simple, one syllable word which is extremely effective and very easily learned by any dog ... not in terms of language, but in terms of SOUND.

Excellent!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2015, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by lovemybull View Post
I'm so pleased you're making progress there!!! Like everyone has said tone is the important thing, don't waste words. For my house it's "Hey". I stretch it out and make my voice low. And even the cats stop and look. When Mom says "Hey" like that, someone has seriously screwed up. Best of luck, you can do it!!!!

My favourite is ..... "G-o-o-o-o-d BOY Ben!! In a high pitched excited voice at the first syllable of good, and then more softer and smoochier for the next two words, accompanied by an affectionate ruffle of his ears if close to me. Ben has gone from being a dog who hated to be touched, let alone cuddled, to one who gives and receives regular Mamma kisses! I say to him "Kiss Mamma!" and he obligingly licks my nose ... disgusting I know, but hey he is regularly wormed and it has built up a huge level of trust between us both which was never there to start with. I will regularly bend down and give him a big hug ... something that would make him snarl at the start.

I could bang on for ever about how wonderful and very special he is and bore the pants off everyone!!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2015, 11:36 AM
The slobbery disgusting kisses I can do without, but they seem to be proud when they've made you happy, even if sometimes it was them stopping something when asked. If you're happy with your dog and you show it, he's mega happy.

My Nigredo mainly likes to pick things up he shouldn't. When I tell him to bring it over, he grudgingly does it, but when I take it and he gets the big "Good Boy!!" he nearly jumps for joy. He totally forgets he was just fussed at for being naughty.

It's really not a big deal, as long as you aren't hitting or kicking or whatnot, feel free to train your dog in whatever ways work. Not all methods are right for all dogs. Nigredo has been a treat to own, learning everything almost instantly... but the clickers drove us nuts and I see nearly all Labrador types on YouTube being trained by them. They were not right for us, but I don't go saying they don't ever work.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2015, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post

. I am no spring chicken, and have completely knackered knees and now arthritis all over my body. I am very stiff, and having lost a lot of weight, bony and cannot afford to be felled! A raised knee enables me to keep my balance and stop him jumping up on me and bringing me down.

Thats me to a T except I raised my knee I would fall over
A while back a young goldie ran into me full pelt , I ended up with a fractured knee and ankle . its not true that if you stay still a dog wont run nto you .

I guess No doesnt stop dogs jumping up at you LOL

loads of Northern breeds down here in west london/ Middlesex area . Sad that loads are ending up in rescue.
most are kept on leads and I dont think they get enough exercise or stimulation .
Page 10 of 15 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »