Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
I think this thread needs to be separated as it has gone waay off topic for several pages!!

I totally agree with you Hali. Whilst I totally admire Mary Ray and her dogs performances, I do feel it is time for a change.

I would love to see a Gundog or Police/Army Display team for instance. Or some working trial performance - something different for a change.

Not taking anything away from Mary and her outstanding ablilities as a trainer either. I think she is amazing, but I do feel it is time to allow others into the spotlight - literally!!
I have never had a thread run to so many posts, even if most of them are off topic. Thanks to those who have tried to pull it back!
What ever the BBC show I would just like them to employ a cameraman who can follow the action. Whether it be HWTM, Police dogs or other working dogs, please let us see the dogs not swirling lights
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
I have never had a thread run to so many posts, even if most of them are off topic. Thanks to those who have tried to pull it back!
What ever the BBC show I would just like them to employ a cameraman who can follow the action. Whether it be HWTM, Police dogs or other working dogs, please let us see the dogs not swirling lights
totally agree but to be honest the BBC programme has always been more about the presenters with dogs taking a back seat in spite of the fact that crufts is a dog show! I really like the idea of an army or police display team or maybe working trials, one of the things I really enjoy watching is the army display at olympia with the horses, amazing!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Thats showbiz
There are so many things we could be seeing. Maybe we should all be petitioning the BBC
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Thats showbiz
There are so many things we could be seeing. Maybe we should all be petitioning the BBC
yeah get them to put a couple of stuffed toys on the couch or maybe a couple of logs would be about the same then they could just get the camera man to wander around the NEC talking to people at random
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by colliemad View Post
yeah get them to put a couple of stuffed toys on the couch or maybe a couple of logs would be about the same then they could just get the camera man to wander around the NEC talking to people at random
Lol, good idea
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 09:09 PM
totally agree but to be honest the BBC programme has always been more about the presenters with dogs taking a back seat in spite of the fact that crufts is a dog show! I really like the idea of an army or police display team or maybe working trials, one of the things I really enjoy watching is the army display at olympia with the horses, amazing!
Thats showbiz

Totally agree with both of you!!!

Colliemad, I always enjoy Olympia, including the dog display teams. Crufts coverage could learn a lot from Olympia actually.

They show a wide variety of the action, they have professional presenters that don't read silly emails out and patronise the audience!! But, best of all they just get on with showing all the action, it is superb.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 09:11 PM
A dog with mild CEA does not have impaired vision, it is an abnormality in the development of their eye, a severely affected dog however is a totally different matter as is merle to merle breeding
Affected is affected, nobody knows how it will affect each individual dog, like HD, a "mildy" affected dog could well be crippled in later life, a dog with PRA could be blind at 4, but some are perfectly fine at 10!
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2008, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Affected is affected, nobody knows how it will affect each individual dog, like HD, a "mildy" affected dog could well be crippled in later life, a dog with PRA could be blind at 4, but some are perfectly fine at 10!
but we are not talking about HD or PRA we are talking about CEA which is not a progressive disease. It does not get any worse over time. If a dog is mildly affected as a pup then it is mildly affected when it is old it does not change over time and it will have normal vision throughout it's life. A mildly affected dog is not suitable to breed from obviously though as the disease would be more severe if it produced affected offspring. Since the DNA test became available breeders have no excuse for producing affected pups but before that they could only have a standard examination done on the dog by an opthalmologist, if they were a carrier for the disease that would not show up and they would be passed. It was not possible to know whether a dog carried the disease unless it was mated to another carrier and then produced affected pups. It was not something that was done deliberately, the test was not available at that time to show which dogs were carriers. It was perfectly possible to breed several litters from a dog and never produce any affected pups only to find they were a carrier at a later date when the DNA test came in, it would just have been luck that they were never put to a carrier bitch
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2008, 08:20 AM
and that's exactly the situation Ellie's breeder was in. He always eye tested his breeding stock and it was only when the DNA test came in and he did that that he discovered Ellie's dad was a carrier who was then subsequently neutered and never used again, however, he had never produced any affected puppies!
That doesn't mean he was an irresponsible breeder because he did the relevant test that was available at the time.
Becky
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-03-2008, 08:32 AM
When Mary Ray found out Quincy was a carrier, did she stop using him at stud?
Page 16 of 24 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 > Last »