View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Well it used to be that Murphy got a 5 min cuddle in bed every night just before we went to sleep. However, once we got the pup that stopped (partly because i didnt want her jumping to try and get onto the bed and maybe hurt her legs.) Now on a very rare occasion they are invited onto the bed for a cuddle but very very rarely. I think only three times in the 3 months that we have had her. So i guess its a once a month treat lol

With regards to sofas, in our living room we have a 3 seater leather sofa, 2 single seater leather armchairs and a fabric and foam double bed futon thing. Its a sofa that folds out to be a double bed but it is all foam so like lying on a matress on the floor with really high back and arms lol. Anyway the dogs are not allowed on the leather furniture unless someone is sick and therefore has the spare duvet on there (they can lie on your legs and feet as you and the sofa are covered by the duvet so no scratches). However they know when they are allowed to do that cos they see the spare duvet come out and start making puppy dog eyes at me!!!

The futon thingy is purely a dog bed hehe yes i know they are spoilt rotten! but they are very good with letting other people sit on their bed and for only getting on 'their' sofa and not any of the others. Vienna has however taken to sitting on the garden bench which i didnt want her to do! She likes to sit up there looking like Lady Muck, surveying her once nice garden (now muddy, holey, toy littered mess!)

My parents and Nan dont like the dogs on furniture so when we go to visit the dogs know to stay off the furniture. Although once Murphy did sneak into the dining room and was found by my nan fast asleep on their brand new sofa hehe. Oh and the other day when i took the dogs round to be dog sat by my parents, Murf ran in, headbutted my parents bedroom door open and launched himself onto their bed (with them asleep in it!) All i could hear was shreeks of 'argh! get him off me!' by my mum followed by laughter from my dad. Luckily he only left one dirty paw mark on their lovely WHITE duvet They think it was very funny now.
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Well.. I used to have extensive "discussions" with my ex about this

The deal is, at my parents, she isn't supposed to get on the sofa (but does occasionally), and she sleeps in my room.

As a general rule she will jump on my bed when I first get in, and again first thing in the morning. Inbetween she prefers her own space (as do I).

If I am in my room for whatever reason, she will sit on the bed and watch what is going on.
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2006, 10:58 AM
When I visited with the ex last week he (for some reason!) decided she was OK to sleep on one of the arm chairs.

And she would get on that chair and ONLY that chair, which was good.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2006, 03:52 PM
yes to both!...an hour after i picked her up from RSPCA i gave up trying to get her off the sofa...and besides i love her cuddles...she always sleeps between me and OH under the duvet with her head on my chest and my arm around her...really quite comfortable!
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2006, 05:54 PM
My dogs are allowed on the bed, Riley sleeps on (and sometimes IN!lol) my bed most nights and Lilah comes in for a cuddle in the morning. My mum doesn't have her two on the bed, but they have their own beds on her bedroom floor. We try to encourage them not to go on the sofas unless invited but Chloe has always had a habit of sneaking on one anyway But generally if we're all in the living room they'll sleep quite happily on the floor.

Lilah the pug gets to go on sofas as she is my lap dog and is spoilt!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2006, 02:43 PM
No, I don't allow Oz (or any other dog previously owned) on furniture, in fact I never allow them upstairs at all.

For a large breed stairs can be tricky especially in younger dogs they could easily damage themselves running up and down - also it's a status thing - allowing them on the sofa is elevating their position both physically and mentally. With Rotties I think if you allow them elevated status it will give them preconceived ideas above their station, never a good thing with a dog that loves to dominate!!

Besides...we take up all the room when we lounge on it! LOL
younglady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-05-2006, 03:32 PM
mum is still saying no ! wait til she goes away for three days tho hee hee!!
becky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-05-2006, 06:05 PM
I think it is down to personal choice but once you make that choice you have to be consistant so that you do not confuse the dog.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2006, 05:48 PM
Sofa - definately, end of day snuggle.

Bed - on invitation, nothing better than cuddling your dog when you feel poorly.
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Any furniture ... definately not

I have a leather couch as well and while I suppose it would be tough, I dont want to risk it and I just dont like sharing the couch or the bed, as they are too big
Page 7 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >