View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tye_Bo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-08-2005, 08:41 PM

Advice wanted on becoming a dog groomer.

Hi all

After 10 years of working in iT i figure that there must me more to life than this and I am thinking of training to become a dog groomer and starting my own business. I am really after any advice on this please, how much you could expect to earn, the job satisfaction and the downsides etc? I am not sure if I would purchase a licence from a franchise (I know there are a couple of big ones in the UK eg Bugsies but not sure how much the license would be) and go mobile or do it from my own home?

Any advice, tips, pointers will be greatly received!!

Thanks in advance

Tye_Bo :smt100
Ollienco
New Member!
Female 

10-09-2005, 10:07 AM
Hi Tye_Bo

Call the Pet Care Trust and ask for a list of City & Guilds Dog Grooming training centres.
To train properly can take time and alot of money.
I trained during the YTS years got paid peanuts but got my C&G's in Dog Grooming.
I left and started my own business up 10 years ago.
The C&G not only teach you how to trim each breed they also teach Anatomy and Physiology, this is invaluable when getting to the bottom of coat/skin issues your pet client may have.If you know how a dog/cats body works then you know how their diet/lifestyle can effect their coat and skin (amongst other things)
These mobile groomers can be good but, as with many industries, the proper training isn't always given, I don't see how anyone can learn how to trim/handstip etc properly in just a few days/weeks training. It took me 18 months working in a grooming salon full time to get the standard expected at C & G level. I know there will be people who aren't C & G trained running successful grooming salons, I'm not saying to be a good groomer you must be C&G qualified but this does put you in good stead. I built my salon up from scratch, it turn into the busiest in the area with the best reputation for quality of grooming, knowledge, and my genuine care over any pet within my care.
You have really got to want to do it, it can be phisically demanding and very hard work not only with some of the pets but owners alike. You need to discuss with client what they are expecting/ would like you to do and try an adapt that around the trim style for that particular breed.
There is one massive good point- job satisfaction, a dog comes in looking like the monster from the deep and leaves you looking like the breed it is with it's tail wagging.
Good Luck.
Lisa