Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
firefox
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-07-2010, 08:10 PM

Post-elbow dysplasia op problems

has anyone else had to had their dog operated on for elbow dysplasia?
My Loki had an op last week to remove some bone and screw together two bits of bone that hadn't fused properly.
He seemed to be doing well but since the op he has been desperately licking/biting at his paw (the only bit of his leg NOT shaved) and scratched his ear on that side so much it is red and I have noticed cuts inside it.
Although he does lick at his stitches he is far more bothered by his wound
I'm taking him back to the consultant on monday to check him over but was wondering if anyone had any experience of this, or any ideas how I can make him more comfortable in the mean time?
Thanks
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-07-2010, 09:14 PM
That sounded quite worrying,could it habe been neurological pain ? Do you have an update ? Hopefully he's feeling a bit better.
firefox
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-07-2010, 09:25 PM
Stupidly, although I mentioned it to the consultant on the phone I forgot to follow it up!
I was too concerned, I guess, with the fact that Loki's screw had come loose and he needed it to be removed and a new one putting in the other side.
Luckily the consultant waived his fees and just charged me for the consumables (bless his socks!) so I only had to pay £250 today instead of £1700!
The nurse reconed it could be to do with constricted blood supply but told me to keep an eye on it when his new bandage comes off.
He now has a HUGE bandage that completely covers his foot and goes right up to his shoulder. He needs to where a plastic bag as a bootee when he goes outside to toilet so it doesn't get wet and needs to be restricted even more than before!!
Let's hope this one fixes it. Poor pooch.
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Poor guy, hope he mends sooner other than later...it's not just about the money is it ?
firefox
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-07-2010, 05:53 AM
Definitely not, but my credit card is maxed out now and its not pay day yet!
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-07-2010, 06:40 AM
My sympathies, Molly had an op for ED at around 6 months, thankfully she was insured! She is now 9 and with hydrotherapy and green lipped muscle supplements she is leading a normal life. We can't overwalk her but she has needed very few interventions from the vet. I hope your boy can go on to recover as well as that.
firefox
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Thanks for that Aliwin -makes me feel better for the future!
He is still trying to roar around the house but hopefully this time we can keep him quiet enough to heal.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Aw bless little Loki, he is still so young
Have you had to postpone your hol?
Keep us updated of his recovery please x
firefox
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
Aw bless little Loki, he is still so young
Have you had to postpone your hol?
Keep us updated of his recovery please x
I was going away with my parents, so they are taking the kids with them and I'm staying at home to look after Loki.

I'll definitely keep you updated. At the moment he's driving me crazy with excess energy!