View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
elle bee
New Member!
Female 

17-06-2008, 01:34 PM

How Old Does A Bitch Have To Be To Mate??

Ello

I Have A Pug Bitch Who Is 10 Month's Old She As Had Her First Season
And I Would Like To Now How Old She As To Be Before She Can Be Mated
And What Day Of There Season She Will be As She Was Standing For My Black Pug At Day 12 Is That Day Bout Right
Any Information Will help thank You
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Certainly NOT on her first season thats for sure, I would normally wait til a bitch is at least two years old, and before I even contemplated having her covered, I would ensure she had passed all the relevant health test required for the breed, and the same would apply for the sire too. 10 months is way to early to breed from she is only a baby herself.

Mo
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Hi - my breeder said if i was going to breed my leo then i had to wait till she was 2yrs old at the earliest.

Linda
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-06-2008, 06:56 AM
We would never breed a bitch until she is at least two years old. This gives you time to:

1. Make sure she is mature enough (physically and emotionally) to cope with a litter.
2. Assess whether or not she is actually good enough to breed from (in terms of the show ring, working trials etc - whatever applies to your breed).
3. Make sure that she is a perfectly healthy specimen of the breed and has had (and passed) all the health tests recommended by your breed's clubs and societies.
4. Make sure that you are prepared for the sheer hard work and responsibilities of breeding a litter.
5. Make sure that you have the financial resources to cope with huge vet fees if something goes wrong. Vet treatment can easily mount into the thousands and whelping is the one thing that insurance companies won't cover.
6. Make sure that you understand your responsibilities as a breeder. It is not something to be taken lightly.
7. Make sure that you have puppy buyers lined up for your pups even before the dogs are mated. Being sold off on internet sites like any other commodity is not the best start for a dog.
8. Make sure that you have spoken to lots of (reputable and responsible) breeders to see how they do things.

Finally, the brutal fact is that there are huge numbers of unwanted dogs out there. Can you be absolutely sure that your litter won't be adding to this problem?

Sorry if much of this sounds negative, but there are too many people out there just breeding litter after litter for no other reason than cold cash. Our dogs deserve better than that!

Mick
elle bee
New Member!
Female 

18-06-2008, 08:28 AM
Thanks For The Advice
it has been very helpful to me.
My Both Pug's Will Be Having All The Health Test Done
Be for I Even Think Of Breeding Her.
My Sire Is Only 3 Months Old And Hasnt Got A Clue Wht
To Do Lol
(that A Good Thing At Her Age)
Plus Even If He did he Wouldnt Of Bin Able To Get To Her As She Had Doggy Pant's On
I Now That There Are A Lot Of Abandoned Animals Out There But Not Ever Boby Is Like That There Are People
What Are Loving And Wanting Pup's
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 12:21 AM
dont underestimate a 3 month old dog and also please be careful and keep them carefully seperated as "doggy pants" wont stop wither of them.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 12:30 AM
Sorry I'm really confused why would you pose the question if you weren't debating wether to breed from her next litter.
By the way sorry but could you please not use text speak and capitols I find it really hard to read your post.
Hope I havent offended you its just an observation :lol
elle bee
New Member!
Female 

19-06-2008, 08:30 AM
What are you on about using text speak it is normal
and everbody who as replyed back to me as said to breed her at 2yr's old and you have just said her next littler she would only be 16 months old
what are you trying to say as evrythink what as bin posted
as made sence but you have totaly confused me (Lol)
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 09:58 AM
Morganstar is `on about` the forum rules, [ which ideally should be read before members start posting ] :

http://www.dogsey.com/posting-guidelines.htm

"6) Some things that are not allowed

9. No text or teen talk, and please make sure your posts are legible - Our community areas are not 'chat rooms' so please take time to preview your postings before hitting the submit button, use proper punctuation and spelling. Please make sure the language you use is commonly understood English. It is discourteous to the reader not to bother to make ones posts legible - such posts will be deleted, so please make sure you spend a little time previewing them before hitting the submit button. If you have trouble spelling there are lots of free spell checkers around, such as: www.spellcheck.net. Thanks for your understanding - if we didn't have this rule much of the site would become illegible, and that's not something we want."

The apparent confusion regarding age, if I understand correctly, is that if you are thinking of breeding on her next season when you estimate she would be around 16 months, she would be too young still.

Also, you say your male is only three months old at the moment - he should also be at least two years old as well before he is used, [ to have temperament and conformation properly assessed by independent Breed experts if not in the Show ring ], as well as health tests as mentioned, so that would put your bitch at around 2 years 7 months at the earliest before it would be a suitable time to breed from them as a pair, [ if they turn out exemplary enough examples of their breed therefore suitable to breed from at all that is, it`s far too soon for anyone to be able to tell while they are so young and not health tested ].

Might I politely suggest, as you are not experienced, [ given that you didn`t know the minimum ethical age at which to breed from a dog or bitch ], that you read through these Dogsey articles - may as well utilise the time well until she is old enough if you do decide to go ahead ].
Assuming they are KC registered and with good pedigrees, the Breed Club will be able to help you find experts to assess them at the appropriate time if you have`nt done any Showing - not everyone Shows of course but any dogs used for breeding should be of the Breed Standard and good enough that had they been Shown they would have done well, only the best examples should be bred from regardless of if they will be Shown or not, otherwise it does a breed a great disservice and gets breeders a very bad reputation

A Question of Breeding

Thinking about breeding? Think about this...

Hope you find those useful

These are hereditary diseases common to Pugs, which are often not apparent until maturity :

"Breed-related health problems include Pug Dog Encephalitis (PDE), an inflammatory disease of the brain affecting Pug dogs of either sex; skeletal problems - hip dysplasia, Intervertebral Disk Disease (IVD) and patellar luxation; breathing problems - stenotic nares; eye problems - dry eye syndrome (KCS) and other hereditary disorders."

Presumably if you are planning to breed, your pup`s lines are completely clear of these diseases and has been verified by their breeders ?
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Thanks Patch, just what I was trying to saybut as usual you put it much more eloquently.
By the way text speak is not normal ome of us still use queens english.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >