Our sister sites
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2006, 07:10 PM

Dog Owners Warned Over Sugar-Free Items

Just read this a little while ago so thought I would post it on here :

Dog Owners Warned Over Sugar-Free Items

NEW YORK (Sept. 30) - Keep those sugarless treats out of Fido's reach. Veterinarians warned on Friday that a commonly used sweetener might cause liver failure in dogs, and perhaps even kill them.

Researchers said for dogs, ingesting even a small amount of xylitol, found in many sugar-free foods, can trigger significant insulin release, which drops their blood sugar and can be fatal.

Their report in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association appears to strengthen the suspected link between the sugar substitute xylitol, thought to make dogs sick, and possible liver failure.

Xylitol, a naturally occurring product, is found in many sugar-free chewing gums, candies, baked goods and toothpastes.

Researchers Sharon Gwaltney-Brant and Eric Dunayer with staff at a poison unit of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in Urbana, Illinois, gathered information on eight dogs treated between 2003 and 2005 after eating products containing xylitol.

Each dog became ill, and five died or had to be put down because of liver failure, possibly from ingesting xylitol.
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2006, 07:20 PM
OMG thats shocking!!!!!!!!!
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2006, 12:27 AM
OMG! Thanks for the warning.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2006, 08:46 AM
I don't give my dogs any treats other than doggy one's.

Thanks for the warning though PJD