Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2006, 06:02 PM
Most of my friends that I see regularly are dog walkers

I don't have many friends from college, most of the people at college are more interested in going out and getting off their head than in animals (and I don't drink).

I don't know if they lack compassion as such, my sister was afraid of big dogs until we got Takara because she'd been attacked. I'd never been attacked but although I was afraid of dogs I didn't know, always wanted one. I was taught not to touch strange dogs, so I became very wary (still, don't think it's a bad thing to teach your kids - I didn't touch them, so I wasn't bitten, so I'm not afraid of them.

I find that you get people who love animals, aren't too fussed, and those who don't like them. I tend to find (massive generalisation) that the ones that don't like them are much quicker to be harsh about anything, especially animals. Never talk to a non-animal person about the death of a pet. I find the general response from them is 'go and buy another one'
MBll
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2006, 06:13 PM
Well I think i would like a few folk that are into animals but fat chance where I am. Especialy the furries. It would be nice to talk to other animal folk & they dont get bored about the talk & think your weird, folk I know have the opinion that animals are a waste of space?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2006, 08:21 PM
My maye Jackie isn't a dog person. You can tell by the way she behaves around my three. She also says the stupidest things as well - she came with me on a walk some years ago (the one and only time) and the dog poo'd and I picked it up. She said incredulously "doesn't it smell!" - er duh! She also thinks they just wee and poo in the house because I'm out........I'm trying to remember why she's my friend again...
tillytails
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2006, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Joanne
I am coming to the conclusion that people who dont like animals lack compassion. Or is that to general an assumption?
Too general maybe.

Looking at it from another angle and if I'm totally honest, I'm ambivalent about kids and don't get gooey over babies. I would do whatever I could if a kid was in trouble but then I don't give to children's charities preferring to give to other causes instead. But I still think I have compassion, it's just small people aren't of much interest to me.

Just think different people have different passions.
mustards mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2006, 09:34 PM
I have friends that don't like dogs, but they will never be really good friends as I can't invite them to my home.

I however have great friends that like my dog even if they don't have dogs of their own but they accept that I love my boy and tolerate my dog the way I do their children

I do have a bit of a problem with adults that pass their fear of dogs on to their children, they are so limiting their future relationships imo

Love me love my dog
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-04-2006, 12:09 PM
I did have one friend that doesn't like dogs (for no particular reason, she just likes cats & dislikes dogs) but she annoyed me so much at Christmas by being mean (imo) to Gadget that I haven't seen or spoken to her since!
Joanne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-04-2006, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by KatieB_23
I did have one friend that doesn't like dogs (for no particular reason, she just likes cats & dislikes dogs) but she annoyed me so much at Christmas by being mean (imo) to Gadget that I haven't seen or spoken to her since!
Thats kind of what Im talking about. My friend doesnt like any animals and hasnt been round to my house since I got the dogs.

And whats really annoying is that she is so nasty about them but then says she only joking. Its just a bit annoying - I mean how would she like it if I slagged of her family and then just said only joking.
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-04-2006, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by Joanne
Thats kind of what Im talking about. My friend doesnt like any animals and hasnt been round to my house since I got the dogs.

And whats really annoying is that she is so nasty about them but then says she only joking. Its just a bit annoying - I mean how would she like it if I slagged of her family and then just said only joking.
Yeah exactly! You just don't do that, do you?!
Maybe you should try that and see how she feel when it's the other way around!
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2006, 03:26 PM
I have a brother in law who is very anti animal ,you know the sort one dog hair on his trousers and they get changed pronto,and stricktly no cats on his lap but i have a rule anyone who comes to visit in my house must except that our animal are also members of our family,and unless our visitors are either younge enough to get hurt ,or elderly enough to be knocked over they either except those rules or dont visit ,but to be honest i think that as with my brother in law if your bought up in a family where no animals are kept as pets you sort of miss out on something importent , which i think might actully be irritrieveable .
Molly2606
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2006, 04:34 PM
animals arn't for everyone my uncle doesn't like animals but when he used to come round and pet (my then dog) buster.
saying that he didn't have kids either maybe it's a fear of responsability(sp?)
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >