Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2005, 11:22 AM

Teaching puppies to walk to heel

Ok,

Would you recommend a harness for a puppy, I don't want to use a harness when Pebbles is older, but is it better for them and better for training not to pull using a harness as puppies?

I'm not sure whether I want to get her onto collars or harnesses to begin with. Or is it good to have a collar as well anyway?

Thankyou,

Lottie
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2005, 11:30 AM
I would try and train them to walk to heel with just a collar and lead. We are having no problems doing it this way with Finn

I have a harness for Star put prefer just the collar and lead so dont really use it.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Thanks Carole I was hoping for that answer, I would prefer to get her straight onto a collar and lead but didn't know if it was the best thing
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2005, 11:38 AM
If you go to puppy classes they will probably teach you how to get your puppy to walk to heel with just a collar and lead anyway
pollaton
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-07-2005, 11:58 AM
if you do it early enough then she will probably be fine on a collar and lead. i have a saint bernard and have to use a halti, because he is so strong. so if something distracts him i still have control, so it sometimes depends on the breed.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2005, 03:04 PM
I will be taking her to puppy classes and starting early so will start with a collar and see how we go. my dad says 'we never used to have all these new fancy things and dogs were trained back then'

Plus, I don't want her on a harness when she's older so it's probably better to start her off on a collar otherwise if I start changing things to on a collar she'll be well confused.

I just wanted to confirm that it wouldn't hurt their necks if they pulled as puppies tis all
pollaton
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-07-2005, 03:10 PM
I Wouldn't Use A Choke Collar That Can Hurt. But A Normal Nylon Collar Will Be Fine
suncaddie777
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-07-2005, 03:15 PM
All you need to do is Try USEING THE lead in the house, JUST don,t try and walk your dog to far just yet if she is still under a year!!! and the Bones are Not strong,
But all you Nead is If she Pull To kEEP stopping and just to put her where you want her To Be, like bye your Knee and if she Pulls Just Stop and Bring her Back to Your Knee, It may take sometime But it really Works. I have used This Method With my Collies Since a farmer Showed me When i was 17 When I got my First Dog, Let me know How you Go, Good luck.
Julie
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2005, 03:52 PM
Thanks Julie, I will certainly try that!
suncaddie777
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-07-2005, 04:31 PM
your welcome, Anytime just Shout let me know how you get on,
Good luck.
Julie
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >