register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Stray Dogs - How many have you found?
0 - None as yet... 13 29.55%
1 ~ 3 19 43.18%
4 ~ 6 6 13.64%
7 ~ 9 0 0%
10 + 6 13.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Cooper
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-06-2005, 11:34 AM

STRAY DOGS - How many have YOU found?

I am not sure if this has been done but I was just interested in how many stray dogs people have found and what they did to help? It seem like so many people have found dogs wandering around with no owner... so I thought I would do a poll.

I found a Cav King Charles (called Benji) one morning, wandering outside my front garden, I couldnt get through to the owner till the evening and it turned out the owner lived 2 miles away, said he always got out but they didnt realise he was missing. They were too busy to collect him, so I had to walk to theres and return him. I am not sure if this was the right thing to do, but I was only about 12... The second time was this lovely Border Terrier X, he owner just let him wander... I waited around for his owner for ages, but didnt find her... the dog just followed me home. I called the dog warden and they said they get called out for this dog at least once a week!!!

So how many have you found everyone - and what happened?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2005, 11:36 AM
None.
To be honest, I can't say I have ever seen dogs walking around here with no owners!
bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2005, 11:47 AM
the first Stray we found we kept
we did try to hind her home but had no luck. then every now and then i get a knock on the door asking is that dog mine 90% of the time its a stafford or a stafford x, most of the time i know whos dog it is but if i dont then i do try to find them, if i can not find them then i rehome the dog
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2005, 11:52 AM
yes ive seen a couple.
first one was a black labrador that we nearly ran over at about 1am on the way home from work. We stopped and was knockin on doors for over an hr to find the owner. When we finally found where the dog lived the lady didnt really care and said he gets out allthe time and said next time i find him i can keep him!!!

The second one was a little black terrier of some sort. Was just wonderin around the street, but as i walked past with indie it was gettin aggressive so i had to leave him there. When i got home i was gonna go back, but my partners parents said that hes always out, the owners dont care!

The third was a cavalier spaniel whom i found wonderin up the common on his own. I rang the number and the lady was at work and didnt kno he had gone. so we put him in our car and drove home and she came and picked him up.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-06-2005, 12:35 PM
none although we have dogs wandering around alone sometimes I do know who owns them.
derbyrottie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-06-2005, 12:40 PM
years ago we had a little jack russell digging holes in our front garden it had no tags or anything, unfortunately the council had to come and fetch it.
when we go to the park there is nearly always a big black cross that is wandering around that a local woman owns, she knows it gets out but as it goes home apparently it ok for him to take himself for a walk on a park that has loads of diff dogs and kids
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-06-2005, 12:45 PM
only a few but as i know the dogs i have got them and took them home.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-06-2005, 12:50 PM
A little while ago I was in the fields with Amy when a Lab x and JRT came trotting across the field diagonally not following the footpath, they had no visible collars and seemed to know exactly where they were going. This was miles from anywhere and not a soul in sight...they ignored me completely then disappeared through the hedge and headed for the next Village. I had never seen them before and have never seen them since. It was all very strange
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2005, 02:01 PM
Well I encountered one when I took Benji down to the nursery to collect my child today. I have met this dog out on its own several times and it is an absolute bloody nuisance It is a Doberman cross Labrador and is very large, bouncy and excitable and every time we meet it Benji gets hurt in some way because it bounces all over him and makes him yelp. After one meeting with it a few months back I was that mad I reported it to the dog warden. I know where it lives (just round the corner from me) and I dread meeting it. I thought maybe they had found it a new home because I haven't seen it out for a while It is just so hard with dogs like this out without their owners because what chance have you of stopping it hurting your dog if there is no one to help you stop it I threatened it with a boot up the bum if it didn't behave
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2005, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur
None.
To be honest, I can't say I have ever seen dogs walking around here with no owners!
Oh boy...come stay at my house!!!!! Look out the window and if you can't see a dog without an owner its a rarity.We have I would say a 'static population' of about 8 strays who are out and about all day every day and then regularly see 'strangers' about .In fact only last week I nearly went over the road and picked up a little Cavalier which was new to the area.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >