Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
I'm not a breeder, but I would be more than impressed if a breeder did all the same checks as a reputable rescue did. It would show to me that they care about where thier pups are going, and who too.
I agree
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
There are breeders and there are breeders as, it appears, there are rescues and there are rescues. I don't think anyones checks and criterias are ever going to match because they all have different opinions on what matters and, in the end, what does matter are successfull homings. If people are achieving that, consistantly, I would say they are good whether they are breeders or rescues and irrespective of what methods they have decided are appropriate and find successfull.
Without going into details regarding Storm, someone actually coming to my home would of been a start. I was never asked for vet references, which as a homechecker, I've always asked for. The rescue in question was happy with the fact that I'd already got a GSD and that I'd previously been homechecked by the RSPCA (that again is another story)

As a H/C'er I ALWAYS visit the home, regardless of how long it takes. I ask questions regarding experience, training, where the dog will sleep etc, etc. If I can't access the home then the rescue is notified. I have never placed a dog where I can't make an appointment with the prospective adopter. After then, I ask for vet references. Providing everything is ok, I then notify the rescue of a prospective home.

I may sound over zealous, but to me, you can have a fantastic home, but it doesn't always make you a good owner.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
There are breeders and there are breeders as, it appears, there are rescues and there are rescues. I don't think anyones checks and criterias are ever going to match because they all have different opinions on what matters and, in the end, what does matter are successfull homings. If people are achieving that, consistantly, I would say they are good whether they are breeders or rescues and irrespective of what methods they have decided are appropriate and find successfull.
The breeders, [ and rescues ], who are getting things right already are not the issue though.
I think what Anne is asking is how to bring the rest up to the same standards, with some sort of streamlining of minimum standards requirements, so looking at how to go about that and what would/should be workable.
[ correct me if I`m wrong on that summarisation please Anne ? ]
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
The breeders, [ and rescues ], who are getting things right already are not the issue though.
I think what Anne is asking is how to bring the rest up to the same standards, with some sort of streamlining of minimum standards requirements, so looking at how to go about that and what would/should be workable.
[ correct me if I`m wrong on that summarisation please Anne ? ]
Your absolutely right and you word it so much better than I do
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
This was a post about reputable rescues and reputable breeders, it wasn't a post about bad breeders or bad rescues. Like I said earlier if someone wants to start a thread about bad rescues, or rescues not following through go ahead.

I wasn't talking about bad rescues, Anne. I was talking about the dog trust which is a reputable rescue and one that you have listed. However even some of the reputable rescues don't have the resources to do home checks. This doesn't make them bad rescues.
You obviously have the resource to follow through your checks. What if YOU alone had to do all of the home checks yourself? It wouldn't be possible, not if you have a high level of dogs. Some rescues are not as lucky as to have the support you obviously do.

That's great, I would have hoped more people would have felt the same.

A lot of people feel the same and do the checks. I can't name names but recently a friend of mine did all the checks with her rotti litter including letters of reference. Most of the litter were local, however a couple of them were a couple of hundred miles away and she still did home checks on them.

Post home checks are extremely valuable probably the most valuable check as you get to see the dog in his/her own environment.

I'm not saying they aren't valuable. What I was saying is normally there is just one post check. What I was saying is you don't do a check on that dog every year of it's life.
By all means correct me if i'm wrong but I've not yet met a rescue who has the resource to do this.

Your wrong I said I did contact breeders, I always do to try and educate them.

I'm not wrong Anne. It was on another post you posted a few months ago stating that you wouldn't let a breeder have a pup back just for them to sell again.

Not at all, I asked the question does anyone know of a breeder that carries out these checks,only got one person that said they did, so assume nobody else here does or knows a breeder that does. I personally think all breeders should do these checks as a matter of policy, I also think all rescues should. Again you'll notice I said most reputable rescues not all rescues as I know myself too well that their are dodgy rescues out there just like I know there are BYBs. Btw not all rescues fundraise of have the time and facilities to do so.
I know of a lot of people that do all or most of these checks. As I said before, a breeder might be one person, where as a rescue would have a resource of a few people to look into these checks.
In terms of fundraising, each rescue has to raise money somehow if they don't have sponsorship,a quick turnover of dogs or other funding
With all due respect facilities or time to fundraise is always available even if just one person is prepared to put the work in.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
I wasn't talking about bad rescues, Anne. I was talking about the dog trust which is a reputable rescue and one that you have listed. However even some of the reputable rescues don't have the resources to do home checks. This doesn't make them bad rescues.
The Dogs Trust’s policy is to carryout pre home checks however on occasions they will wavier a pre home check as they see fit. See one of my previous posts.
The point of this thread wasn't for people to think that Every reputable rescue carries out, Every single one of those checks, All of the time, we certainly don't, no rescue could or should, policies have to be flexible.

I can't name names but recently a friend of mine did all the checks with her rotti litter including letters of reference. Most of the litter were local, however a couple of them were a couple of hundred miles away and she still did home checks on them..
Please do mention which breeder this is I’d honestly like to congratulate them. I too assumed there would be some reputable breeders on here who carried out these checks, but was taken a back when only one breeder replied on this thread saying they did.

I'm not wrong Anne. It was on another post you posted a few months ago stating that you wouldn't let a breeder have a pup back just for them to sell again.
What you’ve said now is correct, but what you said earlier wasn’t correct. See your post below
You said before in a post, if a dog comes in and it has papers you won't contact the breeder of the dog as you don't want it being sold again.
Where possible I always contact the breeders.

I also said on that same thread if I were to ever come across a breeder/breed rescue where I felt 100% comfortable with their rehoming policies, adoption contract and how they housed the dogs, I would consider passing the dog back, enabling us to free up a space for another. Unfortunately I am yet to find one. The breed rescues I do currently work with are all rescue based and not run by breeders.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-06-2007, 11:57 AM
I have slowly ploughed through this and tried to read each and every opinion.
What immediately springs to mind is how unbalanced this thread is and yet again one sided.
It's yet another typical rescues are wonderful and breeders are awful.
You have pulled no punches in the past Anne that you hate breeders and have no time for them.
Your questions were ridiculous to be honest, however I answered them stating the obvious

Again! I did not say all reputable rescues carried out all of these checks, like I said they were examples of checks most reputable rescues carryout,
Off the top of my head other rescues who also ask for vet refs, letters fom council,landlord and/or insist on training;

The Mayhew Animal Home
A number of the RSPCA branches
A number of the Dogs Trust branches
Teckles Animal Sanctuary
HWAR
WAW
Rescue Remedies
Lizzies Barn
Four Paws
Helping Hounds

to name a few.....

One of the rescues who is a member of ADCH is well known to not be a reputable rescue, so no it's not just according to me. Again you make assumptions assuming all members of the ADCH are reputable rescues.

I dont think it is just breeders, Megan.

It strikes me also from reading Anne's various post on various threads, that she is a very harsh uncompromising arbiter for anyone in the dog world - even other rescue people - that dont agree with her on everything.

Yet, if you ask Anne any public interest questions...well, they are just rediculous, apparently.

I agree with AnneUK's point of view on this thread, but tried to balanced and fair in the way I expressed that, and felt it important that *all* the statements that are made to support this threads position are correct and true.

Anne didn't want to see my point, so I have failed miserably there, but I am happy that people will realise she is only *one* rescue point of view, and that others of us can be balanced, flexible, and logical in how we approach people and ideas.
We need dont need to alienate people when are hoping they will visit our centres and rehome our dogs.

In that light, i was very dubious about the list.
Unsurprisingly, I found out:

Mayhew - homechecks, but no mention on their site of additional referances from vets (but accede to the personal knowledge mentioned on this thread)

RSPCA - Homechecks, *maybe*, no mention vets letters.
Teckles - H/C *or* ref from vet/dog warden/other rescue, if are more than 20 miles from Glos/Swin.
HWAR - H/C *or* vets letter ('or' denoted by a "/"')
WAW - H/C *or* Vet Ref
Rescue Remedies - H/C *and* *may ask* for a vet ref
Lizzies Barn - H/C or a Ref (but unspecified)
Four Paws - H/C, no mention of Refs
Helping Hounds - no website.

Also took a mixed sample, and found that FOAL Farm, Last Chance, Battersea, Manchester, Birmingham, Many Tears, Dogs Trust, Blue Cross, Chance Pixies all do not ask for Vets letter in addition to homechecks.

And only one of this entire list asked for details of dog training classes prior to adoption - Many Tears demand all puppies (only) attend classes. This IS a good idea - Syvlia Wragg is also a Dog Trainer.

Back on topic...The point of this thread wasn't for people to think that Every rescue carries out, Every single one of those checks, All of the ime, we certainly don't, no rescue could or should, policies have to be flexible. What I was asking is should breeders carryout the same checks as most reputable rescues. If people don't like the idea of asking for vet ref letters or proof of training, what about most reputable breeders asking for letters from council/landlords/housing and doing follow up checks, and neutering although that's been started on another thread.
Then I agree with Anne, and think breeders should carry out the same checks that are standard ones of most good rescues - pre homechecks, post homechecks, the family should travel to the breeders home to meet the pup and breeder, so they can all be assessed. And any existing pet dog should come to meet the breeder (and pup directly if medically safe), and letters of permission from landlords/councils. And i prefer way more neutering - that is followed up - as there are too many dogs.
And vaccines to be done.
Mayhew Animal Home
Listed Rescue on Dogsey

14-06-2007, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
Mayhew - homechecks, but no mention on their site of additional referances from vets
Just to say that we do ask for vet references. We also ask for proof of training for all of our pups and most of our adult dogs before allowing them to go to their new homes.

The list of rescues and details Anne from AllBreeds Rescue has given, to my knowledge is correct. Obviously not all rescues will state every policy on their website. We too would love to see reputable breeders carrying out the same checks as reputable rescues, hopefully one day they will.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by Mayhew Animal Home View Post
Obviously not all rescues will state every policy on their website.
Obviously? Sorry, I'm not seeing the obvious reason. Can you elaborate?

As someone who shops for almost everything on the web, I believe that too many sellers fail to mention things which may not seem important to them, but may be crucial matters to me, the buyer.
Helping.Hounds
New Member!
Female 

14-06-2007, 03:30 PM
Hello, I’m Sally Wood the liaison officer for Helping Hounds Rescue. I’ve been a secret lurker on her for a while now. Having read through all of this thread felt I compelled to add our rescue’s thoughts on this Matter. As pointed out, at present we do not have an active website, it has been off line for the last few months for maintenance. Although we try to provide as much information as we possibly can on our site, it is inevitable not all of our policies will be found on there. The extensive information we provide is mainly concerning animal welfare.

Helping.Hounds is renowned for being a reputable rescue, we are all very proud of our achievements and our standard of animal care, this extends to our rehoming criteria which includes carrying out an in-depth interview, both pre and post home checks, requesting letters from landlords housing etc, vet reference letters, receipts as proof the owners have enrolled in creditable training classes and if an owner works full time a letter of proof from a creditable dog walker.

I would like to applaud AllBreeds Rescue for starting this thread and for their educative replies. It seems there are some members on here who are intentionally trying to cause trouble, I can only imagine this is because they themselves feel envious or guilty that their standards fall below par. Whether you are a rescue or a breeder your standard of care and rehoming criteria should be your main concern. The Rescues we work with all carry out the before mentioned checks and would hope that eventually all others will do the same.

Keep up the excellent work AllBreeds Rescue you are an inspiration to us all.
Page 20 of 33 « First < 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 30 > Last »